Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » christkindlmarket Chicago

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
How does Santa get down...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:56 PM
63,069 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Collage
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:37 PM
44,606 Views  0 Posts
santahat Santa Speaks 2012
By MMC Editor
10-09-2012 10:26 AM
Last post by lanoraloveselfs
11-26-2012 02:54 PM
93,202 Views  1 Posts
Homemade Ornaments and...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:59 PM
36,051 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,280 Views  0 Posts

Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,608 Times in 1,283 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
christkindlmarket Chicago

The Christkind

The name "Christkindlmarket" originates from the mythical tale of the Christkind (the name changes depending on regional provenance to the diminuitive like Christkindl, Christkindle, and Christkindel). She is a fairy-like being, dressed in a gold and white robe with a crown atop her golden locks. Depending on region and family tradition, either the "Christkind" (pronounced Kristkint) or the "Weihnachtsmann" (Father Christmas or better known as Santa Claus) will be the bearer of gifts.

The tradition of the Christkind is known among German-speaking countries including Germany, Austria and Switzerland, as well as in the Czech Republic, Italy, Liechtenstein, and even some South American countries.

History and Tradition

Inspired by the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany, which began in 1545, the Christkindlmarket Chicago brings a cherished German and European tradition with international flair and local charm to Chicago. Chicago's largest open-air Christmas festival was first held on Pioneer Court in 1996. By special invitation of Mayor Richard M. Daley, Christkindlmarket Chicago moved to Daley Plaza in 1997 and has become a staple event on the plaza ever since. Together with the support of the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Christkindlmarket Chicago has grown to become one of the most popular winter attractions in the heart of the city.

Vision

The vision of the Christkindlmarket Chicago was first conceptualized in 1995. The German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest Inc. (GACCoM) Consulting Services was seeking alternative ways to promote bilateral trade between the USA and Germany. Peter Flatzek, former Vice President of GACCoM, and Ray Lotter, then Manager of Commercial Services for GACCoM, initiated the partnership with the city officials of Nuremberg, Germany. Mr. Lotter invited companies from Germany and the Chicago area to participate in the first Christkindlmarket Chicago in 1996. The market was an instant success and continues to flourish.

The Christkindlmarket Chicago is also the perfect place for teachers and professors of the German language to bring their students. Here, they have the opportunity to practice skills at the market with numerous German speaking vendors. Several educational activities for students visiting the market include: scavenger hunts, interviews with vendors, or even singing German holiday songs for all to enjoy. At the market, students get to experience authentic German traditions without having to travel any farther than the city of Chicago. From Kindergartners to graduate students the message is loud and clear: The Christkindlmarket is fun, fun, fun!
'Tis the season (07-23-2013), Bradmac (07-22-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (07-22-2013), ClaireLovesChristmas (07-23-2013), HollyJolly (08-01-2013), made582 (07-22-2013), snowflake22 (07-30-2013), Sunshine73 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,407 Times in 9,034 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have seen video of the one in Chicago and it looks great! I would love to go back to Chicago someday when they have that going on.

We have a Christkindlemarket here but it's very small. They have only done it for a couple of years. I am hoping it will be bigger every year.

Even better, I would love to go to Germany to their market!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
kizzy (07-23-2013), made582 (07-22-2013), snowflake22 (07-30-2013), XmasDreams (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I have seen video of the one in Chicago and it looks great! I would love to go back to Chicago someday when they have that going on.

We have a Christkindlemarket here but it's very small. They have only done it for a couple of years. I am hoping it will be bigger every year.

Even better, I would love to go to Germany to their market!

Lord me too, it would be nice to be at the original in Germany. One day when I become rich i can travel all the Christmas places i want to.
Christmas-A-Holic (07-23-2013), kizzy (07-23-2013), made582 (07-22-2013), snowflake22 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The husband and I say every year we're going to hit Chicago up during the Christmas season (we live about 2 hours south) and every year the season gets so jam packed the we don't make it.

This year I'm determined - I can only imagine how much fun something like this would be!!!
snowflake22 (07-30-2013), XmasDreams (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Downtown Pittsburgh Santa
Last Achievements

Santa Johnny Boy has shown a merry dispositionSanta Johnny Boy has shown a merry disposition
Markets like this are becoming popular and are growing across the country.

Pittsburgh just started the Holiday Market last Christmas season, based on the one in Chicago. It was a huge success and will be expanding this year.

I'm proud to say that I'm their official Santa Claus, having made the move from Macy's.
Bradmac (08-01-2013), HollyJolly (08-01-2013), snowflake22 (07-30-2013), XmasDreams (07-29-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Santa Johnny Boy View Post
Markets like this are becoming popular and are growing across the country.

Pittsburgh just started the Holiday Market last Christmas season, based on the one in Chicago. It was a huge success and will be expanding this year.

I'm proud to say that I'm their official Santa Claus, having made the move from Macy's.

Wow, that is awesome news friend. would love to hear about it and see pictures of the one in Pittsburgh.

Also thanks for keeping the Happiness and Dreams alive Santa Johnny BOy.
snowflake22 (07-30-2013)