Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Talkin' Turkey (Facts) Did you know?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,420)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Talkin' Turkey (Facts) Did you know?

Turkey Facts

What do you know about turkeys?

Here turkey, turkey, turkey
  • Turkeys are able to adapt to a wide variety of habitats. However, most turkeys are found in hardwood forests with grassy areas.
  • The best time to see a turkey is on a warm clear day or in a light rain.
They what?
  • Turkeys have heart attacks
  • When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead.
  • Turkeys can drown if they look up when it is raining.

• Eat, sleep, gobble
    • Turkeys spend the night in trees. They fly to their roosts around sunset.
    • Turkeys fly to the ground at first light and feed until mid-morning. Feeding resumes in mid-afternoon.
    • Gobbling starts before sunrise and can continue through most of the morning.
    Eyes in the backs of their heads?
    • A wild turkey has excellent vision and hearing. Their field of vision is about 270 degrees. This is the main reason they continue to elude some hunters.
    And they're fast, too!
    • A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds.
    So close, yet so far
    • Benjamin Franklin wanted the national bird to be a turkey.
* I found these facts online..learned something new too!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
Interesting facts, but some of them are about wild turkeys while some pertain to farm raised, such as drowning during rain. Wild turkeys are actually pretty smart.

Oh, and poor old Mr. Franklin keeps getting misquoted on that. It wasn't that he liked the Turkey that much, it's that he really didn't like the Bald Eagle.

None the less, cool post!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Santa's Mentor

Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Thanks for this tid bit of info..much appreciated. Glad you liked the post.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
When I was quite a bit younger, my grandparents had a nice home near a bunch of farms. I remember befriending another boy my age one summer who lived on one that raised poultry among other things. I learned more about turkeys and chicken that summer than anyone from Chicago should know.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

mrspenguin has shown a merry dispositionmrspenguin has shown a merry dispositionmrspenguin has shown a merry dispositionmrspenguin has shown a merry dispositionmrspenguin has shown a merry disposition
That it is interesting. After reading that I realized the best use of a turkey is on my plate.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I knew some of this some I don't think I did.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Santa's Mentor

Same here Billy..some I knew some I didn't...