Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » That special Christmas Eve Tradition

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Grandpa's Christmas Tree...
By MMC Editor
11-19-2011 10:56 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
01-09-2014 01:35 PM
3 Posts
I Always Felt So Special
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:20 PM
45,381 Views  0 Posts
Xtree1 Saying No to Black Friday
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 07:05 AM
Last post by sprinkleshouse
07-28-2013 02:25 PM
52,890 Views  5 Posts
The Legend of Baboushka
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:56 PM
58,034 Views  0 Posts
Emily's Highest Bough
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:47 PM
43,886 Views  0 Posts

Old 07-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,239 Times in 5,586 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by HollyJolly View Post
Are these commercially available?

SORRY...wrote this before I read the rest of the thread.
That's okay, let me answer anyway.

Some Castle Films can be found on YouTube or on DVDs that feature short films that have fallen into the public domain. The same goes for "Winter Serenade," which was edited down to ten minutes by Castle Films and issued as "Snowtime Serenade."

The Earl Wrightson program is not available on video. As far as we know, we own the only existing kinescope.

"We're No Angels" is available on commercial DVD.

"Star in the Night" is an extra on the "Christmas in Connecticut" DVD, and can be seen on TCM during the month of December---check their schedule.

Hope this helps!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), HollyJolly (07-20-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (09-08-2013), XmasDreams (07-23-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
Not my family's tradition but one of the oddest is from my friend's family. It is a LAAARGE family. They all basically take over a White Castle and eat there for Christmas Eve. They've been doing this for decades.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HollyJolly For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), Neotericisis (11-13-2013), snowflake22 (07-29-2013), XmasDreams (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

sgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elfsgrenoble is a good elf
As a new family we are still working on building our own traditions, but we try to rotate every year between my wife's parents house and my parent's house. Christmas Eve is generally spent relaxing with her family when we are there, and when we are visiting my family we spend it with the entirety of my mom's side of the family. Christmas Eve with my family tends to be a rather large event. We spend the day at one of my aunts house, where we have a large buffet that we eat from all day. We open presents that evening before we head back to my parents house (we stay with them as they live about five hours away from us). When we get home the children are all sent to bed, after leaving milk and cookies for Santa and a few carrots for the reindeer. After the kids have all gone to sleep, the adults then spend the next several hours wrapping presents and trying to figure out how to get presents for 14 people under the tree, which can be quite the feat.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sgrenoble For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (07-29-2013), XmasDreams (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,282 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by HollyJolly View Post
Not my family's tradition but one of the oddest is from my friend's family. It is a LAAARGE family. They all basically take over a White Castle and eat there for Christmas Eve. They've been doing this for decades.

Love it and that sounds like a fun tradition.
Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (07-29-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,896 Times in 650 Posts
ClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnogClaireLovesChristmas will NOT spit in your eggnog
I love the little traditions ive started since having a family of my own! I like to bake cookies and gingerbread men with the girls, pick up any last bits from the shops, drop presents off and most of all track santa!! it wouldnt be xmas eve without doing that!!

xmas eve night the girls always have a new pair of pj's, we watch an xmas film and before bed the girls sprinkle reindeer food out in the garden!

just thinking about it makes me feel all xmassy!! cant wait for the season!!! xx
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Christmas Eve is the BEST!

When I was a wee Sunshine our Christmas Eve traditions involved going to my grandmother's house (we would spend the night) where we would indulge in all kinds of Christmas goodies, watch Christmas specials on television, sing Christmas Carols and, during the ten o'clock news, we would watch the local weather person tracking Santa on radar. That was always my cue to finish my hot cocoa and get to bed!

Now, the hubs and I spend Christmas Eve with his family. We make the hour drive listening to Christmas music and singing along in our off-key way. Then spend the evening with his family at their Christmas Eve open house where there are always plenty of friends, family, laughs and food.

At some point someone will say "hey, isn't it time for Ralphie?" And we will turn on A Christmas Story and let it run in the background as we open gifts by the fireplace.

Late in the night - after much merriment - we will make the drive home, quiet and content. The Christmas music will be a bit more subdued as we ponder the magic that was the first Christmas Eve.
ballcoach (09-29-2013), Festive Spirit (07-30-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (07-29-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
Talking about traditions and memories gets me so excited. That's my favorite part of the holidays.

For Christmas, it's always just those of us in the house so it's me, mom, my twin brothers, and my grandma.

Let's see...on Christmas Eve we all get up early (grandma gets up before everyone). Normally, we've already started cooking on the 23rd (unless mom has to work then we have to arrange the schedule a bit), but we always have a full day of cooking ahead of us. Sometimes, I may still have some presents to wrap, so when I'm not needed in the kitchen I go wrap them.

My family works as a team to cook Christmas dinner. The overall atmosphere in the house is so fun and lighthearted. The house is decorated and the scents of fresh pine, cinnamon, and cooking wafts through the house. We all have fun cracking jokes. We listen to Christmas music during the day as we cook. Some years my brothers and I bake gingerbread cookies and we have fun decorating them.

At some point, I always clean the house and fix the decorations. Besides the big stuff like the Christmas tree, we have smaller decorations like little angels and snow globes, which always get crooked so I have to straighten things up. I also replace the pine cones we have sitting out because they stop smelling after a few days (and of course I water the tree ). I also put the table cloths on the dining room table and the coffee table. For the dining room table we have a red and a green table cloth, so I alternate them each year.

That evening we all sit down in the living room and watch Christmas cartoons while we drink egg nog. By that point, the only thing left to cook is the turkey and mom does that over night. Since we're no longer using the kitchen, I bake some chocolate chip cookies to leave out for Santa. My brothers are teenagers now, however; we still do it as tradition. So before they go to bed, we look up Santa on the Santa tracker and we leave out the cookies and milk on the table near the tree.

Once my brothers go to bed, me, mom and grandma sneak out to the garage and bring the presents in the house. My brothers are still trying to figure out to this day where we keep the presents. LOL! We put all the presents under the tree. Then I eat the cookies (sometimes mom and grandma are too full and tired to want one) and drink the milk. Then I set my alarm and go to bed (knowing full well my excitement is going to keep me awake for a while). I always get up early Christmas morning. I love being the only one up. I normally sit on the couch content as I look around at the decorations and the presents under the tree.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
almcg (09-06-2013), ballcoach (09-29-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), Neotericisis (11-13-2013), snowflake22 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

almcg has shown a merry dispositionalmcg has shown a merry dispositionalmcg has shown a merry dispositionalmcg has shown a merry disposition
Everyone's traditions sound wonderful! We go to my parents for a Christmas Eve party every year. We give out presents to my sisters and their families, sing some Christmas songs and watch Christmas Specials on the TV. At home I make a point of watching Carols from Kings as that truly is the start of Christmas for me. We still track Santa even though our daughter is 13 now. Then ,after my daughter has gone to bed, I watch the midnight Christmas service on TV with just the Christmas tree lights on. Everything seems so much more magical on that special night
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to almcg For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (09-09-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Melissa (09-07-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (09-08-2013), Spyells (09-08-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

Daniel12days has shown a merry disposition
Every Christmas we go to my stepsister's house. We go to have dinner, then after a while we open some presents from everybody. The kids get the toys, the older children get gift cards or money, and even though I was a teenager, I usually got DVDs or Muppet related stuff, since I'm a huge fan. Then I end up going out to the car with my blanket and fall asleep until we get home.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daniel12days For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (09-09-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), snowflake22 (09-08-2013), Spyells (09-08-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

deffenm has shown a merry dispositiondeffenm has shown a merry disposition
We wake up and and meet my in laws for breakfast at my daughters favorite place since it is her birthday. We eat and in laws give daugther her birthday gifts. After breakfast we go home and daugther opens gifts from us. We spend the rest of the afternoon just hanging out at home and then in early evening we go to my in laws for a big family celebration. Once we get home the kids go on a treasure hunt to find their christmas eve gifts (which is always PJ, and a small gift - used to be a new christmas books when they were little). The kids then put reindeer food on the front lawn (even though they no longer believe - its tradition) before putting on their new PJs. We watch a movie, check where Santa is, put out cookies and milk for Santa, and then it is bed time. Once the kids are in bed my husband and I help Santa place gifts under the tree and stuff stockings. I am exhausted by the time I get to bed but I love the time we spend together.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deffenm For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (09-10-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), Neotericisis (11-13-2013), snowflake22 (09-10-2013), Spyells (09-10-2013)