Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Christmas Songs That Brings Back Your Old Memories???!!

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,466
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat Santa Speaks 2012
By MMC Editor
10-09-2012 10:26 AM
Last post by lanoraloveselfs
11-26-2012 02:54 PM
93,314 Views  1 Posts
When It is Not Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:26 PM
44,317 Views  0 Posts
Bells Christmas and Tragedy:...
By MMC Editor
12-15-2012 11:40 AM
Last post by Christmasstar
02-15-2013 08:32 PM
2 Posts
"Cousin Jane's Mistake"......
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 12:01 PM
44,416 Views  0 Posts
Lower Your Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:48 PM
49,971 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by MerryBells View Post
What a great thread! I can remember when I was a little girl, my Dad loved Theater Organ and Organ and Chimes Christmas records. Lynn Larsen, George Wright, Reginald Dixon....you name it. I also remember...

Johnny Bring the Pine Tree In (Johnny Mann Singers)
Wait for the Wagon and We'll Take a Christmas Ride (Have no idea who sang it)
Silent Night (Ray Coniff)
The 12 Gifts of Christmas (Frank Sinatra version of the 12 days of Christmas)
Now Is the Caroling Season (Fred Waring)
Hi Ho the Holly (Fred Waring)
Mistletoe and Holly (Frank Sinatra)

Also, anything from the Bing Crosby "Merry Christmas" album, which my Grandpa had.

Any time I hear these songs, I can almost see myself as a kid, decorating the tree and playing with my Grandpa's train garden. Those were some good times!
a very dear friend of mine for the past almost 40 years was really into theater organ, and could also play some (not professionally.) Lyn Larson was her absolute favorite. She met him several times. She has been living in AZ for many years now (we are both originally from Michigan) and has for years raved about a place called Organ Stop Pizza, where some of the professional theater organ players, like Mr. Larsen come to play. I think he is retired now, but I'm not sure. Other than my friend, you're the only other person I have known who knows about Lyn Larson and theater organ in general.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christmasjingles For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (09-18-2013), reindeerelf (09-18-2013), snowflake22 (09-17-2013), XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,577 Times in 3,714 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Gotta give some love for Christmas With The Chipmunks! I played that album CONSTANTLY when I was a kid... it was the first Christmas record I ever played during the summer months... drove my Mom nuts!
Festive Spirit (09-18-2013), reindeerelf (09-18-2013), XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,111 Times in 1,296 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
Gotta give some love for Christmas With The Chipmunks! I played that album CONSTANTLY when I was a kid... it was the first Christmas record I ever played during the summer months... drove my Mom nuts!
I know how your mum felt ! My son drives me crazy with the chipmunks too!!!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
George Broderick, Jr. (09-19-2013), reindeerelf (09-18-2013), XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,403 Times in 5,613 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by christmasjingles View Post
a very dear friend of mine for the past almost 40 years was really into theater organ, and could also play some (not professionally.) Lyn Larson was her absolute favorite. She met him several times. She has been living in AZ for many years now (we are both originally from Michigan) and has for years raved about a place called Organ Stop Pizza, where some of the professional theater organ players, like Mr. Larsen come to play. I think he is retired now, but I'm not sure. Other than my friend, you're the only other person I have known who knows about Lyn Larson and theater organ in general.
Lyn Larsen! I have some of his albums and CDs. Count me in on enjoying theater organ music. In the 1990s I lived near Frederick, Maryland. The Weinberg Center for the Arts there has a 1926 Wurlitzer that has been there since it was the Tivoli Theater---one of the few theater organs still in its original installation in the East. They used to run silent films, and Floyd Werle usually played the organ there. The organ would come up out of the orchestra pit on the hydraulic lift for an "overture" before the movie, and come up again after the movies to play the audience out of the theater. I have some videotape and audiotape of that organ. I rarely missed a silent film there!

I've picked up several theater organ albums through the years. Do you have the two-LP set of Christmas music played on the Radio City Music Hall organ?

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Not a song in particular, but as a child, my Mom used to play the Bing Crosby "White Christmas" album (yes, an actual vinyl record!), while she decorated the house for Christmas, and I always loved those memories. I think I may still have that album tucked away somewhere. - So, I make sure that Christmas music is played frequently throughout the season in my house, because I want my child's Christmas memories to always include the beauty of music.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (09-18-2013), YellowSnow (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
It's available on CD and MP3 downloads. It may be the album (or at least Christmas album) that has remained continuously in print the longest. (RadioJonD, do you know?)

Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Not a song in particular, but as a child, my Mom used to play the Bing Crosby "White Christmas" album (yes, an actual vinyl record!), while she decorated the house for Christmas, and I always loved those memories. I think I may still have that album tucked away somewhere. - So, I make sure that Christmas music is played frequently throughout the season in my house, because I want my child's Christmas memories to always include the beauty of music.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Courtney (09-18-2013), XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I didn't know, MerryCary. Wikipedia has this article about Bing's "White Christmas Album".

According to that article, yes. "White Christmas" (containing four additional tracks) released in 1955 wins in the Christmas category as longest in print. Otherwise, if I understand correctly, it is second following the original cast recording of "Oklahoma!".

But Elvis trumps Bing in copies sold!

Interesting!

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
It's available on CD and MP3 downloads. It may be the album (or at least Christmas album) that has remained continuously in print the longest. (RadioJonD, do you know?)

Last edited by RadioJonD; 09-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
I have the CD, have had it for years. But, it'll never beat the vinyl album.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (09-18-2013), XmasDreams (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I have the CD, have had it for years. But, it'll never beat the vinyl album.
Does anything digital ever beat vinyl? I'm of the generation that thinks not myself!

I wish I had enough in my collection to do a show on K-Rad called "All Vinyl Hour." Hmmm. And that makes me miss the internet radio station 'Christmas Vinyl' that closed shop last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Does anything digital ever beat vinyl? I'm of the generation that thinks not myself!

I wish I had enough in my collection to do a show on K-Rad called "All Vinyl Hour." Hmmm. And that makes me miss the internet radio station 'Christmas Vinyl' that closed shop last year.
Is Christmas Vinyl (the online radio station) gone gone gone? I was hoping maybe it would resurface at Christmastime.

Vinyl does tend to have a different quality of sound---rounder? warmer? deeper? It's like watching a beautifully timed film print versus an HD video. They may be equally sharp and clear, but aesthetically the analog version "feels" better. Something intangible is missing from the digital copy.