Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Christmas Book & Audiobook suggestions

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,464
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Polar Express (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:00 PM
44,097 Views  0 Posts
"Love Is Best" by Kate...
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 01:08 PM
58,460 Views  0 Posts
Fred Claus (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:47 PM
53,508 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Poems from...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 03:09 PM
43,648 Views  0 Posts
Kids and Santa Online
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:23 PM
48,589 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Christmas Book & Audiobook suggestions

Have you read any good Christmas books lately? I'm always looking for Christmas book and audiobook suggestions. I do a lot of driving, and audiobooks are a much better way to pass the time than listening to commercials on the radio. Has anyone read a good Christmas book? A mini review in this thread might be helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Here's an audiobook I listened to lately.

Jacob T. Marley by R. William Bennett - A novella about Scrooge's partner that imagines his roots and time adding those chains before A Christmas Carol begins. Some elements of the story are too contrived for my taste. Bennett's work does not compare in quality and imagination to Dickens', but it's a nice quick read for a fan of the original. The audiobook version is well-produced and worth a listen.
The Following User Says Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,403 Times in 5,613 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For works in the public domain, visit librivox.org. Click on Advanced Search and search for "Christmas." The dedicated volunteers there create audiobooks of public-domain materials in many languages and offer them for free to the public. Some of their readers are very talented.

My favorite is The Christmas Angel.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
VictoriaLT (10-06-2013), XmasDreams (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,673 Times in 1,298 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Thanks for the info.
MerryCarey (10-03-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I really like the Cadfael (detective Monk/whodunit) series. I've got them all as audiobooks and try to listen to them at the right point in the year in which they're set! (Having ME/CFS I spend a lot of time resting in bed and get through audio books!)

One of the series is 'The Raven in the Foregate' which is set around Christmas - although it's not 'a christmas book' per se.

There are some audio version if it about.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
There are a couple of good Poirot stories, by Agatha Christie, set at Christmas; The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

The Sherlock Holmes short Story 'The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle' is set on Christmas Eve.

The Nero Wolfe short story 'Christmas Party' is in the book 'And Four To Go'.

Can you tell I like detective stories?!?!!??
Old 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,403 Times in 5,613 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by whychristmas View Post
There are a couple of good Poirot stories, by Agatha Christie, set at Christmas; The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and Hercule Poirot's Christmas.

The Sherlock Holmes short Story 'The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle' is set on Christmas Eve.

The Nero Wolfe short story 'Christmas Party' is in the book 'And Four To Go'.

Can you tell I like detective stories?!?!!??
You'd love the anthology "The Twelve Crimes of Christmas," if you can find it. It's a paperback that's now out of print, but well worth chasing. One of my favorite Christmas books.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I'm not sure these are available via audio book but I'm looking forward to the third Christmas Western by J. A. Johnstone!

I read Johnstone's Westerns (and other genres) so the annual Christmas book is a must! 2013's book is entitled "A Big Sky Christmas."

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
As a fan of William W. Johnstone & Christmas, I’m really excited about this one!

A Lone Star Christmas – William W. Johnstone with J.A. Johnstone will be available in November 2011

From the webpage and Newsletter:

We are excited to be releasing our first ever Christmas Western for this coming Holiday Season. The very cool thing about this western title is that the Johnstones are putting several favorite characters together...Smoke Jensen, Matt Jensen, Falcon and Duff Maccallister. Together For The First Time!

Read the First Chapter

Synopsis:

They just wanted to get home for Christmas...but fate had other plans. It's December 1890. A Texas rancher named Big Jim Conyers has a deal with Scottish-born, Wyoming cattleman named Duff MacAllister. Along with Smoke and Matt Jensen, the party bears down on Dodge, Kansas, to make a cattle drive back to Forth Worth. But before they can get out of Dodge, guns go off and a rich man's son is killed.

Soon the drive turns into a deadly pursuit, then a staggering series of clashes with bloodthirsty Indians and trigger-happy rustlers. And the worst is yet to come-the party rides into a devastating blizzard, a storm so fierce that their very survival is at stake.

From America's greatest Western author, here is an epic tale of the unforgiving American frontier and how, amidst fierce storms of man and nature, miracles can still happen.

From Amazon:

It's December 1890. A Texas rancher named Big Jim Conyers has a deal with Scottish-born, Wyoming cattleman named Duff MacAllister. Along with Smoke and Matt Jensen, the party bears down on Dodge, Kansas, to make a cattle drive back to Forth Worth. But before they can get out of Dodge, guns go off and a rich man's son is killed. Soon the drive turns into a deadly pursuit, then a staggering series of clashes with bloodthirsty Indians and trigger-happy rustlers. And the worst is yet to come - the party rides into a devastating blizzard, a storm so fierce that their very survival is at stake. From America's greatest Western author, here is an epic tale of the unforgiving American frontier and how, amidst fierce storms of man and nature, miracles can still happen.

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Like last year's "Lone Star Christmas", it's a Western, it's about Christmas and it's written by J.A. Johnstone. Even before the first word is read, what's not to like?!

From the webpage:

The families Jensen and MacCallister are two of the most legendary clans in frontier fiction. Now, the USA Today bestselling authors of A Lone Star Christmas bring them together once more—in a gripping tale of tragedy, survival, love, betrayal, and maybe even a miracle...
Three days before Christmas, Matt Jensen is traveling the Denver and Pacific railway when an avalanche slams down onto the train, trapping it in desolate Trout Creek Pass. But it wasn’t an act of nature that caused the accident; it was a gang of outlaws attempting to rescue their leader, who is being taken to Red Cliff to be hanged.

As Smoke Jensen and Duff MacCallister frantically try to make their way to the scene, Matt struggles to save the survivors, among them a beautiful young woman with a dark past, a merchant seaman turned rancher, and a senator with his very ill young daughter. Starving under a bitter, driving snow in the brutal, unforgiving Rocky Mountains, and surrounded by armed and desperate outlaws, Matt still dreams of making it home for Christmas. But unless fate lends a hand, nobody will.

And coming soon!...

Last edited by RadioJonD; 10-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
The Christmas Train by David Baldacci (read by Tim Matheson) - Christmas redemption and miracles abound. Don't want to say more in case folks are going to listen to it the first time.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss