Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > MMC Home for the Holidays > Christmas Home » Attention! Testing a New Screen Saver

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Home Come here to introduce yourself, meet the Christmas Crew and get help using our forums. We also share news and information from our sister sites in this area as well as coordinate details of our year events, chats and contests. Our sponsors occasionally post special offers for our users in this area, too. .

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,932
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,862)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02

Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,965 Times in 2,434 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Testing a New Screen Saver

In a thread yesterday there came a request for Christmas screen savers. Most that are out there are very commercialized in one way or another so we discussed doing our own.

I have uploaded a test project and need your feedback. You can download this first screensaver here. (Right click to save as, then click to install on your system).

This screensaver is really simple. Using images I took last Christmas Eve on a snowy ride to the store I shot all of the images used in this screen saver from the car window.

Using my own images for this is an important part of the test. I need to know what resolution works best and whether or not the size of these files negatively impacts the function of the screen saver.

Eventually we will need to purchase some professional images but we have to have these questions answered before we go out and incur that expense.

I've also embedded sound into the screen saver. Is this a good idea? I'm thinking it is not, especially for those who would install this on a workplace system. Your feedback on this is appreciated. It also occurs to me that some might NOT be able to hear the music.

We can use video in these as well, an idea I'm mulling over. That opens us up to all kinds of possibilities.

This is a fun project and, like all things Christmas, we should be the best out there with this. Please provide feedback to help us get there. I envision offering several of these in variations on a number of Christmas themes. This could be a really cool feature that no one else offers.

Thanks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Joyfully yours (10-23-2013), mommyby3 (10-23-2013), snowflake22 (10-23-2013), Undrtakr (10-23-2013), Yuletide Junkie (10-23-2013)

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,483 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
"Snowy Utah Christmas.exe is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous - discard?"!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took my life in my hands and went for it anyway. I love it!!! See what you mean about the music. I'd be quite happy for the music if it's on my home pc but wouldn't be appropriate for work.

If members were agreeable, you could even put together a montage of THEIR pictures - something like a selection of everybody's Christmas trees or a selection from the Christmas Blossoms thread or "have you got an old picture of you on Christmas morning when you were a kid" Pictures could be sent in and we could have a competition to try and guess who is who!

Okay - I've got to go get a shower and get to work now but I'll keep thinking!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
"Snowy Utah Christmas.exe is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous - discard?"!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took my life in my hands and went for it anyway. I love it!!! See what you mean about the music. I'd be quite happy for the music if it's on my home pc but wouldn't be appropriate for work.

If members were agreeable, you could even put together a montage of THEIR pictures - something like a selection of everybody's Christmas trees or a selection from the Christmas Blossoms thread or "have you got an old picture of you on Christmas morning when you were a kid" Pictures could be sent in and we could have a competition to try and guess who is who!

Okay - I've got to go get a shower and get to work now but I'll keep thinking!
The screen saver file is an exe (executable) program file. It is going to drive any anti-virus/security software crazy. Have to think if there is a way to mask that.

Awesome idea about using photos from members!!

It's a good thing we keep you around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Joyfully yours (10-23-2013), snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,483 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Had another idea when I was driving into work - Christmas album covers! There are some pretty good ones out there - personally I prefer the older ones but it's individual taste
Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

mommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry disposition
I LOVE it!!! Not sure if my post was the one that got you thinking or not but it is wonderful.
I happen to like the music, but then it is on my home PC. I also love the idea of using members pics.

Anyway thanks again. It's on my PC right now!!!!!
snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 AM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by mommyby3 View Post
I LOVE it!!! Not sure if my post was the one that got you thinking or not but it is wonderful.
I happen to like the music, but then it is on my home PC. I also love the idea of using members pics.

Anyway thanks again. It's on my PC right now!!!!!
Every great thing that happens at MMC happens because people say things, have ideas or want to do things.
Bradmac (10-23-2013), snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

justme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elfjustme324 is a good elf
Jeff I LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to justme324 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Joyfully yours has shown a merry dispositionJoyfully yours has shown a merry dispositionJoyfully yours has shown a merry dispositionJoyfully yours has shown a merry disposition
Snowflake Wow!!!!

JEFF, it is great, and I truly enjoy the music with it!

Good going good buddy, you are the WebMaster!
It's on my system now also!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
FOR ALL YOUR WORK ON THIS SITE!!!!!

I believe in giving honor when honor is due just as the GOOD BOOK says to do, and if the Lord wrote it, then He meant it!!!!

Have great day......and week everybody!

The Following User Says Thank You to Joyfully yours For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,838 Times in 2,187 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Nope, I couldn't do it Jeff! I was able to download it but Norton's about had a cow when I tried to run it. Norton's deleted it automaticly...But, I'm all for this idea~

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following User Says Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by xmastidings View Post
Nope, I couldn't do it Jeff! I was able to download it but Norton's about had a cow when I tried to run it. Norton's deleted it automaticly...But, I'm all for this idea~
Nothing I can do about that...it is a setting within your Norton you can change. It is mostly there to protect you from opening .exe files sent to you by email. But there isn't a download venue on the Internet that can sent out a program without that extension.
snowflake22 (10-23-2013), xmastidings (10-23-2013)