Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Saint Nicholas arrived in Belgium

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat Santa Speaks 2013
By MMC Editor
10-03-2013 11:07 AM
14,267 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Vacation...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:25 PM
Last post by carmenpaigee
07-16-2011 12:03 AM
67,120 Views  2 Posts
Top Ten Christmas Videos...
By Jeff Westover
12-16-2013 08:10 AM
14,117 Views  0 Posts
The Art of Wassail
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:19 PM
43,952 Views  0 Posts
The Battle Over Jingle...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:59 PM
49,730 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Saint Nicholas arrived in Belgium

On Saturday Saint Nicholas arrived in Antwerp, Belgium on the big steam boat from Spain with his "Black Petes" (his helpers) and his beautiful white horse ! Thousands of children were awaiting his arrival and it was followed by a big parade and then He went to the city hall and spoke to all the children from the balcony of city hall.

Saint Nicholas will visit all the children on December 6 and bring them toys and goodies. Between now and Dec 6 He will be seen in the streets and shopping malls where children can meet him and sit on his lap and have their picture taken. They can give Him their wish list or they can send it in the mail to Spain where He lives.

On the night of December 5 all children will put their shoe by the chimney with a carrot for Saint Nicholas' horse and a beer for Pete. Saint Nicholas will come down the chimney and leaves toys and goodies behind like Speculaas, a kind of spiced cookie simular to gingerbread but with cinnamon and other spices. They are shaped like Saint Nicholas. He will bring mandarines (tangerines) or oranges and marsipan, which is an almond paste shaped into all kinds of fun figurines.

Saint Nicholas carries a big Book in which He has written the names of all children and whether they have been good or bad. But from the balcony Saint Nicholas announced that all children have been good so none of them have to worry this year !

Black Pete is Saint Nicholas' helper and carries the toys and goodies in a big brown bag. Many years ago Pete would put the children who have been bad into his bag and take them with him but thankfully that tradition has been modified as it left many children traumatized Now Black Pete is the best of helpers and nice to all children !

Saint Nicholas wears a beautiful red robe and a mitre. He was a beloved bishop in Turkey somewhere around the year 325 AD. The poor knew him for His generosity, His love for children and ships and sailors. Somehow He moved from Turkey to Spain and has lived there ever since. And every year He comes back on his big boat and visits the children all over Europe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sint.jpg (26.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg st nick.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg black pete.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nick.jpg (23.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg balcony.jpg (21.4 KB, 0 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to kerst For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (09-03-2010)
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Santa Clausologist

officepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elf
That's neat! I love learning about Christmas traditions from around the world. I have only lived in America, so any other countries' celebrations are somewhat foreign to me. Please update if anything new happens.

Diana

Last edited by officepro4u; 11-20-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I most certainly will !
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,257 Times in 12,642 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star reminds me of

stories my mom would tell about when she was small living in Holland.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Thank so much for sharing this information with us. I totally loved the pictures!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ladybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry disposition
My husband is from Holland so I know all about Sinterklass and his Black Pete's. My in-laws are still in Holland and sent our girls their gift and we opened the box last week.

Their treasures included clothes, undies, socks, sweater jackets from a recent trip to Spain my mum-in-law had, and the beloved cookies and chocolate initails for all of us. She also included some teas, spices and other treats for my hubby and me. Gotta love international relatives.

Toya
Old 11-29-2007, 02:48 AM
Christmasologist

Wow, seems like Sinterklaas was very generous for your girls this year ! It is certainly fun to benefit from traditions around the world.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Amy has shown a merry disposition
Wow, this brings back so many memories. My step-father was in the Army and we lived in Belgium for three years.

I can't see the pictures though.