Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » 2015? It's a Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Merry Fourms Member

LoiS-sez has shown a merry disposition
2015? It's a Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/It-Wonderful-Life-Sequel-Works-40339.html
That's the facts so far on the movie aiming for 2015's Christmas season. It straddles the sequel idea by reversing the idea of how the world would be if you'd never been born. Supposedly George Bailey's thoroughly unlikeable grandson is shown how much better the world would be if he'd never been born!

Just discovered the other section on movies here. It's on the sidebar, so I should have seen it before discovering this section. No opportunity to comment there, so I guess this is where we can discuss the idea.

Personally I think Scrooge, right before the ghosts, said my feelings: BAH! HUMBUG! ! !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoiS-sez For This Useful Post:
HolidayLover (11-18-2013), snowflake22 (11-19-2013)

Old 11-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,358 Times in 5,935 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm generally not in favor of remakes and sequels I figure if it's done right and well the first time, why try to reinvent the wheel? And to try to follow up a Frank Capra classic---well, that's pretty audacious. But from a marketing standpoint, remakes and sequels sell themselves and are less risky investments than original productions, so there you have it. They know that most of us will buy a ticket to see it, even if it's not a patch on the original. That's the "business" part of show business coming to the front.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemomssister (11-19-2013), kgstyles (11-18-2013), snowflake22 (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,115 Times in 690 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
I'd like to know who came up with this brilliant idea! NOT! You just don't mess with a good thing, and you don't mess with a beloved classic like this, just to make a few bucks. The movie industry can be such a sickening disappointment, as they have no integrity or appreciation for the classics.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

caninemomssister has shown a merry dispositioncaninemomssister has shown a merry disposition
I agree. The acting in this movie is supberb.

I have a favorite scene. George Bailey's mom has just refused to take him into the Bailey Rooming house. The camera is on George (close up). You can actually see the fear rise in his face. I think it is brilliant acting and I do not know how Jimmy Stewart's talents can be duplicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemomssister For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (11-19-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
I've been disappointed with Hollywood efforts for years. Apparently, they can't trust writers who create original content anymore. All they seem to be able to do is take an existing story with a following and then change it for some reason known only to the producer. Has this worked at all? I just don't get it.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I heard a news item on the radio this morning---Paramount (which currently owns the rights to the original "It's a Wonderful Life") has stated that it will fight against the sequel. I assume that the sequel would infringe on the copyrights (to the film and the underlying literary work) that Paramount holds. If the production company comes to a legal agreement with Paramount, the sequel could still move forward. But Mr. thinks that the announcement of the sequel was partly a move to raise funds to move the production of the sequel forward. As I understand it, they currently have a script and are casting major roles.

Here's a USA Today article with the details.

The film was considered in the public domain for a time, but Paramount recovered the rights to the film and the short story on which it was based. (How they reclaimed the rights is a legal labyrinth that some still dispute.)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

Daniel12days has shown a merry disposition
Oh really? Looks like I won't be seeing something until it comes out on DVD.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Neotericisis has shown a merry disposition
I don't like this AT ALL! Its a Wonderful Life is one of those few movies that have made it into the Christmas CLASSIC realm- like high enough to have the honor of being played ON Christmas day Classic- they should leave it alone!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Neotericisis View Post
I don't like this AT ALL! Its a Wonderful Life is one of those few movies that have made it into the Christmas CLASSIC realm- like high enough to have the honor of being played ON Christmas day Classic- they should leave it alone!
You will probably get your wish. Paramount wants to block this sequel, and Paramount has more financial and legal clout than the production company that wants to make the sequel. Anybody who wants to produce a sequel will need Paramount's blessing, or at least their cooperation.