Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Shopping Real Christmas Real Christmas brings you this merry topic area. From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, shopping for Christmas is as fun and challenging as ever. This forum discusses the art of Christmas Shopping. Please note our Forum Rules in regards to links posted in this forum.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,851
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Lack of Shoppers

Maybe its just me but aside from a crazy early morning black Friday i'm amazed by the lack of people shopping in stores this year. Maybe its an uptick in online buying but there is definitely fewer people out this year than i ever remember before . Is anyone else seeing the same ? I guess we wont know for sure until after Christmas but it looks like a very down year!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
Minta (01-25-2014), snowflake22 (01-15-2014)

Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,932 Times in 2,418 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I absolutely concur. For the record, other than some online buying I haven't done a lick of shopping yet for Christmas. Not one thing. I was out a bit on Saturday and I was shocked to see how empty places were. A big old sign in front of Shopko here advertising they were open 6am to midnight -- and NOBODY was parked in front of the store at 8pm on a Saturday night.

We plan our Christmas shopping for this weekend -- a prospect I have dreaded. Now I wonder if it will be so bad.

My son works for Walmart and he says they are pretty glum about things at the one he works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Minta (01-25-2014), RachRon (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
We will be out this weekend finishing up to . This is it the last weekend to shop before Christmas so in theory it should be crazy but we shall see !
The Following User Says Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
Minta (01-25-2014)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,583 Times in 1,116 Posts
Virginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the treeVirginia you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by RachRon View Post
Maybe its just me but aside from a crazy early morning black Friday i'm amazed by the lack of people shopping in stores this year. Maybe its an uptick in online buying but there is definitely fewer people out this year than i ever remember before . Is anyone else seeing the same ? I guess we wont know for sure until after Christmas but it looks like a very down year!
It is still pretty hectic in my little corner of Australia. I work one street back from our main shopping centres and for the past few weeks we are racing to get parking in our own parking lot by 8am.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Last Achievements

Just saw that JC Penney is closing 30 stores can't say I'm surprised between the slow sales and definite lack of customers for them this past Christmas .
Minta (01-25-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Last Achievements

Macy's closed a bunch too. Keep an eye on Lowes, Home Depot, Barnes and Noble and also (gulp) Walmart.

Signs of our times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Minta (01-25-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Achievements

Not sure how true it is but I recently read an article that said the whole Black Friday craze has become part of the problem. Everyone wants that huge discount on every purchase and no one is willing to pay full price for anything . I know I love a huge discount as much a the next guy but I wonder if there is any truth to it???
Minta (01-25-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Last Achievements

I don't think so. The problem with so many traditional retailers like Penny's is that they operate on old formulas and models -- sales per square foot, for example. That doesn't work any more when so many of their competitors are online and not using metrics of traditional models. For many of these guys, their stores are too big and their competition is more broad than ever.

And they aren't keeping up online and it is killing them.

The overall economy is responsible for the discount shopper more than anything like Black Friday. 92 million unemployed Americans is a standard nobody has had to operate under before and it is no wonder there is a fight for discounts as a result.

Give some of those people jobs and that changes things dramatically. But if it continues to get worse -- which I think it will -- you'll see more traditional retailers go belly up because the traditional patterns of buying have changed, so too must the traditional patterns of selling. At least that part of it is natural -- free market dynamics at work.

What is unnatural isn't actually produced by the retailers themselves -- it is government changing all the rules. And that is uncharted territory that will exact a high, high toll.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
made582 (01-15-2014), Minta (01-25-2014), RachRon (01-15-2014), snowflake22 (01-25-2014), Virginia (01-18-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
I will pick up gifts here and there through out the year but start the bulk of my shopping in Sept. We usually have most of the shopping done by Dec as we like to spend Dec doing Christmas related events with the kids instead of shopping. More and more of my family and friends with little kids doing the same. I am also seeing an increase in homemade gifts. We always do home made gifts (baked goods, canned jams, ornaments made by the kids, etc) .. We love to give and receive homemade gifts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-25-2014)