Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,839
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,282 Times in 5,922 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I am ashamed to say I have not seen the General. I need to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
It's in the public domain, so there are a lot of videos out there from lousy prints. If possible, try to see Kino Video's version, with the score by Carl Davis. Seeing a good print with a good score makes a difference.

One of the great rare experiences of my life was watching it in a vintage-1926 movie theater, accompanied by a theater organ---while sitting next to Eleanor Keaton, Buster's widow. I had arranged for her to be a guest for the showing, so I was her driver that weekend. Unforgettable!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (12-03-2013), XmasDreams (10-07-2013), Yuletide Junkie (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,010 Times in 360 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
It's in the public domain, so there are a lot of videos out there from lousy prints. If possible, try to see Kino Video's version, with the score by Carl Davis. Seeing a good print with a good score makes a difference.

One of the great rare experiences of my life was watching it in a vintage-1926 movie theater, accompanied by a theater organ---while sitting next to Eleanor Keaton, Buster's widow. I had arranged for her to be a guest for the showing, so I was her driver that weekend. Unforgettable!
WOW! Someone has a wonderful life...Impressive life scrapbook event.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
WOW! Someone has a wonderful life...Impressive life scrapbook event.
It really was a WOW event! I even learned from Mrs. Keaton that after she married Buster, he taught her how to make his trademark flat hats (and gave her the job of making them for him from then on). And she told me exactly how it's done! I was driving her to the theater at the time, so I made furious mental notes and wrote it all down later.

I've been blessed to spend time with some fascinating people. The top three are/were Gloria Jean, Lois Laurel (Stan Laurel's daughter), and Eleanor Keaton.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (12-03-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

It Happened on 5th Avenue

We watched "It Happened on 5th Avenue" last night … we hadn't pulled it out in a couple years, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that Mr. went to the computer afterward and did a little online research. He found a fascinating bit of trivia: Frank Capra had optioned the story to make a movie of it. It was to be the first film produced by his new company, Liberty Films. But we all know that "It's a Wonderful Life" was actually the first film produced by Liberty. From the timeline, it appears that Capra discovered the short story that became "It's a Wonderful Life" and decided to make that instead, relinquishing the rights to the "5th Avenue" story.

It's interesting to speculate how the film might have been cast had Capra made it: Barbara Stanwyck as Trudy? Henry Travers as McKeever? Jimmy Stewart as Jimmy? It's a story that Capra would have enjoyed digging into.

Ryan (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,360 Times in 2,949 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We watched "It Happened on 5th Avenue" last night … we hadn't pulled it out in a couple years, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that Mr. went to the computer afterward and did a little online research. He found a fascinating bit of trivia: Frank Capra had optioned the story to make a movie of it. It was to be the first film produced by his new company, Liberty Films. But we all know that "It's a Wonderful Life" was actually the first film produced by Liberty. From the timeline, it appears that Capra discovered the short story that became "It's a Wonderful Life" and decided to make that instead, relinquishing the rights to the "5th Avenue" story.

It's interesting to speculate how the film might have been cast had Capra made it: Barbara Stanwyck as Trudy? Henry Travers as McKeever? Jimmy Stewart as Jimmy? It's a story that Capra would have enjoyed digging into.
I need to watch that movie. There are so many I'm putting on my 2014 list of movies to see. Maybe there is room for one more...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (12-28-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

I got an awesome Christmas gift this year: a set of Buster Keaton's silent films on Blu-ray. Never saw them look so good! And two of the features have Carl Davis scores, and there are loads of extras. Mr. found the set on sale and surprised me with it. We were sampling some of them this evening.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (01-06-2014), XmasDreams (12-28-2013), Yuletide Junkie (01-09-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,109 Times in 1,444 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
I got an awesome Christmas gift this year: a set of Buster Keaton's silent films on Blu-ray. Never saw them look so good! And two of the features have Carl Davis scores, and there are loads of extras. Mr. found the set on sale and surprised me with it. We were sampling some of them this evening.
Sounds like a great collection

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
Ryan (01-06-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Sounds like a great collection

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Yes, it is … all the silent shorts and all the silent features, with extras, all remastered for Blu-ray. I recommend this set!

Ryan (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds like a great present, MerryCarey!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Have any of you seen any Harry Langdon films? I've been reading about him and am thinking I need to check some of his movies out.