Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2007
By MMC Editor
06-11-2007 11:13 PM
54,639 Views  0 Posts
Korat Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:32 PM
47,420 Views  0 Posts
The Reality of Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:26 PM
47,849 Views  0 Posts
My Santa Claus
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:41 PM
52,168 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree The First Christmas in...
By Jeff Westover
10-07-2012 10:49 PM
30,669 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Jane D

I am coming to this debate rather belatedly, I'm afraid. I used to be a regular contributor but have not been about much this year. When I finally read this thread, however, I was moved to hit the keyboard again. Unlike Billy, I am not an agnostic, I am an atheist and since we are not represented in this debate at all (to paraphrase Jeff, hardly surprising on a Christmas website!) I thought I would add my thoughts. I, like my dear friend Jayish, am a peacemaker and this means that sometimes I avoid confrontation and do not stick my head above the parapet when I should but, since this smacks of me not having the courage of my (strong) convictions, it is time I joined in. I have already outlined elsewhere on this forum how come I can not believe in God whilst still strongly ‘believing’ in Christmas and it links very closely with the way I see life in general as an atheist.

Okay then - I was the child of Christian parents and when it all started to feel very wrong to me in early adulthood I started asking questions and, like many here, doing my research. In just the same way as Christians come to their position of belief (hopefully after thought and study rather than taking it on trust from parents or other authority figures) I came to my own non-belief. My brother-in-law (a Jehovah's Witness) once told me he believes because "nothing else makes any sense", this is precisely the way I feel about not believing. For me, this world of ours is about nature, science and rationality. It is not in any way cold (which is the word people so often link with 'the rational'), it is a beautiful, beautiful place and I rejoice daily at the wonder I see all around me, at the good I find in people, at my own happiness and the love I am able to give and receive. These things I have faith in, these things I hold as dear as my own life. I neither need nor desire anything 'supernatural' (not intended as a pejorative term, I use it in the strict dictionary definition: "of or relating to things that cannot be explained according to natural laws"). I live a moral life which is not forced upon me by the dictates of any religion, but is born - as I believe morality truly is - of my own conscience, common sense and a desire to be a good person. I do not accept that we need religion to make us moral. This suggests we are doing the right thing only because our faith tells us to, whereas I feel that - with obvious notable exceptions, some of whom lay claim to being Christians or members of other faiths - people are basically sound.

And just to clear up one other point, I have faced death in my life (the threat of my own and the actuality of that of a close loved one) and most certainly did not call upon God to help or save me or them. Death, as they say, comes as the end.

To conclude (before you all fall asleep) - Story earlier suggested that Billy consult Joe Stroebel by way of furthering his research. In the interests of an even debate, may I therefore respectfully suggest people read The God Delusion by Professor Richard Dawkins?

Last edited by Jane D; 11-25-2007 at 02:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
redkaga (01-22-2013)
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM
mammaduke

star

I know I'm kind of late getting into this conversation but I feel that I have to get into this topic. 5 years ago I got sick & died 2 times in a time period of 24 hours. When I awoke after 2 days, the doctor told my family he had no idea how I'm still alive. I told them I prayed to God to let me live , now when my doctor & chaplain tell my story they say that I am a miracle of God's healing power. My life is now giving praises & thanks to the Lord for all he has given me since that diagnois.

Everyone has there own feeling about this subject, but I know what happened in my life to make me really realize there is a savior. He is christ our lord, born in the town of Bethleham, in a manger, to the virgin Mary, whether or not if it was Dec. 24th or not isn't important.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Santa Clausologist

officepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elf
Mammaduke, Debbie, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Diana
Old 11-25-2007, 02:52 PM
mammaduke

santahat

Thanks Diane.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by mammaduke View Post
I know I'm kind of late getting into this conversation but I feel that I have to get into this topic. 5 years ago I got sick & died 2 times in a time period of 24 hours. When I awoke after 2 days, the doctor told my family he had no idea how I'm still alive. I told them I prayed to God to let me live , now when my doctor & chaplain tell my story they say that I am a miracle of God's healing power. My life is now giving praises & thanks to the Lord for all he has given me since that diagnois.

Everyone has there own feeling about this subject, but I know what happened in my life to make me really realize there is a savior. He is christ our lord, born in the town of Bethleham, in a manger, to the virgin Mary, whether or not if it was Dec. 24th or not isn't important.
Kuddos to you my friend. I to am a believer. It's what works for me and always has. Thanks for sharing such a personal journey you have been through. It makes me keep the faith and have hope even more!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:59 PM
mammaduke

Annett 1990 : Thank you so much for those kind words. May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you always, & always keep the faith.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:20 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,111 Times in 545 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
I believe

©♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
Old 11-25-2007, 09:29 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Jane -- you are the sum of your experiences and you choose to intelligently view life and take responsible for your own actions. I applaud your attitude if only because I find so few atheists with so open a mind and, frankly, so positive.

Just a mammaduke is the sum of her difficult circumstances I believe your own experiences will one day allow you to see things that others, for whatever reason, cannot.

Thank you for your inspiring aside to this conversation -- it adds a great deal!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Jane D View Post
I am coming to this debate rather belatedly, I'm afraid. I used to be a regular contributor but have not been about much this year. When I finally read this thread, however, I was moved to hit the keyboard again. Unlike Billy, I am not an agnostic, I am an atheist and since we are not represented in this debate at all (to paraphrase Jeff, hardly surprising on a Christmas website!) I thought I would add my thoughts. I, like my dear friend Jayish, am a peacemaker and this means that sometimes I avoid confrontation and do not stick my head above the parapet when I should but, since this smacks of me not having the courage of my (strong) convictions, it is time I joined in. I have already outlined elsewhere on this forum how come I can not believe in God whilst still strongly ‘believing’ in Christmas and it links very closely with the way I see life in general as an atheist.

Okay then - I was the child of Christian parents and when it all started to feel very wrong to me in early adulthood I started asking questions and, like many here, doing my research. In just the same way as Christians come to their position of belief (hopefully after thought and study rather than taking it on trust from parents or other authority figures) I came to my own non-belief. My brother-in-law (a Jehovah's Witness) once told me he believes because "nothing else makes any sense", this is precisely the way I feel about not believing. For me, this world of ours is about nature, science and rationality. It is not in any way cold (which is the word people so often link with 'the rational'), it is a beautiful, beautiful place and I rejoice daily at the wonder I see all around me, at the good I find in people, at my own happiness and the love I am able to give and receive. These things I have faith in, these things I hold as dear as my own life. I neither need nor desire anything 'supernatural' (not intended as a pejorative term, I use it in the strict dictionary definition: "of or relating to things that cannot be explained according to natural laws"). I live a moral life which is not forced upon me by the dictates of any religion, but is born - as I believe morality truly is - of my own conscience, common sense and a desire to be a good person. I do not accept that we need religion to make us moral. This suggests we are doing the right thing only because our faith tells us to, whereas I feel that - with obvious notable exceptions, some of whom lay claim to being Christians or members of other faiths - people are basically sound.

And just to clear up one other point, I have faced death in my life (the threat of my own and the actuality of that of a close loved one) and most certainly did not call upon God to help or save me or them. Death, as they say, comes as the end.

To conclude (before you all fall asleep) - Story earlier suggested that Billy consult Joe Stroebel by way of furthering his research. In the interests of an even debate, may I therefore respectfully suggest people read The God Delusion by Professor Richard Dawkins?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Wow -- now we've crossed a theshold in this conversation. Obviously (to me), we have here a witness beyond the mere claim of faith. Your experiences - tragic in the eyes of some, a miracle and a blessing in the eyes of others -- have given you sure knowledge.

There will be those who in stubborn defense of their beliefs will scoff at your near-death experience (or those of others) as merely a mind game.

You know differently and I know you know differently.

And that, in essence, is what this conversation is about and why all points of view need to be entertained, explored, examined and ultimately accepted.

Jeff

Originally Posted by mammaduke View Post

Old 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

MissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elf
wow this got off topic fast,
I decided I might check back on this thread and I think I created a touchy subject though, how we got from A Morning show wondering whether we should downplay the religious side of christmas too Jesus's birth taking up nine pages of argument, anyway, I think it was nine pages wasted (no offence meant, alot of you made great points don't take that the wrong way)
Because we've all got to remember, it might be the most commercialized holiday around, Christmas and Religion is still a personal desicion whether you do or don't believe, do or don't celebrate.
i myself am not religious but I don't think taking the religion out of Christmas is right, it really is the whole point of it. I do believe in Jesus Christ and God but I don't really do much about it, I however set a day aside each year for celebration just like everyone else here. it's my choice to do so and will remain so, the way I think Celebrate and live are all my choices as are your own.