Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Need volunteering ideas..

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Christmas During the...
By Meceka
08-12-2011 05:57 PM
Last post by thumbie123
03-03-2013 09:21 AM
4 Posts
The Bishop's Wife (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:05 PM
0 Posts
Time-Saving Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:57 PM
74,308 Views  0 Posts
The Best of Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:51 PM
Last post by Minta
04-01-2014 10:33 AM
47,718 Views  3 Posts
Elf (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:23 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
11-18-2013 07:29 AM
61,243 Views  3 Posts

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

yuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry disposition
Need volunteering ideas..

for my 3 boys ages 7, 9, & 11. Sometimes they get caught up in the gimmes. You know, I want this and this. So, this year - we are going to somehow involve them in something that would help to combat that. I had tried with the salvation army with no luck last year. Now, I want to try something that all can do. We are open to any/all ideas that you smart Christmas people/elves have.
Yule
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuletide For This Useful Post:
cipalla (07-09-2008), SparkleNana (07-19-2008)
Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
My daughter went through this gimme gimme stage as well. And I would work my butt off to get her what I thought she really really wanted. Needless to say after playing with a certain toy etc.. she lost interest quickly. So now I chose her gimme, wants, gifts more wisely. I also have her help me go through all her toys and take them to the local thrift store. I would suggest having them help out at a local shelter of some sort where there are women and children who have nothing. Or even a local children's hospital to give to other children throughout the year or Holiday season. I think if they witness with their own eyes the less fortunate maybe this will help. I am not sure where you live but here are some websites for kids volunteering.
Kids for Community - http://www.kidsforcommunity.org/
Family Volunteering - http://www.1-800-volunteer.org/learn/family.jsp
Volunteer Match – http://www.volunteermatch.org
SERVEnet - http://www.servenet.org/
Service Leader - http://www.serviceleader.org/new/virtual/index.php
Do It - http://www.do-it.org.uk/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=445
Worldwide Volunteering - http://www.worldwidevolunteering.org.uk/
Online Volunteering - http://www.onlinevolunteering.org/

Also here is a great article you may like to read....
http://kidshealth.org/parent/positiv...rialistic.html
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Local nursing homes are a great place to start. I volunteered for years at a local nursing home when I was younger. The nursing home would set me up with one or two residents who didn't have relatives or anyone nearby and sometimes I would read to them, sometimes we would play games and a lot of times we would just visit with one another or maybe go for a short walk in the garden.

I don't know if they're into animals at all but the humane society is often looking for volunteers as well. Kids are often encouraged to help with the animals (cleaning, feeding, walking and yes, even playing with them).

Churches are another great resource. The church where I work has a food pantry and we have a couple of kids who come in and help out during the summer (and one homeschooler who helps out year round).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine73 For This Useful Post:
cipalla (07-09-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM

yuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry dispositionyuletide has shown a merry disposition
santahat Wow - you guys...

are on the ball! I will definately do that which was suggested. I am so busy - but this is important and I will follow through.

God Bless,
Yule
Old 07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

qltmrkt has shown a merry disposition
How about making Christmas cookies and taking them to the local nursing home? That's really something you can do any time of year. Sometimes people forget that non-profit groups get slammed with stuff between Thanksgiving and Christmas but after the holidays (or long before) they are forgotten. Maybe something good to do while they are on summer break. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to qltmrkt For This Useful Post:
yuletide (07-11-2008)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM

holly Perfect!!!

That would kill 2 birds with one stone - not only would they be helping others - they would be keeping busy too!

Thanks so much -
We will be doing that this week for sure!
Yule
Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
How about making cookies for neighbors? It's a good thing - to build happy relationships in your own neighborhood. Of course - I have had cookies delivered by beloved neighborhood children which were very ugly to look at and also were horrible to taste! I do think a LOT of parental involvement is necessary to make the cookies REALLY a treat!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Sweet_Pea1992 has shown a merry disposition
Yule.....There are many great ideas here, and all worthwhile!! I volunteer at the nursing home here in town, and it's the best medicine. I have started making little crafts, for the residents there for Christmas. I am making little things to tuck into a coffee mug. I do something that will fit men and women both. I think all children go through the gimmee stage. Hopefully, you will get them involved in something that will open their eyes, as to how well they really have things.

Another option is seeing if there is a 'Soup Kitchen' in your area. There's a real eye opener!!

Good Luck and God Bless!!