Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,657)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Time-Saving Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:57 PM
74,311 Views  0 Posts
Christmas During the...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:32 PM
Last post by Isabella Euwins
08-03-2011 09:03 AM
62,931 Views  1 Posts
Gift 2 The Bog Ruby...
By Meceka
08-20-2011 10:33 AM
Last post by ibelieveinchristmas
10-11-2011 10:05 AM
1 Posts
Christmas Tree Great Quotes of Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 11:05 PM
0 Posts
"A Christmas White...
By MerryCarey
11-11-2011 07:26 AM
57,902 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,018 Times in 444 Posts
Bullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnog
I love real trees...in other peoples home though. Artificial (as opposed to fake) for me.

Oh my, she exclaims, her breath smoking the windowpane, it's fruitcake weather!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,609 Times in 4,412 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by ChristmasRose View Post
For us, it's always a freshly cut fir tree. Our family has visited the same local tree farm for over 25 years. Free hot chocolate, hot cider and cookies, a live Nativity, homemade goodies and chit-chat by the woodstove -- it's all there. We decide on a tree and my husband cuts it down -- oh, the marvelous fragrance it brings...! (Later it's recycled and used for mulching).
Sounds like the place we buy ours from in the Smoky Mountians!

Real for us, too. Preferably one you cut yourself.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,020 Times in 13,916 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We have 2 fake trees, but I prefer real, especially Blue Spruce.
We keep our trees up so long, that way we don't have to worry about drying out and needles everywhere.
Its was a compromise when my wife was pregnant with our first, she couldn't stand losing any more ornaments by the tree falling over, lost a few heirloom ornaments made by my grandmother for our wedding that way.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

EliteElf has shown a merry disposition
Real. We get a Fraser Fir tree fresh from the tree farms up in the NC mountains every year. I can't imagine having anything else.

I understand the convenience and savings of an artificial tree, but Christmas only comes once per year and I'm willing to splurge a little more for a real one.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Forgive my lots of responding, but I just came across these forums this last weekend and have been wanting to post so bad! The admin approved my account just today!

But I hear what all you guys/gals are saying. It's hard because you want the scent, but also don't want to clean up the needles. The sap on the tree can also be BLAH!

But my parents bought a pretty nice expensive fake tree a few years ago and it's pretty nice. I like that I can bend the branches and fluff it up! We also buy room spray, candles or things that are Christmas tree scented. Boy were we in for a surprise when we bought this oil plugin from a store at the mall. It was christmas tree scented, we had to UNplug it because it was so over powering hahah! It had the smell of 10 christmas trees! Hehe!

But I also hear your point about a real tree. I love going to the lot, spending two hours trying to find "the right tree" for yourself/family. I love the carnival lights and the whole process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Wenceslaus (04-14-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry disposition
I do fake now. When I was a kid for years we went and got a real one.

I can't take anything away from the smell and tradition of a real tree--BUT--I have a dog that is the K9 equivilant of Dennis The Menace...and also I have more then 1 tree and they both come out pretty early.

It seemed it was just a bit easier have an artificial tree.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

G.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Never had a real tree in my forty years of Christmas, but we always light the incense that smells like pine. The one that you set in the little log cabin. I actually dig that incense so much I light it throughout the year. As far as our fake tree goes, I think my wife is dying for a white Christmas tree. Not sure how I feel about that yet, but I've often heard "happy wife, happy life"...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Jeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnog
I am torn!!! When I was very little, we'd go out and pick a tree and cut it. Then my dad started buying a living tree. Then we had to go to artificial because my brother was highly allergic to live trees. We were able to put them up at Thanksgiving, they didn't dry out, no mess. My husband has always had live trees and for the past 16 years, we've had live. I love taking the kids, dogs and now elves to pick out a tree. I love the smell of a Frasier Fir!! But I hate the mess and I always worry about a fire.