Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Is it right to take religious connection out of Christmas?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,131
Threads: 54,246
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, PrincipalPankley

Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

lpstong is a new face around here!
Is it right to take religious connection out of Christmas?

I know during the 2005 Christmas Season that many businesses had stopped saying Merry Christmas or totally took the whole idea out of their biggest sale of the year. Where they say Happy Holidays.

Or many malls that stopped having Santa Clause.

Or that many businesses had sent memo's out encouraging their co-workers to say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas.

And for several years school districts call it winter break instead of Christmas break.

Or on at the White House the Christmas tree was called the Holiday Tree.

I just find this incrediable. They celebrate a christian holiday, yet take all the religious connotation out of it. Better yet the great profit they make off of a religious holiday. Or the time off that school districts get because of a religious holiday. What a oxymoron to say the least.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Note: My comment here was in response to a post which has since been removed. Please don't think I have lost my mind. Again. If LP was talking about simply including "Happy Holidays" along with "Merry Christmas," etc., you'd be right, but he is talking about a concerted effort to remove Merry Christmas because of the reference to Jesus Christ. If we are really a tolerant nation, why not tolerate Christian greetings rather than legislate against them in favor of nice, but non-religious, ones?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,101 Times in 2,454 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I personally think the whole "Happy Holidays" thing was a bunch of media hogwash. Oh, sure. I work retail and my company talked about it too. You know what happened? The folks working for us got a little peeved and said Merry Christmas! more than they would have.

My experience out and about with it was that if you heard "Happy Holidays" that got people mad so they didn't say it.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 07:51 AM

dowload is a new face around here!
I always thought they said happy holidays because of not just Christmas but there's Hanukah and New Years so I just thought they said happy holidays cause it's easier than saying Merry Christmas Happy Hanukah and Happy New Year.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:44 AM

Andrex has shown a merry dispositionAndrex has shown a merry dispositionAndrex has shown a merry dispositionAndrex has shown a merry disposition
Just like the profiteerers whose tables were overturned by Jesus, they'll get theirs.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
On the Naughty List

Well, dowload, you're right for the most part. There's a very popular Christmas song called Happy Holidays from waaaaay back when people did say it to capture the whole season, so there certainly is nothing wrong with saying it for that purpose. When you decide it is the only right way to express holiday greetings and any saying that reflects religious heritage is unacceptable, that's when it becomes ridiculous. Saying Jesus Christ is perfectly acceptable, but screaming it when you hit your thumb with a hammer is not. It just depends on what you mean. 8)
Old 08-12-2006, 05:19 PM

Last Achievements

It just depends on what you mean.
Ah, that's the rub.

I commissioned a reaserch firm to conduct a survey for a project we're working on and it asked this simple question:

Is Christmas sacred or secular?

The results were most interesting. While we say "Merry Christmas" and may mean it one way the chances of it being perceived another way are extremely high.

As a society, we define Christmas so differently that we're bound to have the kinds of conflicts we see publicized each holiday season.

It kind of reminds me of the scene in "My Cousin Vinny" when the defendant kept exclaiming "I shot the clerk?"

What we say and what they think we're saying are often two different things. Too bad that has to happen with Christmas.

Jeff
Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 PM
On the Naughty List

When I say Merry Christmas to someone I don't even take into account their belief system (Someone's gonna copy that and burn me for it!) because I'm just wishing them a happy holiday season. If I know the beliefs of someone and I know they wouldn't appreciate it, I adjust accordingly. My neighbors are Hindu. I'd use a more generic expression with them, but they are so kind and understanding, they wouldn't be offended anyway. I guess what I am saying is that I don't mind at all people using a non-religious expression of well-wishing. I just wish they wouldn't demand that I do the same. And now, like Clinton after the "Don't ask, don't tell" fiasco, I'm all out of ideas. 8)
Old 08-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Last Achievements

I find a real brotherhood with those not of my faith. Don't know why that is, and that is not to say I don't have friends who are of my faith. But ultimately I'm interested in religion and I want to understand why folks believe the way they do. I learn alot from them and about myself in the process. So I try very hard NOT to be offended when someone says something contrary to my own way of thinking. I don't know a lot of people like that but when I find them, I cherish them. And one of the reasons I do is because I can say "Merry Christmas" to them and they understand where I am coming from and why.

Jeff
Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Santa Clausologist

mrshfromjersey has shown a merry dispositionmrshfromjersey has shown a merry disposition
Merry Christmas

I say Merry Christmas to people. If I know that the person is Jewish, I say Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah. I wish all people would just get along. It's the differences that make us all special. Saying Happy Holidays just takes what makes us all special and turns everyone into generic cookie cutter people. Isn't that what communism was all about - everyone the same?