Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Help! Holiday party for work

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

irishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elf
Help! Holiday party for work

Help! I am part of the committee that is organizing the holiday party at work this year. We took a vote and 2 to 1 they want to have an offsite party. That being said we are very tight with funds (who isn't) and we have pretty strict rules to follow. No alcohol(sp?), has to be pretty close to work and it has to be a Sunday night from say 7p-11p. We are trying to come up with cost effective ways to throw this party! Any ideas?

I want to get as much of this done now so it doesn't impede on my Christmas (that is the other thing.. it has to be non denominational.. no christmas uggg)

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate any advice or ideas you might have!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,467 Times in 1,753 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
This totally won't be any help whatsoever except to remind you to keep your perspective!!!

xxxx

TO: All Employees
DATE: October 01, 2005
RE: Christmas Party
I'm happy to inform you that the office Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks! We'll have a small band playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if the Chief shows up dressed as Santa Claus!
A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00pm. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over £5 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only for Chester House! The Chief will make a special announcement at that time!
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Patty
DATE: October 02, 2005
RE: Holiday Party
In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognise that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas. However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians or those still celebrating Reconciliation Day. There will be no Christmas tree present. No Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment.
Happy now?
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Patty
DATE: October 03, 2005
Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table. You didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only"; you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?
Forget about the gifts exchange, no gifts exchange are allowed since the union members feel that £5 is too much money and executives believe £5 is a little chintzy. NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.
Patty
To: All Employees
DATE: October 04, 2005
What a diverse group we are! I had no idea about the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party - or else package everything for you to take it home in little foil doggy baggy. Will that work?
Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with Gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangement for the Gay men's table. To the person asking permission to cross dress, yes, this is allowed.
We will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest for those people with high blood pressure to taste first. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar" desserts. Sorry!
Did I miss anything?!?!?
Patty
TO: All ******* Employees
DATE: October 05, 2005
RE: The ******* Holiday Party
Vegetarian ******- I've had it with you people!!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, and you'll get your ******* salad bar, including organic tomatoes.
But you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right NOW! I hope you all have a rotten holiday! ***** ***** *** *** !!!!!!!!,
The B**** from H***!!!!!!!!
DATE: October 06, 2005
RE: Patty Lewis and Holiday Party
I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery and I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.
Happy Holidays!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

irishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elf
that is awesome!

Maureen,

Actually that did help as it made me laugh!! I think I will print that our and tape it into the front of my Holiday Party folder to assist in "keeping perspective"!

Thanks again!!

PS.. how did you know that is what it is like where I work???? Are you spying?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,467 Times in 1,753 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Isn't it brilliant?!!!!

I don't need to spy on your office - it's an office, like my office, with people and people with opinions and ideas and suggestions. I hate opinions, ideas and suggestions especially when I'm trying to organise a party nobody else will touch. If you can do it better, you do it - if not, leave me alone to get on with the job you gave me to do!!!!!!!!!

Here endeth my rant!!!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
That's very funny Maureen !

This is not an easy one Irishgirl ! Am trying to come up with solutions and suggestions but other than making some nice "virgin" coctails for the non-alcoholic problem I can't come up with much. You can find plenty of coctails on "google"
irishgirl (08-09-2008)
Old 08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Oh that was hilarious Maureen!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,815 Times in 3,857 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
I'm guessing that "keeping it non-denominational" would exclude getting the use of a church hall... maybe a VFW or American Legion hall..? Poll your fellow employees to see if any have a connection to these types of organizations and can get you the hall cheaply (or free)...

Not knowing where your office is, I can't advise on a venue that's close enough, but, being in the Philadelphia area gives you access to several "country" and/or Amish locations and these tend to be nice for alcohol free gatherings and they're usually decorated "to the nines"...

Catering is a nightmare... barring a "pot luck" dinner scenario, you're on your own...

Just my two cents worth...

Hope this helps...
irishgirl (08-09-2008)
Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
LOL that's brilliant Maureen!!! It's funny because it's (sadly) true...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
That was so funny, Maureen! And the idea of giving an afternoon off with full pay instad of the party sounds pretty good!

Are spouses/significant others included in the invitation? I think you are really smart to try to organize this early, irishgirl! You will have many more options.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
have you checked out Dave and Busters?? They do have banquet rooms that they do rent out although I am not sure what the price is though. It is fun there.