Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How do you decorate for the Fall?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,857
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,291)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Lfisch has shown a merry disposition
I usually have corn shalks with mums and pumpkins in a display on the front porch. I also hollow out pumpkins and make planters out of them with kale and pansies (cool weather tolerant). When the pumkins begins to deteriorate, I just compost it in the garden. I also make tealights out of jack be little pumpkins....just carve a whole big enough to place a tealight and hang them from small shephards hooks up and down my walkway to my front door. Now all that was outdoor decor....indoors, I make a table centerpiece with fallen leaves, acorns, silk fall flowers and have a large candle in the center. Also, I have a year round holiday tree (5' Alpine) that I will soon take the summer decor off and place fall decor on til it is time to make it a Christmas tree for my dining room. Also around the house I place fall like/colored items in dishes and vases. I have about 3 boxes of fall decor that will be placed here and there.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
How do I decorate for fall...hmmmm..that's a great question! I have never been in a place where I really had the opportunity to decorate for fall, but now...once I get into my house, I will go allllll out! Pumpkins, scarecrows, you name it!! I'll think of more creative ideas....or if anyone wants to throw out some ideas, you are welcome!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe

The "Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular" at McCoy stadium in Pawtucket, RI. Photo by Jim Murphy

I put a large group of autumn-colored artificial flowers in the flower bed outside my door, and I drape a garland of autumn leaves around the door itself. All bought at Michaels. These all go up on September 1. Although, last September we had a heat wave the first week, and I waited for that to pass.

In October, I add a group of real pumpkins. A week before Hallowe'en I carve them, and every night I light them. I also put up a Hallowe'en banner on the wall next to my door.

This year I'm also thinking of adding a bunch of fake crows here and there along the fence. I'd like to add a scarecrow (I have a thing for scarecrows), but all the scarecrows I see in stores are the cutesy type. I'd like something with either a blank face or a primitive face. Maybe I should make one myself.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Some ideas from:
Better Homes and Gardens magazine
Martha Stewart
Country Living magazine.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Don't forget this Sunday, August 10 we are chatting at 08:00 GMT about fall decorations !

Please join us to share your lovely ideas !!
Maureen (08-10-2008)
Old 08-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

pinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elf
Thank you for the links - I am going to check out some ideas. I don't have a lot of money to play with for decorating our city apartment, but I do bring out my pumpkin ginger tea light candles and replace our white ones with those. It really makes our home smell nice and my husband likes it, too.

We also try to put out a few pumpkins as well.

Hopefully I can get some more cute ideas for fall on here.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
At the end of Sept we start decorating for fall and halloween. Outside: Corn stalks around the lamp post in the front yard and at the end of the front step rails. Hay bales, scarecrows and pumpkins on the deck and in the front yard. Mums lining the front walkway. Wreath for the front door. Inside silk flowers, candles, wrought iron pumpkin for the dinningroom table. Mini hay bales and scarcrows adorn the corner on the top stair landing. Ceramic tealight candle house, small ceramic bears dressed up in halloween costumes on top ofthe entertainment center. Wooden halloween pumpkins in the windows. All the halloween decorations we have are cutesy, nothing scary, our kids are little and are not into the scary stuff.
On Nov 1 the halloween decoration come down and the Thanksgiving decorations go up. Don't have as much for Thanksgiving, going to try to find some more this year.
Last year after halloween we bought new lite up pumpkins and other decorations so not sure where we are going to use them this year.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

MrsSoup has shown a merry disposition
Last year I used a hay bale and scarecrows in my front yard. I put in faux fall foliage and used mini orange lights. After we visited the pumpkin patch I added a bunch of pumpkins as well. I also used faux fall leaf garland around the door frames and had windows clings that were fall leaves as well. I always have a wreath on the door too. This year I have a mantel and it will be lined with fall leaf garland and some mini pumpkins and possibly lights. I just got all my stuff out of storage today so once I go through it i'll have a better idea of how i'm going to decorate. I have a ton of Halloween stuff and only a little fall stuff.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

irishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elf
So Inspiring!!!

You all are so inspiring!! I love the ideas.. keep them coming!!! Aggy and Holiday your pictures were wonderful!!! SO much fun!!!
We are pretty tight with $$ so I don't have alot of decorations.. I feel guilty spending the $$ when I know my son will need shoes sooner rather than later.. but I really am going to try this year to do alittle more..
I usually go to the dollar store and buy some clings.. both leaves and Halloween. I have some fun ceramic candle holders that me Mom gave me. I also have orange lights that I put around my windows on my enclosed porch. I made "lanterns" out of old coffee cans. I filled them with water and then froze them. I then used a nail and did a punched tin effect.. I have 3.. I then painted the outside.. I have a black one, a white one and of course an orange one. I have an old wire spool that I painted a jack o lantern face on it. And of course we go to the pumpkin patch and I will buy one or two mums. It sounds like a lot when writing it but every year I feel sad because I don't think it looks that great.. I will look for pictures to post!