Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,604)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
It's a Wonderful Life...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:17 PM
52,067 Views  0 Posts
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,053 Views  0 Posts
The Nutcracker
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:34 PM
50,157 Views  0 Posts
Why the Big Guy is a Big...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:10 PM
0 Posts
"Little Merry Christmas"......
By MerryCarey
05-24-2012 01:16 PM
51,589 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

dowload is a new face around here!
ok seriously this is a stupid thing to be fightning about. For one i'm only a seventh grader from a small town in maine. at my school we celebrate christmas but not in depth. like we just have parties and stuff like that. but for one thing 4 someone to be saying we shouldn't have Martin Luther King day that's just wrong. He was one man and helped out thousand of people. And about the pledge. if u don't want to say under god then get ready to plug ur ears buddy cause it aint going.

that's just my thought though
Old 10-23-2005, 11:03 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Welcome, dowload. It is great to get your perspective! Thanks for being here.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

dowload is a new face around here!
Thank you. I thought i was kinda going out on a limb there but i'm glad to see that people still listen to us kids.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Smemorina is a new face around here!

Ciao
nelle scuole private gestite da suore o preti ancora si parla e si vive il Natale, certo le scuole pubbliche lo vive solo come festa, ne parlano ormai poco, e giā dai 6/7 anni i bambini non credono a Santa ma sanno che sono i genitori a portare i regali.
Per me č sbagliato dire che Santa non esiste, finisce una magia, un sogno...
Molte scuole ormai ha tanti bambini di altre religioni e questo influisce molto (purtroppo a molti manca il rispetto per le tradizioni del paese che ti ospita!)
Io per quanto posso lascio i miei figli vivere la magia del natale.
CIAOOOO

Hello
in the private schools nuns or priests managed from still speak themselves and she only lives Christmas, sure the public schools the alive ones like festivity, of it they speak by now little, and from the 6/7 years the children already do not believe Santa but they know that they are the parents to carry gifts.
For me it is mistaken to say that Santait does not exist, ends one magic, a dream...
Many schools by now have many children of other religions and this influences a lot (to many unfortunately lacks the respect for the traditions the country that it accommodates to you!) I for how much can I leave my sons living the magic of the christmas
CIAOOO
Old 11-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Twinkle has disabled reputation
Smemorina: I could not read your first Italian post but my husband could. He is Sicilian and we visited Sicily last May. I loved Sicily! It was bella bella. It was difficult for me because I cannot speak the language so my husband had to interpret everything. We had an absolutely wonderful time, loved the people, and hope to return. Welcome to the board and so good having someone from Italy with us. In Sicily we saw many Christian traditions upheld everywhere we went. Papa Pio's picture was in every business and home, along with a crucifix..Can you imagine a crucifix in an office building in America?
As we know, America has become the melting pot for all religious faiths. Muslim faith has been growing by leaps and bounds. In France, it is approx 90 percent Muslim now.
England is also growing fast in this faith. As I understand it, Muslim faith is peaceful being believers in Allah (God) but there are always some who become radical and spoil the view of the religion. However, the Muslim faith nor any other did not found the country of America and it should be remembered that our forefathers created the constitution and the bill of rights which act to govern the great country of America. Because we do have freedom of religion in America I believe there are some trying to spoil it for the majority by imposing their secluded views. For instance, one athiest can cause prayer to be taken out of the schools which we know happened many years ago. I say when you remove God from our schools, God removes Himself and we are on our own which is just sad to me because I see this is where it's at today. Nothing surprises me anymore. If we do not teach our children at home Christian principles/Godly values, it will not happen in the schools and this is just the way it has become and seems to be getting further and further away from God.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Christmas in school

Wow! You guys are really smart folks. I am sincere in that, not being sarcastic. You have said so much that is worth thinking about on this issue. Now, my turn to say just a little. Fact: God created the universe in which we live. This is not a religious fact, but a fact, like the fact that Karl Malone should have retired in Utah. So, to purposely remove Him from any part of life in order to avoid offending those who choose not to believe in Him is wrong. Can you imagine if Adam and Eve had decided not to mention God's name around Cain because he might be offended? It sounds ridiculous on a small scale like that, but it is just as ridiculous to honor unbelief on a national scale. I can't look back to see who said it right now, but one of you was dead on when you said that even if the government bans the mention of God everywhere in public, that doesn't prevent you from teaching your own family. By teaching our family and then our close friends and then co-workers, etc., we will eventually see Christmas return to the schools and the post office. (What do they call Christmas seals now, anyway?) Happy Late-December Festival, everyone!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:48 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
From where I'm sitting I don't see any particular group expressing "offense". What I see are ACLU types speaking "in behalf" of non-Christians who they claim are offended.

This is America. If someone in particular is offended we usually know who it is and they don't hide behind the skirts of the ACLU.

I just think people use Christmas as a means to advance political agendas.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

SnowAngel is a new face around here!
It seems to me that i'm in the minority on this topic and that's fine. I just want to clarify that i'm not speaking on behalf of people, i'm speaking from personal experience. This was never an arguement" to me, just a place to express opinions and it was never done with the intention of sharing any political views i may have. i just wanted to make that clear.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
I can go along with the idea of respecting other world religions as long as that simply means to treat the adherents as fellow human beings. I cannot respect their beliefs if that means I must treat all religions as equal. How many belief systems will the Creator respect? If your answer is one, and I think that's right, then that's how many belief systems I should respect as well. Our country was not founded on the idea of 21st century tolerance for all things religious but on a Judeo-Christian foundation of faith in the Creator God. Well, I'm overdue for a dose of eggnog, so I'm shutting my cakehole. I really enjoy everyone's company. Thanks for your ideas and fellowship.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Mr. Christmas is a new face around here!
We need to keep it in our schools and families. And if some people are offended or don't believe in it, they can just not pay any attention or say it. It's like if I traveled to a foreign country whose national religion was different than Christianity, I wouldn't ask them to change their culture and way of life to mine. I just wouldn't participate in their religious things and I wouldn't say what they say. That's what upsets me about this whole thing. People want to change our lives to theirs. Well, what if I want to change their lives to ours. Would that be right? No. Why can't those people see this? I have no clue.