Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » have you ever been carolling?

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Voices of Elves in the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:22 PM
0 Posts
The Bishop's Wife (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:05 PM
0 Posts
"The Purloined...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:34 AM
55,334 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Safety
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:51 PM
45,244 Views  0 Posts
Dear Santa: Getting...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:36 PM
43,548 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

NLxmasmom has shown a merry disposition
I remember going with my mom as part of our church growing up. I don't think they even do it here now. My DD10 has went a couple of times with her school, but it's been during school hours and they do it in front of the local grocery store.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Santa Clausologist

auntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elf
Funny you should ask, just last night I started to think that I have never been caroling and really want to do it this year.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I went with a group of neighbors one year. One woman organized it, and even had small booklets for everyone, with all the words to the Christmas carols in them. The woman and her husband hosted the party -- and provided many rounds of alcoholic drinks to everyone. Then - we lurched out to sing. We were quite terrible. Nobody gave us cookies, or thanked us, or asked why we didn't come back in other years. They were just glad we never returned to sing again.

Our hostess divorced her husband and joined AA and never had such a party again. However, I am certain that many of you have truly beautiful stories to share.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

winterwonderland88 has shown a merry disposition
Now that I think about it, I've been carolling quite a few times! When I was in primary school one year our school choir went carolling round the local nursing homes, which was great fun, and made even more Christmassy by the fact that it was the one time it has snowed in December in my entire life! Every year the only male teacher at the school (bless him) would dress up as Santa on the last day of term and go round the classes giving the younger children gifts. The school choir and recorder group would always go in with him to sing carols whilst they opened their gifts, that was always loads of fun.

Our church choir always went carolling every Christmas Eve in the town centre, which was great too.

My favourite time though has to have been a couple of years ago when I was at sixth form. A group of students, including myself, were going to Uganda the following July and we were fundraising. We borrowed the Rotary Club Christmas float and my poor old art teacher was dragged in to dress as Santa. We went round the local neighbourhood knocking on doors and singing carols, whilst our Santa waved from the float. The kids faces when they saw Santa was great, and they were fantastic at joining in with the songs. I think as the parents saw how happy we were making their children they gave more money!
The Following User Says Thank You to winterwonderland88 For This Useful Post:
SparkleNana (11-11-2008)
Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
That is a wonderful story, winterwonderland88!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

winterwonderland88 has shown a merry disposition
Thanks SparkleNana

I think I'll have to drag some friends out carolling this year, it's been far too long!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I forgot about the school chorus! I don't know if it counts as carolling but, we did go to the senior citizens personal care home and the senior citizens center to sing for them. I forgot about that. Also, each year our fire dept. drives Santa around the town and gives out candy to the kids who come out to see him on the fire truck. After they have finished for the day we have a special box of candy that we take to the nuns who live in our district. They always give us a donation every year and tell us how they say prayers everytime they hear the whistle blow for a call or hear sirens in the distance. Well, they have a tree in their foyer and they make us stand around it and they gather all of the nuns and if they are able to the nuns that are ill come as well. Then we all sing Christmas songs together the firefighters and the nuns! My husband always says he doesn't like it but, he goes every year and I think he secretly likes it! Ever since he made me go I loved it too. I think it's pretty fun and I make all of the guys sing, no lip syncing allowed! I think we are the highlight of their year when we come up there for carols. I don't imagine they get many visitors like our boisterous bunch, there are many smiles!!!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following User Says Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
Sapsorrow (01-05-2010)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Snowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry disposition
Singing at a senior citizens' center is definitely caroling! I miss doing things like that. It doesn't seem like anyone my age (or older, for that matter) want to carol anymore. I think when I start a Girl Scout troop I'll try to get my girls into it at a young age. Maybe they'll carol with me for years and years - (a girl can hope, right?).
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

BooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elfBooksNChristmas is a good elf
I would really like to get something together! Maybe I'll print out a flyer and see if I can get any takers in my neighborhood!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Twinkle has disabled reputation
I've been carrolling many times through the years with our church.