Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Some Thanksgiving help required....

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
Some Thanksgiving help required....

hi all,

i have decided to host my own thanksgiving dinner (just for my partner and i) this year as it's a holiday that's always fascinated me (i'm from england, as you'll all know we don't do thanksgiving in the uk)

so, what do i do? any advice on what to cook and what the day should be like so that it is as authentic as it can be? i'm really looking forward to it!

oh yeah, and what date is it in november? *hangs head in shame*
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Official button pusher!

Last Achievements

Thanked 6,001 Times in 1,079 Posts
Undrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the tree
Well I dont know what the date is for the US Thanksgiving because Im Canadian :P BUT we have turkey, mashed potatoes with gravey, rolls, sweet potatoes and turnip. Pie for desert.
Thank you, Louann. We will never forget you!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

Janet has shown a merry dispositionJanet has shown a merry disposition
Thanksgiving in the US is on November 27 this year. To eat we usually have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, greenbeans, mac and cheese and for dessert sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie or banana pudding...ok i'm hungry now..lol
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Im from the US and I saw someone already posted that our Thanksgiving is Thursday November 27th this year. Thanksgiving is usually a different date every year but is always the 4th Thursday in November. We watch the Macy's Day parade on TV (The parade is live in New York City) but I live outside of Baltimore, Maryland about 3 1/2 hours away. Then we eat eat eat haha. Turkey of course, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, rolls, green bean caserole, pumpkin pie etc. I go over my in laws first and then my parents. Even here in the US each family does vary on what exactly they eat. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, let us know how it turns out!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
According to Wikipedia here are the most popular Thanksgiving dishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksg...er#Side_dishes
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,467 Times in 1,753 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
We have Thanksgiving every year but as I'm Canadian, ours is on the 2nd Monday of October - you are more than welcome to join us

We have roast turkey, all the trimmings (see below) and pumpkin pie. Let me know if you need a source for pumpkin - I cheat and use the tinned variety (I like E D Smith's) and I can give you a note of where to get it if you like!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
cheryl65

candle

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, we should all take time to reflect with those we love on what we are thankful for.

Our dinner always consists of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and carrots, rolls, cranberry sauce, and pumpking pie. We always have black and green olives olives and celery stuffed with cream cheese to munch on prior to dinner as well. family memebers may bring something different to add some years, but nothing from what i listed is ever taken away, lol. One year we had dinner up north with my ex inlaws, and i thought i was going to cry, their dinner was not the same as what i'm used to and i was devastated by it, lol.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
thanks so much for the help (any other ideas/suggestions are welcome!) i'm really looking forward to it!

so, you all keep mentioning "pie". to me, pie is a savoury dish - chicken and mushroom, steak and ale etc... the pies you guys eat, would they be like cake over here or maybe like cheesecake or something?

mschristmas - i've always wanted to go to baltimore!

maureen- quick question, do you have any idea where we would get eggnog in the UK? i know it's a bit early, but come november i would imagine it's sold here? i can just never find it!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by JOHNOR View Post
thanks so much for the help (any other ideas/suggestions are welcome!) i'm really looking forward to it!

so, you all keep mentioning "pie". to me, pie is a savoury dish - chicken and mushroom, steak and ale etc... the pies you guys eat, would they be like cake over here or maybe like cheesecake or something?

mschristmas - i've always wanted to go to baltimore!

maureen- quick question, do you have any idea where we would get eggnog in the UK? i know it's a bit early, but come november i would imagine it's sold here? i can just never find it!
If you're talking about Advaccat (i think thats how you spell it) have you checked the supermarkets?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
The pie they speak of is essentially the same as what you're accustomed to, only with a sweet, sometimes jelly-like filling. The consistency of sweet potato or pumpkin pie filling is somewhat like cheesecake, though the shell/crust would be something like what you are familiar with in your savory pies.

I've heard other users from the UK say in the past that they were unable to find eggnog. If you're intent on having some, your best bet may be to just make it yourself, which isn't very difficult at all.