Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in the...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:16 PM
41,581 Views  0 Posts
Frankincense
By MMC Editor
06-08-2011 05:45 PM
47,396 Views  0 Posts
How to Get Your Teen in...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:28 PM
42,357 Views  0 Posts
“Home for the Holidays”...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:45 AM
40,734 Views  0 Posts
"Mary Cary's Business"......
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 12:42 PM
52,264 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

TwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnog
light So much to do!

Hi All!

Hubby & I have bought our first home and we are planning on moving around the end of this month. So many boxes!!

For anyone thats ever moved, do you get overwhelmed by all the packing? Do you start to try to figure out where to put the boxes after theyre packed?

And the change of address forms from the post office, needing to call (or wanting hubby to call) and get the utilities and whatever switched over to the new address and ready by the time we move in....Eeep!
Lets here your moving stories, and any advice is totally welcome!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
Ive moved quite a few times in recent years. It will seem like a lot to do at first but I suggest by sorting out the important things like doctors/utility bills first . As for boxes , just take one day at a time, one room at a time.
Hey, I moved into my current house almost two years ago and only now we're doing some DIY!!! eeekkk!!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,470 Times in 911 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Take advantage of this time to declutter as you are packing. If you come across something that you have not used in the past 2 years and can not fore see yourself using any time soon, get rid of it. That would one less thing to pack and move.
When we moved, I kept all my fragile labled boxes together and marked all the boxes so when it was time to move them into the new house, each box went into the room it was meant for. Saves on time on trying to find boxes when you are ready to unpack.
Start packing up anything you will not be using from now until after you move.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Official button pusher!

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,910 Times in 1,066 Posts
Undrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the tree
My Wife and I moved In Feb of this year into our first house Exciting eh? It took one day to move from our apartment. Two trips in the truck and misc trips with the car. DONT put off unpacking, some people tell me they still have packed boxes after years of moving in haha. Oh yes and make sure the food is handy for the people that are helping move. Since I have asthma and cant do a whole lot I was bbqing hotdogs and sausages for the people helping
Thank you, Louann. We will never forget you!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I agree with Undrtakr -- the food on moving day is really really important! If people are helping you, get plenty of food and water and drinks! Even if it is just your own family group, plan delicious food to pick up your spirits!

I have a hint on the change of address thing. Some post offices are better than others at forwarding mail. Since the forms are free, and postage free -- I get three forms. I fill them all out completely (new address, old address, etc.) I send one to the NEW post office (you just fill in the zip code, I think.) I send a duplicate one to the OLD post office. And I tape the third duplicate form up beside my mail slot when I move. (Or if it is a rural mailbox, put it inside with the flag up!)
Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I have moved countless times. It's alot of work and can be totally draining getting everything in order, boxed up and in one piece to the next place. I would say from past experience take your time so you don't feel so overwhelmed. If you know you are moving in advance do a little at a time each day. That way you are not overwhelmed trying to do it all in a couple weeks or even a month. I learned to also pack up stuff I knew I wouldn't be using anytime soon or could live without for the time being. I got to the point of leaving out 2 plates, 2 forks 2 spoons etc....just enough to get us by. Doing just these few ideas helped out a great deal and eliminated alot of stress. As for the change of address you should be able to fill out the form and write in the exact date to receive mail at your new place. Not sure where you are located but the many places I have lived or moved to I just called the local power company, phone company etc and said please disconnect on this day and reconnect on that day. Best of luck to you. And congrats, on your new home you just purchased!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

TwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnogTwinkleLights25 will NOT spit in your eggnog
Thanks everyone!

Hmmm..on the food part, wonder if maybe a pizza or McDonalds or something would be possible..Might just have to wait and see how it goes on moving day.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I just moved into my very own home last year. Had moved a few times previously and learned not to keep clutter and junk around.

Here are my tips: Sort and label your boxes by the room, i.e. kitchen, bedroom, living room, ... plus contents. Anything you don't need immediately can be labeled garage (if you have one). That way when you move you can immediately get them into the correct room and unpack the most urgent things first and continue unpacking as you need things.

Moving can be very stressful but if you organize it well you'll feel much more in control. Make sure EVERYTHING is packed before the moving company or your helpers get there. That way they can start loading immediately. And yes, do provide enough food and drinks for everybody.

Make a list of all your utility companies, insurance, etc... to notify of your new address.

I would make sure to get everything unpacked in plenty of time to get prepared for Christmas !! Just think of celebrating your first Christmas in your new home and you'll be motivated to get it all done asap !
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
First, congratulations on your new home!!! My DH and I will hopefully be purchasing our first home within the next year or two and we can't wait...you must be so excited!!

Now, on to the moving advice...

1. If there's anything you want to do...like cleaning the carpets, painting the walls, etc. try to do it before you move in. Those things are MUCH easier to do without having to deal with your furniture and things in the way.

2.Make sure you take some necessities to the new house in your first trip. By that, I mean things like paper towels, hand soap, and toilet paper.

3. I second the idea of having food and drinks available for those who are helping you move. You will be way too busy to prepare anything so keep it simple, either sandwiches or, even better, order a few pizzas or some subs from Subway.

4. My sister is one of the world's most organized movers and this is what she does to keep things going smoothly:

Each room in the new house is assigned a color.

Then, she puts a colored sticker on each box and piece of furniture that matches the color assigned to the room where the item is supposed to go.

Then, at the new house, each room has a colored balloon, weighted down, in the middle of the room.

So, when you help her move, all you need to do is look at the colored dot on the box and put it in the room with the matching balloon. It works incredibly well and makes her unpacking much easier.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by kerst View Post
Here are my tips: Sort and label your boxes by the room, i.e. kitchen, bedroom, living room, ... plus contents. Anything you don't need immediately can be labeled garage (if you have one). That way when you move you can immediately get them into the correct room and unpack the most urgent things first and continue unpacking as you need things.
Big fat ditto!

Also, keep a box of essentials like Toilet Paper, Toothbrushes/Paste, Meds, Tylenol, Soaps, Cups, Spoons, Can Opener etc... near, in case you can't get to everything immediately.

You can also do a Change of Address online through USPS. There is a time saver for ya!

Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
kerst (08-22-2008)