Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » What does your Christmas Day look like

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2007
By MMC Editor
06-11-2007 11:13 PM
54,662 Views  0 Posts
“Christmas Afternoon” by...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:51 AM
38,827 Views  0 Posts
Charles Dickens: A Merry...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2011 03:24 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
10-19-2013 09:51 PM
69,758 Views  1 Posts
santahat Remember when Black...
By MMC Editor
11-12-2013 12:55 AM
Last post by thechristmasmusicman
01-27-2014 10:42 AM
18,490 Views  4 Posts
Why the Big Guy is a Big...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:10 PM
0 Posts

Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
holly What does your Christmas Day look like

I was just wondering what your Christmas Day would consist of from the time you wake up until you go to sleep?Please share.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,096 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Christmas DAy is not our big day....but we still celebrate it....we usually get up around nine and get ready to leave to wherever we go to have Christmas Day Lunch....there eat of course, play games, watch Christmas movies, talk and on...not much going on really...just relaxing and enjoying the time
The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
It is chaos from the moment we're all up!! Wrapping paper everywhere, I mean you could literally swim in it..there's no mercy for the paper in my house, lol.
After we have all got dressed and opened presents, around midday we go to my mothers for Christmas dinner. I have never made Christmas Dinner, its always something my mother does so the family is all together. I have three younger brothers who all live at home anyway and theres my sister who has two children of her own and my father and aunty. So there is a lot for dinner, which I like because I couldn't imagine it just being myself, daughter and husband on xmas day, I like a lot of family around.
We then spend the day playing with whatever toys, video games the kids have had or you could saying putting things together and applying stickers to toys, lol. We then eat loads of sweets and chocolates, maybe watch the television/films.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelly ann For This Useful Post:
bhenson (11-08-2008), Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
holly

Wow that sounds like a very busy day but "Really Fun at the same time" thanks for sharing.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Snowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry dispositionSnowfall has shown a merry disposition
My typical Christmas day has been changing over the years. Some things are still the same though.

Very, very early in the morning (4am? 3am?) my little brother (who is now 14 but still does this every year) wakes my sister and I up. We creep out to the living room and open stockings and watch movies. I generally fall back asleep on the couch. At 7:30, my brother (who is still awake) is allowed to wake up my parents. Then we open all of the gifts brought from Santa. And yes, Santa still brings us all gifts even though the youngest is 14 and I am 22. Then my dad makes a big breakfast and his dad and my mom's parents come over. Then we would sit around and enjoy the day until around mid-afternoon at which point it would be time to visit the rest of the family. We go out to my cousin's house and have a nice ham dinner and just talk and maybe watch some movies.

Now, I don't live with my parents anymore, but I spend the night on Christmas Eve and we still do the early morning thing. I leave after that (so no big breakfast) and I drive over to my boyfriend's parents' house. We all exchange gifts there. Then the five of us (his family and I) head out to his aunt's house where we have lunch. After lunch, the bf and I head to my cousin's house where we meet with my family and have that ham dinner.

So, the day generally starts very early in the morning and ends very late at night. It's a busy day, but so much fun!! This upcoming Christmas is going to be the last of this kind because by next Christmas, the bf and I will not be dating anymore and will have a place of our own to start traditions. This will likely be my last early morning Christmas and his last Christmas at home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snowfall For This Useful Post:
bhenson (11-08-2008), Chillywilly (10-06-2009), Smiley21 (10-14-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
tree

When my kids were growing up, our day would start with Christmas music playing and all the inside Christmas lights on for the entire day. My parents would be here for Christmas morning for they usually spent the night (even though they only lived an hour away).
Each of our children took turns in opening a gift, that way less confusion and things were kept in better order.
Then after all the gifts were opened, we would all head out to the kitchen for some breakfast and just enjoy each other the rest of the day.
Now my parents are both gone, our kids are grown, hubby and I usually get up Christmas morning and enjoy just being together for awhile, then we give our daughter and her family time to enjoy their morning together before we go and visit since she is the only one who lives nearby us.

Christmas 2007 our other daughter wanted us to spend the night and be with them Christmas morning which we did and it was nice watching little ones open up their gifts.

Now hubby and I find ourselves on the road Christmas day visiting our grandchildren. We don't want our kids to feel obligated to take their kids away from their presents on Christmas Day and especially if the weather is bad. So we do the running but we don't overstep our boundaries, we know what it's like to have that done.

So our Christmas Day now varies from year to year but no matter what we do or who is with us, we know it's Christ mas day and that never changes.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Invalid Email

HouseElf has shown a merry dispositionHouseElf has shown a merry dispositionHouseElf has shown a merry dispositionHouseElf has shown a merry dispositionHouseElf has shown a merry disposition
candle

We attend Family Mass on Christmas Eve, come home and my boys open Grandma and Grandpa's gift (always new PJ's and a book). We leave the cookies we decorated earlier out for Santa and watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas! This is my holiday photo op. with their new pj's on.

My Christmas morning will not start before 5 am! (well that is what I keep hoping!)

My youngest is the earlier riser, so he comes and snuggles with us, and we whisper and giggle about what might be downstairs till 'dad' decides he has had enough and we can all go downstairs

When we arrive downstairs the boys head for their stockings, and I go into the kitchen to start the water for hot chocolate. With Christmas music playing and lights now on, they open their stockings. I take photos and my husband puts the waffles on for breakfast (everything is precooked the day before - we just need to toast the waffles and to heat up the maple sausages). As things are warming in the oven we can watch the boys open gifts from Santa and family gifts.

After the wrapping is cleaned up and the boys have lined up their new "favourite" things, we eat a big breakfast of Waffles with whip cream and berries, and sausages (one of the few things that will drag them away from the toys for a moment!) I clean up breakfast, and start getting ready for the day.

If it is "my" turn to host Christmas dinner (it is my year if it is during the weekday , if it lands on a weekend then I do Christmas Eve and my sister does Christmas Day - lol ) I would put the ham and/ or turkey in the oven to slow roast. Everything else would just need the final stage of cooking (in oven, or slowcooker).

We then get the boys out the door for Morning Mass, if we are staying home the rest of the day is spent playing with toys and listening to Christmas music or playing a new family board game till our guests arrive. If we are going to my sisters (1.5 hours away) we leave right after Mass.

Before dinner our Christ candle is lit on our Advent wreath, and we take a moment to observe through prayer and song His birth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HouseElf For This Useful Post:
bhenson (11-08-2008), Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

ChristmasLovers has shown a merry dispositionChristmasLovers has shown a merry disposition
Our Christmas starts on Christmas eve, actually. We've been trying to start new traditions and bring back old ones. Last year we had most of my wifes family stay over night at our house Christmas Eve. Then we get up Christmas day about 8 or 9-ish. We open stocking stuff first, which with 13 people takes a bit. Then about 12 we open gifts. This can take a few hours because my wife's dad likes to gently unwrap everything lol. Then we have dinner at about 5 or so. After dinner is toy assembly and testing lol. Then the night winds down around 10 when everyone starts to head home. Unfortunately, my parents haven been to our Christmas because they live clear on the other side of town, and they haven't been too kind to me or my wifes family, in a vague sort of way.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasLovers For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Belly shakes like Jelly

Last Achievements

Steven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elfSteven is a good elf
pure chaos trying to get to everyones party on time
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Usually the kids are checking out their gifts when they first awake. We let them open a gift then Dad and I get coffee and we open the rest. After that we have something easy for bkfst like cinnamon rolls. We usually sit around for a short period of time and then get dressed and get ready for everyone to come over. The food for the dinner is usually prepared the night before so we don't have to do alot of work on Christmas day! On Christmas evening I always stay up kind of late and and watch old Christmas shows. It's my way of closure for the year until next Christmas!
The Following User Says Thank You to snowytree For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)