Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » What does your Christmas Day look like

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,464
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,752)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Up in Flames
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:26 PM
47,937 Views  0 Posts
"The Child Who Saw Santa...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 09:01 AM
0 Posts
The Christmas Feast
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:24 PM
0 Posts
Nothing
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:18 PM
52,162 Views  0 Posts
"Little Merry Christmas"......
By MerryCarey
05-24-2012 01:16 PM
51,666 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,470 Times in 911 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Santa always leaves a small present un the tree in the kids room so when they wake up in the morning they find their present and come running into our room. While they are opening that present I start the coffee pot and wake up my mother (she lives with us). We all meet in the living room and open gifts. Once all the gifts are opened, I will place breakfest in the oven and start working on the stuffing for the turkey while hubby cleans the turkey. We all get dressed and wait for my dad and his wife who join us for Christmas breakfest around 9 am. One breakfest comes out of the oven the turkey goes in. After breakfest we change gifts with my dad and his wife. They usualy leave by noon.
While the kids are playing with their new toys we clean up and I get the platters of cookies and other bakes goodies out. Make a fresh pot of coffee and relax. About mid afternoon, DH's aunt, cousin and brother come over to exchange gifts and for dinner. After dinner DH's sister and her family come over to exchange gifts and for dessert.
My best friend also stops over sometime during the day and some years we have addition guests for dinner. We usually have a full house until about 8 pm, sometimes later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
bhenson (11-08-2008), Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Dawnfletch has shown a merry dispositionDawnfletch has shown a merry disposition
We are trying to set our own christmas traditions. Joseph will be 22months old at christmas so we are trying to set some sort of christmas things before the day. We would like to take 1 of our favourites from our childhoods & add that into it ( if you get what i mean) 1 thing id like hime to do is throw wrapping paper all over the place,i couldnt do that i had to unwrap the present & give my mum the paper i wasnt alound to throw it. I think its christmassy when i see it anywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawnfletch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

veronicam has shown a merry dispositionveronicam has shown a merry disposition
My DD is 3 1/2 so Christmas is a whirlwind of activity from the early morning presents from Santa and stockings and presents to the rest of us from each other. Then it's breakfast and play time---then I start getting ready for Christmas dinner. We spend Christmas dinner with my parents at my house so we split what has to be cooked--my Dad deep fry's a turkey--my mom does the sweet potatoe casserole and the deviled eggs. I do the rest. After dinner it's more play time and visiting time with the grandparents and I clean up the kitchen. Lots of Christmas movies and music going on the entire time in the background.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veronicam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,780 Times in 3,193 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Though Christmas Day is enjoyable, Christmas Eve is our big day/night at my parents! On Christmas morning I normally wake up earlier than my hubby & he is normally awake somewhere between 9 & 10. After I get up I get on MSN & exchange present with a friend who lives farther away. We log on at whatever time we pick & "chat" while we open each others gift. Then when my hubby wakes up I make "Christmas Morning Rolls" & usually "Hearty Ham Omlets" for a brunch & we exchange gifts. After lunch we go over to my brothers house (every other year ~ if it's the off year that he isn't having his party we will go back to my parents house, or one of my other siblings) then in the late afternoon we go to my in laws house where we have a delicious meal & open presents from his parents. I love Christmas Day at his parents, but Christmas Eve at my parents is much more "Christmassy!" There are more presents at his parents, but my family is much more into Christmas than his....so you see, it's not really about the presents at all! My family really appreciates the little things & we have so much fun being together...with his family it's just another day... Does that make any sense??? I think I am the only one (besides my MIL) who says "Merry Christmas" to anyone there! I have great in laws, they just aren't into Christmas like my family!

Some years my mother in law has lunch on Christmas Day...when that is the case, we skip the omlets, exchange our gifts at home & then go to their house & my brothers after.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Though Christmas Day is enjoyable, Christmas Eve is our big day/night at my parents! On Christmas morning I normally wake up earlier than my hubby & he is normally awake somewhere between 9 & 10. After I get up I get on MSN & exchange present with a friend who lives farther away. We log on at whatever time we pick & "chat" while we open each others gift. Then when my hubby wakes up I make "Christmas Morning Rolls" & usually "Hearty Ham Omlets" for a brunch & we exchange gifts. After lunch we go over to my brothers house (every other year ~ if it's the off year that he isn't having his party we will go back to my parents house, or one of my other siblings) then in the late afternoon we go to my in laws house where we have a delicious meal & open presents from his parents. I love Christmas Day at his parents, but Christmas Eve at my parents is much more "Christmassy!" There are more presents at his parents, but my family is much more into Christmas than his....so you see, it's not really about the presents at all! My family really appreciates the little things & we have so much fun being together...with his family it's just another day... Does that make any sense??? I think I am the only one (besides my MIL) who says "Merry Christmas" to anyone there! I have great in laws, they just aren't into Christmas like my family!

Some years my mother in law has lunch on Christmas Day...when that is the case, we skip the omlets, exchange our gifts at home & then go to their house & my brothers after.

I am glad that you shared with us what your Christmas day is really like. Awesome!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Merry Fourms Member

sugar_plum_fairy has shown a merry dispositionsugar_plum_fairy has shown a merry disposition
santahat

Aww all your christmas' sound lovely

Well... i'll start with christmas eve, because thats a very important day aswell! I usually get up at around 10 or 11, to the smell of my mum cooking somthing usually. And i have a nice big breakfast, then i put on my cosiest pajama's, slippers and hoody and watch christmas films with my sisters for ages, eating lots of chocolate and general christmassy junk food. Then usually my parents will go to the pub or to a friends, and we'll blast christmas music up really loud and dance around our house. Then early evening, family comes over and the festivities begin. I usually have a few drinks, snowballs never go a miss (advocaat and lemonade.. mmm) and baileys aswell. Eat more, drink more blah blah blah, i usally stay up til around 3, so at midnight i text/phone friends wishing them merry christmas, then i'll go to bed and probably fall asleep watching some kind of festive t.v programme/film. Wake up in the morning at about 9 or 10 i spose, see that father christmas has filled up my stocking with goodys Then go downstairs open up our presents, with cousins and aunties/uncles, parents, grandma and the christmas music is usually blasting through the stereo. Then we all go for a christmassy walk to the beach with the dog, though me and my sister usually stay at home and fiddle with our presents. Then i'll get ready in my nice new christmas outfit, usually a nice dress, and then my mum starts bringing out all the food, and bloody hell its alot. From then on its pretty much all food and drink. I eat and drink myself into a merry mood. Christmas lunch is usually served at about 4ish, by this time we're all pretty drunk (cept the little'uns) so the spirits are high, we'll all be pulling crackers and wearing those flimsy paper crowns. I'd say i consume around 5000-10000 calories on christmas day, i love it lol. Errr then we just watch all the usual christmas specials on t.v at christmas, then maybe me n my sis might watch a few of our new dvds santa bought. Sometimes i dress up my cat and dog aswell, i can tell by their faces, they love it. Bed times usually a blur, probably around 3am again i spose?? Then wake up boxing day and do it all again minus the presents!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS, AAAAHHH!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sugar_plum_fairy For This Useful Post:
bhenson (11-08-2008), Chillywilly (10-06-2009), principessa (10-02-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,010 Posts
irishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the tree
Get up and have breakfast then we open our presents and then go to mass. After that we visit our relations. We come home and cook our Christmas dinner. In the evening we visit more relations
The Following User Says Thank You to irishsnow For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
Bumped this one for our new family members.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Last Achievements

sdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elf
We're sooo mean to our kids. Since they like to wake up early, around 6:00 or 6:30, we make them stay in their rooms with the doors closed. When we finally can't stand their racket any longer we finally get up, but the kids still have to stay in their rooms. We start the Christmas music playing, turn on the tree's lights, and set out breakfast and the stockings; then we call the kids to join us in the kitchen. Everyone can open their stockings at once. It's quite a din. Each kid is trying to make himself heard over the others showing each other what they got. After breakfast is finished, breakfast dishes cleared away, and everyone who wasn't before is dressed, we go to the living room. When everyone is seated we either read or listen to the Christmas story from the Bible. One year we listened to a recording of Lorne Greene reading the Christmas story and singing Christmas carols at appropriate points in the story. Then we open the presents. We pass out one present at a time so everyone can enjoy what the others get, too. When all the gifts are opened and the wrapping paper mess is cleaned up we play games, watch TV, and generally enjoy each other. We don't do any visiting because our families live so far away (6 and 14 hours). We've had both traditional and non-traditional Christmas dinners. It just depends on mine and my wife's moods at the time, although generally I prefer a traditional Christmas dinner. Christmas usually ends with watching Christmas movies that we haven't had a chance to watch earlier. That's our Christmas at home.

"In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child." - Santa Claus, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdkluger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Santa Clausologist

auntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elf
I get up around 5am. Go downstaris and get the Turkey in the oven, peel potatoes,etc. Then I get breakfast ready. My husband won't get up 'til 6:30 and then I get our sons up (20 & 22) they still induldge me We open gifts, have a hearty breakfast, then my MIL and my parents come for the day and then we have an early dinner 2ish. Clean up and relax the rest of the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to auntieclaus For This Useful Post:
Chillywilly (10-06-2009)