Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Hometown special memories

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,083
Threads: 53,866
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,459)
Welcome to our newest member, NMcKeel

Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
tree Hometown special memories

When you were growing up did your hometown do special events for Christmas? And does your present town do special events for Christmas?

My hometown was the best place to be especially during the holidays. I remember they played a special movie at the theater and kids were admitted free and we all got a very large bag filled with treats, not small candy items but large items. We also were treated to a Christmas parade every year.

They always had a huge Christmas tree by the courthouse and it was beautiful (they no longer have it). The stores were always playing Christmas music which filtered out into the street when the doors were open. People shopped in town in stores such as McCrory's; Grants; Murphys; JC Penney's; Sears; a locally owned department store that was very classy; and many other privately owned shops. Everyone greeted each other with a jolly Merry Christmas. What a treat to shop in those days. And there was someone dressed liked Rudolph who frequented the streets much to the delight of the children. And the stores closed Christmas eve at 5 PM sharp and remained closed until the day after Christmas day. The stores would be very busy between 4:30 pm and 5 pm Christmas eve. That's when they would get their male customers, husbands that were doing last minute shopping for the wives. (My dad was one of their late customers)

This kind of shopping was so much better than shopping at malls. It was wonderul.
LOL, I can say anything about a present town where I live because I don't have any.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

sgrover has disabled reputation
The only thing special about the town I grew up in, was that the choir from the high school would dress up in Victorian clothes and go to the bank and sing Christmas carols - they still do.

The town I live in now does a Christmas parade every year the first Sat in December. Our church always does a Nativity float. I remember the year my step son got voted to be the angel Gabriel - he cried and cried. Why? "Because angels are all girls!!!!!!!!" I finally brought out the Bible and showed him where it said Gabriel was a 'he'. Whew!
The Following User Says Thank You to sgrover For This Useful Post:
joyful (09-08-2008)
Old 09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
The small town that I grew up in always had a parade each Christmas and the little store's painted their window's with Christmas theme's.Of course the school had their Christmas show with play's and music.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_Speedy_Elf For This Useful Post:
joyful (09-08-2008)
Old 09-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
tree

Thanks for your replies. I love to read about Christmas memories.
Christmas parades, church plays, special school programs and windows decorated on stores, I love it.

Thank goodness for the angels, they are messengers from God.

A town near to my hometown always does this special play called "The Search for Peace", it's done in total darkness with spotlights shone on the players when it's their turn. One scene has the angels coming down the asle's and they are beautiful with their wings glittering in the spotlight. The singing is so professional, it's an awesome play to see and if everyone would see it before Christmas it would bless them.

I'm glad your little guy got happier about his angel role.

And how neat to sing Christmas carols dressed in Victorian clothes.

I hope to read more hometown memories.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,724 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
since....lets say 15-17 years trumpet and posaune players gather on the two towers of these two churches
Wormser Dom

and

evangelische Magnus Kirche

on the eve of the 23. of December and play German Christmas Carols....You can see how more and more people gather between those churches from year to year....by now it´s at least 2000 people coming to listen to the music......Stands sell Glühwine and Bratwursts and Brezels to keep people warm...of course the children don´t get the wine....they get hot Orange Juice or Kinderpunch.......when the musicians are done...most of the people are going for a last visit to the Weihnachtsmarkt.....It´s been a tradition for my family for quite some time now....actually....since it´s there.....and since 2006 my daughter is there too....I wonder if she likes it this year, since she´s close to three then and will realize Christmas all those little things a lot more.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
joyful (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We lived out in the country and I can't remember ever having been in the city at Christmas time as a kid. We did go to midnight mass and there was always a church play. The only time of the year mass was actually fun to go to . In those days (I'm talking 30 years ago) Christmas wasn't nearly what it is today. Now the town I live organizes a christmas market every year with ice skating rink, the streets are decorated, the shops of course, there are christmas specials at the theatre etc etc...
joyful (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanks for the neat pictures trackrebel, I enjoyed viewing them. I am kinda of history nut and my ancestors came here from Germany, Hamburg Germany.

And kerst, how neat that you live in a town that is so into Christmas. It would be nice if more towns followed their example.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
The street that I grew up on was very community-oriented. We all knew each other and had block parties. Every Christmas eve, we would get brown paper bags, fill them with sand, put candles in them and line the street with the candlelit bags. The entire street was aglow in candle light. Then, we would sing carolers and someone would provide apple cider and hot cocoa. It was sooo much fun.
joyful (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I live outside of Baltimore, but there is a really cool tradition in Baltimore. Its near 34th street (like Miracle on 34th street) and the whole street is decorated. Thousands of people visit there and every single house (rowhomes) are completley decked out! Here is the link!

http://www.christmasstreet.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsChristmas For This Useful Post:
joyful (09-08-2008), Ms_Speedy_Elf (09-08-2008)
Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by MsChristmas View Post
I live outside of Baltimore, but there is a really cool tradition in Baltimore. Its near 34th street (like Miracle on 34th street) and the whole street is decorated. Thousands of people visit there and every single house (rowhomes) are completley decked out! Here is the link!

http://www.christmasstreet.com/

Oh wow ! That is so awesome! It would be so nice if every neighborhood done this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]