Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Share Your Snow Stories!

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Winning the Gimmee Battle
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:29 PM
49,536 Views  0 Posts
How to Make the Most of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:55 PM
47,565 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Crackers
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:31 PM
56,482 Views  0 Posts
Boxing Day
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:30 PM
51,607 Views  0 Posts
A Miraculous Movie
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:02 PM
53,874 Views  0 Posts

Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Share Your Snow Stories!

I was wondering if you guys have any stories that you'd like to share about past snow storms or just snow falls.

I'll start:
It does get cold here, contrary to popular belief! (highs in Jan-Feb can be as low as 30F)
This past January or February, it was a very cold, cloudy Thursday. It started snowing, and it was beautiful. It really started picking up and by the time my fiance got home from work, there was a slight dusting on the ground. Unfortunately, the snow turned to rain just a couple of hours later and by the time we woke up in the morning, it was all gone...but it was still freezing. Friday, I was watching the news while I was working from home and the local meteorologist was all abuzz about a snow storm that is moving toward Atlanta! They start acting like it's the end of the world because we might get "up to 4 inches of snow!" (lol...not a lot, I know)It's like Christmas morning all over again! I woke up early Saturday morning and ran to the window and the snow was already starting to fall. My fiance soon woke up and we cooked a big breakfast of pancakes, eggs, grits and sausage. We watched the coverage of the snow on the news as the snow fell harder. When there was three or more inches on the ground, we decided to take our dog out to play in it. We ran outside and had a snow fight, built a snow man and took a walk. When we got back into the house, I got the Christmas mugs out that we hadn't used since December and make home made creamy hot chocolate. We sipped our hot cocoa and watched the snow fall. We took a nap, watched some movies and chilled out. The snow stuck around for a couple of days after, but we had so much fun the day it fell. We were like kids again!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I loved snow as a child and would sleigh ride all day long. But as I have gotten older I don't care for it. I don't care to ski (I grew up in a ski town even), It scares me to drive on icy roads. To me it's miserable and depressing. I would totally be ok with Snow on Christmas only. I guess when you lived where it snows often and by the feet and sometimes -30 degree weather and then some...and your car doesn't start etc...I feel I could sure live without it. But then again you always want what you can't have. I guess if I lived in Southern California, back in Arizona or even Florida maybe then I would miss it a little bit. As for my daughter she loves it and could spend all day outside in it.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

stoerkel has shown a merry disposition
i'm in TX so I don't have but a couple of snow stories. The most recent is that a couple (2,3 years ago) we did get snow on Christmas eve and those cities south of us Galvestion, etc. had enought that it did stick to the ground and people had to shovel cars out! It was really neat.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

reindeerelf has disabled reputation
santahat

We were lucky last Season and had 2 or 3 significant snow events between Christmas and New Years. This is the time my sister-in-law and her husband and our two nieces visit us. They come from Atlanta so it is rare for them to see so much snow. We built a snow fort, a snow man and did lots of sledding. Of course all of this was followed by hot chocolate for the nieces and something a little stronger for the rest of us enjoyed by the fireplace amid all the decorations. It was a perfect Christmas time. Hope we have the same luck next year.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:05 PM
mammaduke

Waking up in the morning to see the ground all covered with a freshly fallen snow, as we bundle up to go out there & shovel, we remember all the fun we had as children. So down we go to make our snow angels & start creating the biggest snow man we can make. It was a fun filled day, then into the house we go for a hugh cup of hot cocco, & some cookies.
A wonderful day having fun in a winter wonderland.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,402 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
We were living in Montreal when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. That was in the November. Anybody who knows what Quebec winters are like can imagine what my mum had to drive through twice a day to see my dad in hospital. One night she came home and pulled her gloves off to use the front door key. Her hands were cold and as the glove came off, so did her sapphire and diamond engagement ring. There was enough heat left in the ring to make in sink all the way through 6 ft of snow.

We were out there for hours, days, weeks, sifting snow with a sieve. The guy that shovelled our path had to make sure that all our snow stayed on our property - we hadn't a clue where that ring had flown to.

Cut to March and the snow was melting. The garden had turned into a quagmire and was a complete mess. Mum came home from the hospital, looked down and there was her ring. Totally filthy, covered in mud, but intact. I got to phone my dad and give him the good news - he told my mum he thought he'd dreamed the call. He died 2 months later

That's my story about snow
Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
I was born in Indiana and I recall one snow in particular that we had in 1978.It wasn't just any snow ,we had a blizzard and it's the only one that I ever remember .We had a little over 3 foot of snow,30 +mph wind's and HIGH snow drift's. My grandpa lived in a one story house and the snow drifted all the way up one side so you couldn't even see the kitchen window. It was all the way up to the gutter.My parent's,brother and I lived in a 2 story house and there were so WHOPPER icicles that hung from the gutter all the way to the ground .Some were about as big around as the average person's upper arm . Well my brother and I decided to get brave .We both got a baseball bat and started smacking these massive ice sticks and then we'd RUNNNN like crazy to keep from getting hit.

Here are some articles about the blizzard

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...blizzard78.htm

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ind/?n=blizzardof78

I miss those big snow's ,since I now live in Tennessee where we seldom get a snow that amounts to anything.I especially miss not having snow on Christmas day. To me it just doesn't feel like Christmas without snow.I have only been back home to Indiana for Christmas with my dad and family one time in the past 27 year's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,059 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
tree

The last major blizzard with significant snow amounts we had was back in 1993 one week after my daughter had our grandson and they were staying here with us. I was so glad the baby came early because our local hospital does not deliver babies and it would have been hard getting her to the hospital 30 miles away. The governor closed down highways, in fact the road in front of our house was closed. I was so glad we were all safe in our home and no need to go anywhere. A blizzard is very bad with little visibility and sometimes none.
We do get blowing snow which reduces visibility which makes me very nervous to be in a car. Thank goodness for mail boxes for that's the only guide you have that you are still on the road.
I use to like snow until I moved where I live now.

We did have a beautiful Christmas eve snow where we lived before moving here. The snow was falling so beautifully (I didn't mind it then). Our kids were tucked into bed, with visions of sugar plums dancing oops that's another story. Anyway my hubby went out to shovel and he was gone a very long time. I went outside and called for him, no answer. I could not imagine where he went but I had no choice but to stay inside with the kids and wait.
Hours later he finally returned. He said he was down at the end of our driveway and a car stopped, the poor elderly woman's husband was sick and she was frantic, could not drive, so my husband took them to the hospital. So I could not be angry at him but it was scary for me but I'm glad he was there for that dear couple.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,084 Times in 711 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
my story involves my wonderful grandad (grandfather)

it was christmas eve 1993, i was only about 8 years old. i was very close to my grandad and i am still very close to my nan (grandmother) anyways, my grandad had been sick for a long while, he was bed ridden and didn't have alot of strength. i spent all day with him on christmas eve, i sat on his bed and we watched "chitty chitty bang bang" and i fed him some white chocolate buttons! (i remember it like it was yesterday) i was telling him how excited i was about christmas and couldn't wait to wake up in the morning and see what santa had brought, we played christmas carols and my family were in and out all day checking how he was. for some reason i wouldn't leave his side, usually i would sit with him a while and then go and play with my cousins but for some reason, today was different, i wanted to stay with him. that christmas eve night my mum told me it was time to go home, i said to my grandad "i hope it snows tomorrow" his answer "it will, i'll make sure it does"

that was the last time i spoke to my grandad, he passed away on christmas morning. sure enough, it did snow. strange really because it hadn't snowed on christmas morning in years and years.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by JOHNOR View Post
my story involves my wonderful grandad (grandfather)

it was christmas eve 1993, i was only about 8 years old. i was very close to my grandad and i am still very close to my nan (grandmother) anyways, my grandad had been sick for a long while, he was bed ridden and didn't have alot of strength. i spent all day with him on christmas eve, i sat on his bed and we watched "chitty chitty bang bang" and i fed him some white chocolate buttons! (i remember it like it was yesterday) i was telling him how excited i was about christmas and couldn't wait to wake up in the morning and see what santa had brought, we played christmas carols and my family were in and out all day checking how he was. for some reason i wouldn't leave his side, usually i would sit with him a while and then go and play with my cousins but for some reason, today was different, i wanted to stay with him. that christmas eve night my mum told me it was time to go home, i said to my grandad "i hope it snows tomorrow" his answer "it will, i'll make sure it does"

that was the last time i spoke to my grandad, he passed away on christmas morning. sure enough, it did snow. strange really because it hadn't snowed on christmas morning in years and years.

What a precious story .(hugs)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]