Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » Christmas Goodies from Your country or area

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,088
Threads: 53,924
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,660)
Welcome to our newest member, MGunderso

Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
LOL, nope wasn't me Ms Speedy Elf, the coal candy was given to my husband. LOL

He worked for a coal company and it was on of the gifts from their many associates in the coal business. The hard candy comes with a miniture pick to break it into pieces.
One drawback of eating the candy, it made your tongue all black.

Snowytree, thanks for the post, I forgot to list some things and your post reminded me. How could I forget Eggnog, it was always a Christmas staple in my home growing up. My Dad always made it and drank it and he never got sick from it as they claim today you most likely will get sick. ummmm.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

SQNOLA has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
I was thinking....what are the Christmas goodies that are being sold mostly for Christmas?

I´ll start of and add some pictures, so You can see what it is and looks like.

1. Christstollen - a type of cake with raisins and almond paste...or marzipan....it varies from area to area...but I think in the end...it almost tastes the same everywhere

2. Lebkuchen - Gingerbread...I guess You guys have that over here as well

3. Spekulatius - some type of cookies....kind of spicy...and very yummie....they have a nice form as well

4. Domino Steine -
the ones You see are cut open...I choose that pic so You can see what they are made of....it´s some type of jelly in the middle, almond past on top...and some dough on the lower part....surrounded with bitter chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate....however You like it.

5. Glühwein - hot spiced wine...very delicious....most it is red wine with some spices in it...cinnamon sticks, sometimes dried oranges, sugar and stuff like that....very delicious....and very much drunken at the Weihnachtsmarkt....I´m looking forward to it already....sometimes You get Glühwein from White Wine as well...but usually it´s red wine.

I will post more later or tomorrow...looking forward to the goodies of Your country and area.
My wife is from Vienna, and we generally spend Christmas there. I LOVE Domino Steine! In the US you can purchase them at World Market in New Orleans. I'm not sure how many cities have World Markets, but if any of you do have them on this forum, go get yourself a pack of Domino Steine! They're great. The company that makes the ones available at World Market is Bahlsen, which is also popular in Austria.

While we do have "ginger bread" in the US, I find it's not exactly the same as Lebkuchen, and certainly doesn't come in all the varieties you find in Austria/Germany. Actually, you can get some types of Lebkuchen at World Market too, also made by Bahlsen. I'm getting in a mood for snacking just writing about them!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Christmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elf
In our area it's Fudge of all flavors, and Buckeye Candy (its a chocolate covered peanut butter candy).
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,799 Times in 3,800 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by SQNOLA View Post
My wife is from Vienna, and we generally spend Christmas there. I LOVE Domino Steine! In the US you can purchase them at World Market in New Orleans. I'm not sure how many cities have World Markets, but if any of you do have them on this forum, go get yourself a pack of Domino Steine! They're great. The company that makes the ones available at World Market is Bahlsen, which is also popular in Austria.

While we do have "ginger bread" in the US, I find it's not exactly the same as Lebkuchen, and certainly doesn't come in all the varieties you find in Austria/Germany. Actually, you can get some types of Lebkuchen at World Market too, also made by Bahlsen. I'm getting in a mood for snacking just writing about them!
oh yeah....Domino Steine rocks.......one of my favorites...about Bahlsen....I think they renamed the Company now to Lorenz....but Iīm not sure....Iīllcheck it...not that You go and search for Bahlsen when itīs called Lorenz in the meantime
Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

SQNOLA has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
oh yeah....Domino Steine rocks.......one of my favorites...about Bahlsen....I think they renamed the Company now to Lorenz....but Iīm not sure....Iīllcheck it...not that You go and search for Bahlsen when itīs called Lorenz in the meantime
I don't know about Germany, but in Austria it's still called Bahlsen. I bought some Contessa at Merkur last week!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,799 Times in 3,800 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
alright I just checked it....officially it seems to be the Lorenz-Bahlsen brand...but I guess they kept it with Bahlsen in some countries....for whatever reason tho....over here in Germany...it´s Lorenz.....I hate it....since I grew up with Bahlsen
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ladybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry disposition
My husband is Dutch and his mum sends over a huge box for Sinter Klaas(Dec. 5th) and it has so many yummy goodies in it. Roomboter Letter (a flakey pastry with almond paste) you warm it in the oven and drink it with tea or coffee. Chocolate Initals for each one of the girls first names. Speculas a spicy cookie. Winter teas and all.

I'm from Maryland and I'm not sure that what I eat is that much different than everyone else in our country. I'm not sure if MD is known for anything special around the holidays; your typical holiday foods.

T.