Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Maybe it's a slow news day, but...

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,008
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,841)
Welcome to our newest member, misswang123

Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,032 Times in 2,441 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Maybe it's a slow news day, but...

... I thought this was kind of cool:

(KSL News) More than half of the population of the United States is married.

Many happily married couples will celebrate their 10th, 25th and perhaps 50th wedding anniversaries. But one happy couple has reached a milestone not many have: their 80th wedding anniversary.

Clyde and Marie Barnes are a happily married couple who said "I do" 80 years ago today.

In that length of time, they've had children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren. "We can't keep track of them," they admit. At this point, they really aren't sure how many they have.

The two met as teenagers and married early; Clyde was 18, Marie was just 15. Their son, Dale Barnes, said, "My mother was in her middle teens and her mother was not happy."

Marie's mother eventually got over it. Six years later, Clyde and Marie had their first child, Dale, who is now 74. "They've been great parents, and they've had a real good life together," he said.

Dale says he watched his parents work hard and keep good track of their money. The two retired early, Clyde when he was 52 and Marie when she was 48. Since then they have traveled through Mexico and Canada and well as throughout the U.S.

So what's the secret to a life-long marriage when so many end in divorce? The secret, really, is simple. Marie explained, "We just try to love what the other one does and do it together. If he suggests something, I try to go along with it. And if I suggest something, he seems to do the same."
It's a simple strategy that has carried them through the inevitable obstacles of staying put and sticking through a marriage, even in the worst of times. "We're pretty old!" they said today.
They also say you can't forget the second staple of a successful marriage: a sense of humor.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (09-21-2008), Holiday (09-21-2008), Minta (09-22-2008), pinkini (09-21-2008)

Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
well thats good to hear, you hear so much about divorce these days
Old 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,032 Times in 2,441 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
If my wife and I make it to 80 years we'll be 108.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

pinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elfpinkini is a good elf
Aww, congrats to them - wonderful post.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
we're going on 6 years this oct
Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Christmas Royalty

sugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Awww that is so sweet. It makes me feel good to read things like this. My husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in August. I was 17 when I got married and he had just turned 20. People said it wouldn't last, but it has. I don't know if we will live to celebrate our 80th anniversary, but it is nice to read about people that do. They seem to be of good health and mind, too. What a wonderful day for that family.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I had heard about this on the TV or the radio. I also thought it was the sweetest thing ever. It's not that common this day and age to say you have been married for 80yrs. What a special couple they must be. =)
Old 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,889 Times in 3,895 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Very awesome! Thanks for sharing! My hubby & I would be 105 if we make it to our 80th anniversary!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,127 Times in 696 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
That's great! My parents celebrated their 50th this year and I am so proud of that.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,095 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
that's lovely! there is too much divorce in this day and age, some couples just don't want to put the work in.

Despite my username, I am female!