Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » looking for holiday ideas

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,436
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Handel's Messiah
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:18 PM
47,271 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas Sight
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:36 PM
47,619 Views  0 Posts
The Legend of Baboushka
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:56 PM
58,042 Views  0 Posts
Name that Carol
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:34 PM
0 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
34,006 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Little Elf

When you mentioned snow it reminded me of something we did when I worked at a day care. The kids love it that I even do it myself at home. When there is a fresh dump of snow, get the bucket and fill your kitchen sink with it. (Make sure there are no dirty dishes in or around the sink. LOL!) Pull up a chair, give him gloves to put on and then some spoons, small buckets, etc. and let him have fun. If you want you can put food colouring on the snow to make colours. Don't forget to put a towel on the floor!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Santas Little Helper
Last Achievements

Lorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry disposition
just have fun with him xxxxxxx
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorn--xx For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
After giving it some thought, my favorite Christmas traditions are the simple ones.

Driving around looking at Christmas lights while listening to Christmas music.

After we put up the Christmas tree, we always have to go stand on the sidewalk outside to admire the effect of the tree in the window. Then, we go in and have hot cocoa by the lit up Christmas tree.

Always watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation while we're decorating the tree.

Making Christmas cookies with my grandma when I was a kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine73 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Oh, and I forgot, an Advent calendar. Get a chocolate one if you can find it...those are great. There's nothing like starting (or ending) each day in December by opening an advent calendar and getting a little chocolate treat!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine73 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Santas Little Helper
Last Achievements

Lorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry disposition
i loved being read to when i was little!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lorn--xx For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

mistletoe misfit has shown a merry dispositionmistletoe misfit has shown a merry dispositionmistletoe misfit has shown a merry dispositionmistletoe misfit has shown a merry dispositionmistletoe misfit has shown a merry disposition
Find a how many more sleeps calender or if not make one together. My sister and brother-in-law bought one for our kids a few years back. It has a dial for changing the numbers each day and also a blank calender you can fill in, then they can scratch off each day as it goes. Our kids love doing this each year.
The Following User Says Thank You to mistletoe misfit For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

melindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elfmelindasue is a good elf
I agree with what other people previously said about the advent calandars. When I was little it got me out of bed in Decemeber EVERY MORNING no lie! And Your son probably knows how to read, but if you got an advent calandar that involved reading something, he would feel excited about reading it! And also someone else said to drive around listening to Christmas music looking at Christmas lights! Also, when I was little my dad used to get this HUGE coloring poster of Santa and we used to color it before Christmas and put pompoms for his beard and hat, lol it was so much fun! That is so exciting you have a 5 year old, I can't wait to have kids and share such a wonderful celebration with them!
The Following User Says Thank You to melindasue For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

crmjmdm has shown a merry dispositioncrmjmdm has shown a merry dispositioncrmjmdm has shown a merry disposition
My son is a teenager now but when he was little I used to make sugar cookies (the refrigerated roll out kind) and we would have a few friends over, give the kids the cookies along with frosting, sprinkles, little candies etc and let them go.....

We would do pizza takeout and the adults could socialize while the kids made treats to take home. The kids started looking forward to it every year and would ask their parents when I was going to have my cookie party. It was a huge hit.

Joanne
The Following User Says Thank You to crmjmdm For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

christmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elfchristmasgranny is a good elf
Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
READ TO HIM! If you already do this every night, my suggestion is to set December aside to read a different Christmas story to him every night... it's one thing to watch Rudolph or Frosty on TV and another entirely to read him the Little Golden book adaptations of these stories... and T'was The Night Before Christmas... and try making up your own Christmas stories together, using some of his favorite toys as lead characters and send them on adventures that you (and especially he) make up, with a new "chapter" every night...

I would also suggest reading him some Christmas comics, but everybody on this board knew that I would...

I had to go check you out, George......
Are your comics only sold online?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christmasgranny For This Useful Post:
George Broderick, Jr. (10-27-2008), snowflake22 (01-24-2014)
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,557 Times in 3,708 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by christmasgranny View Post
I had to go check you out, George......
Are your comics only sold online?
Lots of my comics are sold in Comic Book Shops across the USA, but the Christmas comics are only sold online... for the moment... the major (and only, actually) distributor for comics won't carry them... they don't feel there's enough of a market... obviously, they've never been here.

Plus, Jeff is posting some of my Christmas Comics here at MMC.

Thanks for asking.
snowflake22 (01-24-2014)