Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Today I Met A Holocaust Survivor

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree A Christmas Tree for Cats
By MMC Editor
10-11-2013 08:21 AM
19,911 Views  0 Posts
“Little Santa Claus”...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:24 AM
45,391 Views  0 Posts
Jimmy Scarecrow's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:57 PM
66,838 Views  0 Posts
History of the Candy Cane
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:13 PM
53,881 Views  0 Posts
Stan Freberg's Green...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:54 PM
0 Posts

Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Today I Met A Holocaust Survivor

Today and tomorrow the local college is holding an International Festival. Well I went today to hear a lady speak by the name of Mira Ryczke Kimmelman .She is 85 year's young.

Mira spoke of the 5 and a half year's of h**l that she went through .It started when she was 12 year's old . Of being in a cattle car in the heat and it being 120 degree's to surviving the bitter cold of 40 below zero. Having to barter everything the family owned in order to get food which mainly consisted of bread,some margarine and marmalade .Only living on 700 calories a day .Mira said that soap had to be bartered for as well and was hard to get so when it come to choosing on if you were clean or if you had food to eat ,you didn't care if you smelt bad.She told of how her family lived with her aunt in a tiny apartment that was VERY hard to heat and in order to keep warm ,they all set huddled in the tiny room burning the furniture in order to keep heat.When Mira and her mother were marching with other people being moved to another area,an S/S soldier spotted her and pulled her from the line . Mira figured that she would see her mother again at the train station ,it all happened so quickly that she never got the chance to embrace her mother or tell her goodbye.And it was the last time they ever saw each other.She also told of how they were dehumanized by having a tattooed number branded on their arm ,their head's shaved and given the stripped prison clothes to wear when she was sent to the concentration camp.If you wore glasses,was mentally ill, a child ,a woman with children or pregnant you were sent to the gas chamber.Out of 8 member's of the Ryczke family Mira and her farther were the only 2 to leave Auschwitz .She now lives in Oak Ridge ,TN .

Here is a photo of Mira and myself . I also purchased her book "Echoes From The Holocaust" (It can be purchased online.) and she signed the book for me ."To Terri,With Best Wishes ~Mira Kimmelman"

I hope this makes sense as I wrote what I could remember that she spoke of .
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ms_Speedy_Elf For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (10-06-2008), Christmas Snow Angel (10-08-2008), JanaBanana (10-06-2008), JOHNOR (10-06-2008), kerst (10-07-2008), MerryChristmasLydio (10-07-2008), Pam (10-19-2008), Snow is falling... (10-08-2008), snowberry (10-07-2008), Sunshine73 (11-03-2008), trackrebel (10-06-2008)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
This is so heartbreaking, I just can not imagine. She looks so happy in the picture.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
It's only through meeting these people and hearing their stories that keeps the holocaust alive for those of us that only learn about it in History class

It must NEVER be forgotten.

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
This is a generation of people who are slowing passing away. It is imperative to remember the suffering and struggles of these people, but IMHO, most importantly they didn't let evil stop them. Their determination to continue on is something that astounds me to this day.

I thank God for the example these people continue to be .

Terri, thank you for posting this.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Thanks for sharing this sad story. I give ths survivors a lot of credit to go around telling their stories.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,048 Times in 3,684 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Speedy, thank You for sharing this expierence.
Coming from the country all of that evil came from....I´m still ashamed about it....even tho I know...it´s not my fault or my mother´s...but I feel ashamed that my country´s politicians did something like that, and the citizens closed their eyes from it or even took part.

I grew up on the eldest jewish Cemetry in the whole of Europe...My parents moved to the little house that was attached to the cemetry for the housekeepers....my mom walked thru the cemetry in the morning and the evening to see everything is alright. She also sold information brochures and answered questions to visitors.

A lot of people are coming year in year out....from all different countries....USA, Belgium, Israel, Russia, Australia and on.....of course, many, many jewish people are visiting as well.....I have seen many old people with the terrible number tattoed on their arms....Only seeing this...broke my heart...without even knowing their personal story...I´m sure if I would have been there...I would have cried my eyes out......I´ve been thinking of driving to Poland and visit the Museum of Ausschwitz....I´m not sure, tho I could take it....because it shows the most evil side of humanity.....

I will try to get a hand of that book....sorry for writing about it...but this topic is very important to me...and I hope and pray that it will never be forgotten....I also speak a lot about it to other people...so they don´t forget it, too...

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (10-06-2008), JOHNOR (10-06-2008), Maureen (10-06-2008), Ms_Speedy_Elf (10-06-2008)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Thank you for that Tanja - you've got a legacy as well and it must be up to us to ensure that our children learn about the horror so that it never ever happens again
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
Track -
I am sure it is still a sensitive subject in Germany. However, it is in the past and I am willing to bet 80% of the poplulation wasn't even alive at the time. IMO, Germany has since become a force of good in the world.

I believe each country on this planet has something to be ashamed about. I know the U.S. does. Slavery is a scar on this country that runs deeper than just about any other.

I am from the South and know full well the evil and the atrocities that were perpetrated against the slaves. I have studied this time period extensively and am appalled. However, I am with you, I wasn't alive, I didn't take part and I certainly don't condone it. I do feel there is a responsiblity on my part and my generation's to never allow anything like this to happen again.

All we can do is to treat, not only those who suffered, but all people with dignity and respect. There is still evil out there, we just need to stand up and be strong like Mira Kimmelman.
HolidayHoney (10-06-2008), JOHNOR (10-06-2008), Ms_Speedy_Elf (10-06-2008), trackrebel (10-06-2008)
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Something else that Mira Kimmelman said is the reason she keeps reliving those horrible year's over and over and over is so that people know what truly happened and so their children can learn and hopefully it will never happen again.

She also said that this didn't make her faith in God waiver and that in fact it made her stronger .God didn't cause the holocaust .People did.

We can let thing's make us bitter or we can let it make us better. Just think of what Mira and all those others went though and ask yourself "How can I hate? " It is up to us to make a difference in this world .Hate is a mighty strong word. Especially when we "hate" someone just because we don't like the way they look .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms_Speedy_Elf For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (10-06-2008), HolidayHoney (10-06-2008)
Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,048 Times in 3,684 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Maureen and CharlestonNole, You are very right about that....and I think if the whole world would have the morals of the people on this board....we would be in a better place.

Forgetting is one dangerous thing...so no matter what....cruelties should never be forgotten...be it the Holocaust, Slavery, Apartheid and all these terrible crimes of humanity....what I hate is, that there are people up to today...who deny that the Holocaust actually took part....That is a slap in the face of humanity and eve moreso in the faces of the survivers of it.....It makes me so mad....I can´t even explain it.....

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Ms_Speedy_Elf (10-06-2008)