Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » I don't understand America...

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,745)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Art of Wassail
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:19 PM
43,898 Views  0 Posts
Snow or No Snow?
By MMC Editor
07-03-2011 08:18 AM
Last post by trackrebel
07-18-2013 04:46 PM
53,895 Views  4 Posts
Biblical Proof of Santa...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:14 PM
0 Posts
Gift 2 Catching Santa: Ain't...
By Elf Ed Zachary
11-26-2013 03:03 AM
4,299 Views  0 Posts
Bells The Magi
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:56 PM
Last post by MartinGibbs
12-07-2012 03:01 PM
70,089 Views  1 Posts

Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

scottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elf
I have to debunk this myth/though about New York that so many non US residents have.
#1 New York is a state (just like Florida, Texas, California etc)
#2 New York is not made up of 5 burroughs. See #1
#3 New York state contains cities
#4 there are many cities in New York State. One of the major ones is New York City
#5 New York City is NOT the capitol of New York (it's Albany), but NYC does have burroughs (which are just "areas" of the city, sort of like south side, west side, east side etc)
#6 The rest of New York is not like New York City. Most of New York is more country-ish with plenty of trees, mountains, lakes and farm land
#7 the middle to northern parts of New York state get more snow than the rest of the state. NYC gets hardly any snow due to the Atlantic, whereas Buffalo get snow created by the lakes we're sandwiched between.

NYC is a beautiful place, as are the cities on Long Island. The rest of NY state is beautiful too. We have Lake Placid, plenty of rivers, Niagara Falls, apple orchards (where we grow Empire and Cortland apples) and so much more.

Many states are like that. One end of the state can be more northern and get colder weather, whereas the more southern part gets warmer temps and better weather. NYC is flat with skyscrapers. The rest of the state isn't really like that.

Oh and the biggest misconception?? The rest of New York state residents are not rude and obnoxious like most people believe the residents of NYC are (okay, well some are but you get my drift).

Maureen, I bet all of Scotland is gorgeous!

Annie
The Following User Says Thank You to scottish*mama*claus For This Useful Post:
JOHNOR (10-24-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,085 Times in 711 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
thanks scottish mamma clause, i am really interested in new york!

so, new york city is basically manhattan, queens, brooklyn, staten island and the bronx, is this correct?

new york state contains long island, buffalo etc... is this correct?

can you tell me a little more about long island, is it a pretty place? good education system etc?

is new jersey part of new york state?

Despite my username, I am female!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by JOHNOR View Post
is new jersey part of new york state?
New Jersey (NJ) is a different state to New York (NY). The state capital is Trenton. NJ does border NY as well as Pennsylvania and Delaware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey

I've heard the weather in Seattle and Washington State described as the most 'British' (i.e. umbrellas are a good idea!).

Although I'm a Brit, my US geography is kind of better than my UK! (Big US sports fan...)
The Following User Says Thank You to whychristmas For This Useful Post:
JOHNOR (10-24-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
Lake Tahoe....between California and Nevada is big skiing resort tho....and I think Northern California looks nothing like the California us foreigners think it is
I grew up in Northern California and it is a very special place. To the west is the magnificent California coastline with the famous Redwood forests, lush wine country,and rolling hills of green and gold. The grand San Jouquin Valley, home of the state capitol city of Sacramento, divides the rolling coastal hills from the towering Sierra Nevada range of mountains where Lake Tahoe is.

The climate is very temperate in this part of California for the most part year round. Mark Twain once said the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. And that's true -- the marine layer rolls in each summer even dropping temps to the 50s in "The City", as folks say there. But during those same months, merely 70 miles away Sacramento can be suffering from 100+ degree temps. Winter however is mild along the coast and in "The City", and fog permeates the valley. The mountains however are subject to prodigious snowfall -- 7 feet at a time in some of the biggest storms of the year.

California is home to Hollywood, Disneyland, etc. But the real California is found in the north.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by scottish*mama*claus View Post
I have to debunk this myth/though about New York that so many non US residents have.
#1 New York is a state (just like Florida, Texas, California etc)
#2 New York is not made up of 5 burroughs. See #1
#3 New York state contains cities
#4 there are many cities in New York State. One of the major ones is New York City
#5 New York City is NOT the capitol of New York (it's Albany), but NYC does have burroughs (which are just "areas" of the city, sort of like south side, west side, east side etc)
#6 The rest of New York is not like New York City. Most of New York is more country-ish with plenty of trees, mountains, lakes and farm land
#7 the middle to northern parts of New York state get more snow than the rest of the state. NYC gets hardly any snow due to the Atlantic, whereas Buffalo get snow created by the lakes we're sandwiched between.

NYC is a beautiful place, as are the cities on Long Island. The rest of NY state is beautiful too. We have Lake Placid, plenty of rivers, Niagara Falls, apple orchards (where we grow Empire and Cortland apples) and so much more.

Many states are like that. One end of the state can be more northern and get colder weather, whereas the more southern part gets warmer temps and better weather. NYC is flat with skyscrapers. The rest of the state isn't really like that.

Oh and the biggest misconception?? The rest of New York state residents are not rude and obnoxious like most people believe the residents of NYC are (okay, well some are but you get my drift).

Annie
Reading this reminded me what I went through in Puerto Rico years ago when I served as a missionary there. The people there were so warm and nice but they had no clue about US geography. They would ask "Where are you from?" and I would say "California" and they, almost without exception would say "I know where that is, right next to Nueva York".

We had guys with us from all over the country -- Texas, Utah, Idaho, Florida, Kentucky, etc -- it didn't matter...they were all next to Nueva York.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by scottish*mama*claus View Post

Annie
It is - and very green - due to all the rain!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Reading this reminded me what I went through in Puerto Rico years ago when I served as a missionary there. The people there were so warm and nice but they had no clue about US geography. They would ask "Where are you from?" and I would say "California" and they, almost without exception would say "I know where that is, right next to Nueva York".

We had guys with us from all over the country -- Texas, Utah, Idaho, Florida, Kentucky, etc -- it didn't matter...they were all next to Nueva York.

LOL! Thats funny!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Nathan8906 has shown a merry dispositionNathan8906 has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
But the real California is found in the north.
Hey! I live in Southern California, and I can attest that it is just as real as any other part of the state. I'm looking out my window at it right now
Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,085 Times in 711 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Nathan8906 View Post
Hey! I live in Southern California, and I can attest that it is just as real as any other part of the state. I'm looking out my window at it right now
oh no, do you live in orange county with all those spoilt brat kids and mega rich housewives?

lol, just kidding! it looks very beautiful from what i've seen of orange county.

Despite my username, I am female!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
Cold winters in Montana....Just right in Arizona
Montana just right in the summer.. Arizona to darn hot in the summer
We usually get lots of snow, lots of wind in the winter and temps well into the minuses. =(