Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » When Do You Put Up The Christmas Tree?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
As I grew up we would always start Thanksgiving night or the day after. But now I start the Friday before Thanksgiving. Right after work I get the tree out. It takes me about 3 hours to get the tree up and to get the lights and garland and crystal beads on. Part of putting the lights on is doing what I call color and light managment. I like to have all the different colors evenly disbursed so you don't have like 3 reds bunched right up here and 4 blues there. You also don't want to have too many lights here and dark areas there. Also the cords can no be visible. After this I work into the night putting up my best ornaments in the choicest places on the tree. For example, all of my Forsty Friends have to go by the lights to be properly accentuated. This must be done at night so the daylight doesn't interfere with where I may best want my lights.
I then put the second string ornaments on to fill it out. This is my B team and it gets less every year as I acquire more and more first stringers. I work all Saturday afternoon adding candycanes, pine cones and cyrstyal icecycles to bring out more sparkle. The final touch is adding 4-5 packs of tinsel. For this the lights must be off. I totally cover the tree in tinsel carfefully disbursing it evenly over the entire tree. It makes a 100% difference in the tree to add tinsel. And the effect when I turn the lights back on is astounding.
This all takes me about 15 hours.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,637 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
I am planning on starting with house decorations from around Nov 25th or maybe a few days before. We get a real tree so aiming for the weekend after that, Dec 01st or sometime the first week in Dec.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

CuddleBug88 has shown a merry disposition
18 16x16

Growing up my mom always took out our decorations and our tree (fake) to put out the day after Thanksgiving. That whole weekend we would decorate, listen to Christmas music, watch movies, etc. Since I've been out on my own the last couple years I have upheld that tradition of waiting until the weekend after Thanksgiving. Although, I was given the "okay" from the boyfriend to put up our tree whenever I felt like it now.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by sublimesting View Post
As I grew up we would always start Thanksgiving night or the day after. But now I start the Friday before Thanksgiving. Right after work I get the tree out. It takes me about 3 hours to get the tree up and to get the lights and garland and crystal beads on. Part of putting the lights on is doing what I call color and light managment. I like to have all the different colors evenly disbursed so you don't have like 3 reds bunched right up here and 4 blues there. You also don't want to have too many lights here and dark areas there. Also the cords can no be visible. After this I work into the night putting up my best ornaments in the choicest places on the tree. For example, all of my Forsty Friends have to go by the lights to be properly accentuated. This must be done at night so the daylight doesn't interfere with where I may best want my lights.
I then put the second string ornaments on to fill it out. This is my B team and it gets less every year as I acquire more and more first stringers. I work all Saturday afternoon adding candycanes, pine cones and cyrstyal icecycles to bring out more sparkle. The final touch is adding 4-5 packs of tinsel. For this the lights must be off. I totally cover the tree in tinsel carfefully disbursing it evenly over the entire tree. It makes a 100% difference in the tree to add tinsel. And the effect when I turn the lights back on is astounding.
This all takes me about 15 hours.
your tree sounds awesome I hope you plan to post pics.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
Christmas Tree

My first tree will go up on Thanksgiving Night.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 688 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
One holiday at a time around here, so the tree will be going up the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The weekend after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Hi kristy86! We got all our christmas decor out right now & about to start. Woooohooooo!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by merrymistletoe View Post
Hi kristy86! We got all our christmas decor out right now & about to start. Woooohooooo!
Jealous
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
Jealous
yeah, the only thing is i have as much Christmas as i do every day stuff. it takes me the entire month of November to get it all out & where i want it.