Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-18-2011 01:41 AM
64,345 Views  0 Posts
Who Put the X in...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2011 03:36 PM
43,700 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Things Never to...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 03:54 PM
46,162 Views  0 Posts
The Battle Over Jingle...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:59 PM
49,730 Views  0 Posts
Is it Donner or Donder?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:53 PM
48,614 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

snowberry has disabled reputation
holly Vcr

Most of my Christmas movies are on vhs and my vcr broke a couple of years ago. I've had to watch movies on tape in my son's bedroom. I noticed Walmart has the vcr/dvd combos back, so I guess I'll get one so I can watch my movies when I want to.

snowberry (who thanks Jesus for the excitement in my house)
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I personally really like the combos. That's what I have in my room. I also have many VHS movies as well as DVDs. I think you will be pleased with your purchase.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
WE have both a vcr and dvd in our livingroom and familyroom. Our bedroom just has a vcr. I've never owned a combo, but i think they're great since most people probably have vcr tapes that they still like to watch.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

misjordi has shown a merry dispositionmisjordi has shown a merry dispositionmisjordi has shown a merry dispositionmisjordi has shown a merry disposition
I hate the combos. Have 2 of them and they ALWAYS eat my tapes! I have even taken them back and the next ones eat them too! Must be hungry!!! But I hate dvd's I love vcr tapes! I know sooooo 80's, my daughter would tell me!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,240 Times in 12,639 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star to bad you don't live close to me

I could give you one for free! (VCR that is , not a combo) The lady I have looked after for over 3 years has gone to a nursing home and I have to help get rid of some things and one of these things is a vcr.
I too will be getting the combo next time I buy one, much handier!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
We

We have plenty of each and all are good to go.
I am a media nut so at one point we had a VCR and ad DVD player in almost every room.
Now i am moving in the Combo units...
Like em a lot!
So now i have 3 DVD Players, 4 VCRs, 1 Combo Unit and 6 more DVD players if you count the 6 computers we have as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by misjordi View Post
But I hate dvd's I love vcr tapes! I know sooooo 80's, my daughter would tell me!!!
Why do you prefer a VHS tape to a DVD? The DVD is smaller, has much higher horizontal image resolution (at least 485 vertical lines on DVD, vs. 210 vertical lines on VHS), has CD quality sound, it can carry extras like commentary tracks and subtitles, and you can jump instantly from one part of the DVD to another.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Santas Little Helper
Last Achievements

Lorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry dispositionLorn--xx has shown a merry disposition
We have a DVD player and VCR in the living (family) room! But i only have a DVD in my room, i watch mostly DVDs but we do have a Christmas Carol which is a video and every year we watch it about a month from xmas and on xmas eve all the family, it was recorded from TV and we love it, because they have adverts which are all the xmas ones and at the beginning you catch a bit of a Christmas Coronation Street just another one of the lovely things we do over the xmas x
Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,156 Times in 714 Posts
kelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happykelly ann makes Santa very happy
I have a DVD and VCR. I do prefer DVD'S now as there is not much you can't get on DVD's these days....except for 'Babes in Toyland'' featuring Keanu Reeves? I cant find it anywhere.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Its

Originally Posted by Wenceslaus View Post
Why do you prefer a VHS tape to a DVD? The DVD is smaller, has much higher horizontal image resolution (at least 485 vertical lines on DVD, vs. 210 vertical lines on VHS), has CD quality sound, it can carry extras like commentary tracks and subtitles, and you can jump instantly from one part of the DVD to another.
Its a throw back and growing up with kinda thing. Kinda like watching a movie that was mad in Black and White - get turned into color. Yeah the color is neat and makes it sparkle - but it takes away from the original design and your original experience.

Don't get me wrong - i love my DVDs - but i also enjoy pulling out that VHS (that back in the 80s cost 80 - 100 to buy), and then hearing the clanky sound it makes and the wosh as it loads in the VCR. Hearing it rewind means you have just enough time to grab a coke and some popcorn....
Just an experience thing i guess....
=)