Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Good Morning America - Big Day For You Today !!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,835
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

scottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elf
I voted before work this morning. Unfortunately, my vote doesn't count for the presidential election

At least it counts in my local elections!
Annie
The Following User Says Thank You to scottish*mama*claus For This Useful Post:
kerst (11-04-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

lmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoelmm8606 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by scottish*mama*claus View Post
I voted before work this morning. Unfortunately, my vote doesn't count for the presidential election

At least it counts in my local elections!
Annie
I don't want to sound nosey, but why wouldn't your presidential vote count?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,468 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'm hazzarding a guess that Annie isn't American...........??
Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Santa Clausologist

officepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elf
I did early voting last week! I didn't feel like standing in line for hours today. We will know tonight who the winner is!! Some predict a landslide.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Never voted this early on election day and never saw lines so long. We are expecting snow tonight, so that is a contributing factor. Still, it felt good to see so many people anxious to vote. THAT gives me far more hope than ANY one candidate.

Unlike many here, I don't believe we have a good choice for President this time around. I am not pessimistic by nature and I believe our system, designed by inspired and incredibly just men, will eventually help us overcome the issues that divide us. The great turn out today -- more important, in my eyes, for the non-presidential questions -- should represent the will of the people who have characteristically shown over generations to get it right more than they get it wrong.

No matter what happens, we will survive -- and possibly get stronger if we stay true to the Constitution and the balances of power put into our system by design.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
kerst (11-04-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM

scottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elfscottish*mama*claus is a good elf
My vote doesnt' count because I live in New York State. My state automatically goes to Obama because of the electoral college. Remember, a president doesn't win based on popular vote. He wins based on the electoral college vote!
I voted for McCain, but the electoral college in New York is voting for Obama.

Annie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottish*mama*claus For This Useful Post:
JanaBanana (11-04-2008), lmm8606 (11-04-2008)
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Christmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elfChristmas Snow Angel is a good elf
I just got home from voting...only took about 30 minutes to get thru the line. I just hope and pray we pick the right one...wouldn't that be something if one wins the popular vote but the other wins the electoral vote???? Talking about some history happening today that would top it all!!!! I'm so glad my girls were able to go with me and watch the voting process, and to be part of this historical day.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,468 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
What's an electoral college???
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
What's an electoral college???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elector...(United_States)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM

here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Electoral_College

But in a nutshell they are officials in each state (each state gets a certain amount, my state has 33 people who are the electoral college voters), who choose what presidential candidate to vote for. It's an all or nothing system. Whomever those voters choose "win" the state regardless of which candidate received the most votes. The system was put into place to ensure informed voters chose the right candidate and represented their constituents.
You wouldn't want an uninformed person casting their vote for some random candidate (supposedly), so representatives are assigned to represent the voters and choose the candidate based on an informed and repsonsible position.
New York has always been considered a democratic state. That's why you have "swing' states. Those are states in which there's no clear cut way to know which candidate the electoral college will vote for. That's why the candidates spend so much time in those swing states, trying to persuade people to vote for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottish*mama*claus For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (11-04-2008), Maureen (11-04-2008)
Closed Thread