Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » I'm Burning Mad

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,088
Threads: 53,926
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,660)
Welcome to our newest member, MGunderso

Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
santahat

Originally Posted by Santa's Helper View Post
I say do what we do at our company, host your own during lunch! We have everyone who wants to have a party sign up and write what they are going to bring. Then since almost all of the employees are going to be doing this the bosses pitched in and donated money from their own pockets for stuff like fried chicken or they made stuff for the party as well. After all of this planning word spread and the upper managers decided to give everyone an extended lunch period so that we could have more time for our party. It gets better each year and it really doesn't cost the company anything because the employees are paying for it themselves. We do this in addition to the big Christmas party that the company throws each year. It's just that most of the people who want the pot luck party don't go to the other party. Try it, it's fun!
I agree with Santa's helper. But you could put together little things for next year by starting in Jan. And have everyone help assist to make sure that this doesn't happen next year.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
That's a real bummer. I agree with the others. Maybe consider getting together with your co-workers and have your own Christmas Party. It doesn't have to be all fancy and expensive. Just a nice time to get together and visit with each other.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Unfortunately Christmas parties are becoming victim to the downturn in the economy. I second what others have said about planning something yourself with your co-workers. A potluck at lunch even would be nice.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Originally Posted by Santa's Helper View Post
I say do what we do at our company, host your own during lunch! We have everyone who wants to have a party sign up and write what they are going to bring. Then since almost all of the employees are going to be doing this the bosses pitched in and donated money from their own pockets for stuff like fried chicken or they made stuff for the party as well. After all of this planning word spread and the upper managers decided to give everyone an extended lunch period so that we could have more time for our party. It gets better each year and it really doesn't cost the company anything because the employees are paying for it themselves. We do this in addition to the big Christmas party that the company throws each year. It's just that most of the people who want the pot luck party don't go to the other party. Try it, it's fun!
You know something else we do at work is door prizes. Nothing big just poinsettias on the tables for decorations and then we draw names of the people who participated and give them to them. Our company got so into it that they now provide us with the poinsettias for our tables. They also allow the maintenance workers to set up the room (they put the wall divider up in the lunchroom so it's private) and they run electric cords and drop them from the ceiling so that there is ample plugs for people's crock pots and what not. I know your company ditched your Christmas party and it's a bummer but, you can still have one you'll just have to plan it for yourselves. Our company is still planning the big Christmas party this year and it's usually a pretty big deal, people get really dressed up and it's at a nice place in the city. It's just not for everybody (some people think it's too formal for them) so we do our own and the company is ok with that. One thing they cut from us is our Christmas bonus. We used to get one and they stopped that one about 7 years ago but, hey we still get a Thanksgiving turkey. Be creative and I'm sure everyone will have a nice time! Maybe you'll have a better time than you did at the company provided one, you never know!!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following User Says Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
irishgirl (11-09-2008)
Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

irishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elfirishgirl is a good elf
That stinks!!

You must be so bummed. It is hard when it something you have every year and it is something you look forward to. I sound like a broken record but maybe you can have something at work at lunch. This will show your company that it is the spirit of the event not the event itself that means so much!! I wish you the best of luck and Merry Christmas!!

PS.. keep us posted!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to irishgirl For This Useful Post:
Santa's Helper (11-09-2008)
Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Silverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elfSilverbells is a good elf
Need Ideas

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. Some of my coworkers and I spoke over the weekend. We are going to have a holiday party but, we're just going to do things ourselves. Each of us are going to bring in a dish plus, we've all been assigned little jobs. Sense everyone knows I love the holidays I've been put in charge of entertainment. This is where I'm going to need you guys help. What should I come up w/ for everyone to do? HELP!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
I'm really sorry to hear your party has been cancelled

That said, I'm really impressed that you had, up until now, a company that paid for your Christmas party. I've always worked places where we had to pay for it ourselves. Last year I was invited back to an old job to go on their Christmas day out (theater and dinner) but that's only something they've started since I left!!!

Our Christmas do this year is costing me nearly $80, not including drink (alcoholic or not) and how to get there, 16 miles away.

I think the potluck idea is good, if you have enough room

That's crazy !!! Hope you get your money's worth !
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Silverbells View Post
Thanks for the suggestions you guys. Some of my coworkers and I spoke over the weekend. We are going to have a holiday party but, we're just going to do things ourselves. Each of us are going to bring in a dish plus, we've all been assigned little jobs. Sense everyone knows I love the holidays I've been put in charge of entertainment. This is where I'm going to need you guys help. What should I come up w/ for everyone to do? HELP!
would start with organizing the gift exchange. You can put everybody's name in a hat and let people pick out one name and determine a budget.

Start putting together the music. If you don't have enough CDs you can always put on our Christmas radio.

Other than that it dependds on what you're used to. Do people want games or just eating and conversation or a dance ??
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,331 Times in 3,783 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
That is a bummer! I am actually hosting our company Christmas party at our house this year. Normally my boss rents a bus (& driver) and we go out to eat & then hit a few bars & he pays all night long! But this year money is going to be tight, so he was talking about having the party here at the shop, which nobody enjoys. We spend all week here, we don't want to be here on our weekends, so I offered to have it at our house & both bosses thought it was great! (I was really hoping one of them would say "we can have it at our house" but nooooo....lol) So we are either having the meal catered or we are going to make steaks/pork chops/chicken on the grill. We have darts & air hockey in our basement as well as a bar. I am going to borrow a Wii from friends of ours, so hopefully there will be plenty to do. The company is paying for all the food, drinks, plates, napkins, etc…we’re just furnishing the place! There will only be 14 people, so it shouldn't be too much hassle!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Ladybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry dispositionLadybugkisses has shown a merry disposition
I'm sorry to hear that. I work for the University of Maryland, so our department has a party each and every year; it's worked into our budget. We even order small partying gifts for every individual that attends. Last year the gift was a stering silver wine bottle stopper with a snowflake on top. I'm not sure what it will be this year, alas we've yet to order them yet. I know whatever it will be it needs to be done fast because unlike in previous years our party will be earlier in the month of December as opposed to later in the month of December; Dec. 10th if I'm not mistaken, which is smack dab in the middle of the week. Who wants a party in the middle of the week? But since our chair flies off to Austraila to visit her parents every Christmas and she didn't know exactly when she'd be flying out this year we needed to get on a caterer's calendar so my supervisor picked the 10th. YUCK! Well, I guess some kind of party is better than no party at all.

T.