Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > TV » Lighting the tree in Rockefeller Center

TV For any child of the 1960s (and later) Christmas just wouldn't be the same without television. Talk Christmas on the tube here, brought to us and constantly updated by the most comprehensive Christmas television resource online, MerryChristmasTV.net.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,657)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
My Christmas of 1947
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:58 PM
45,071 Views  0 Posts
stocking Thanksgiving Activities...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:52 PM
62,972 Views  0 Posts
Why the Big Guy is a Big...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:10 PM
0 Posts
Christmas in the 1930s
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:02 PM
63,347 Views  0 Posts
It's the Gift, Not the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:38 PM
36,302 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

mac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elf
Line-up announced for NBC Special:

The original pop star, Tony Bennett, will be showing Justin Bieber how it's done when they both perform at NBC's annual live Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, 'Christmas in Rockefeller Center' later this month.

The roster of big name performers announced by the network spans not only generations, but also genres, with singers Michael Bublé, Cee Lo Green, Faith Hill, Carole King, Katharine McPhee and 'The Voice' winner Javier Colon performing a mix of current hits and holiday classics.

NBC announced that the hour-long special on November 30 will be hosted by the 'Today Show's Al Roker and Savannah Guthrie and will -- natch -- also feature seasonal high-kickers, The Radio City Rockettes. Prior to the primetime telecast, WNBC and other NBC affiliates (check your local listings) will also air an additional live hour of the special.

This first hour will feature performances by all the show's stars and also a special performance by Megan Hilty, star of the upcoming NBC musical drama 'Smash.'

The Rock Center Christmas tree has been an annual staple of the festive season since the complex was opened in midtown Manhattan in 1933, and NBC has televised the tree-lighting ceremony every year since 1951, when it made its debut on 'The Kate Smith Show.' This year's tree, which will remain lit until New Year's Day, is a Norway Spruce measuring 74 feet high and 46 feet in diameter, and weighing-in at 10 tons.

cheers!!

ML
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM

mac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elf
Rockerfeller Tree Lighting 2012

The 80th Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be lit by the 30,000 energy efficient LED lights On Wednesday, November 28th, 2012. The Tree will remain lit and can be viewed until 11pm on January 7th, 2013.

Can't believe that time of the year will be here before we know it!!

Cheers!!

ML
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

christmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elf
thank...ive been wanting to go see it the past few years since i only live like an hour away but its always to cold.since its earlier then they normally do it i might go this year.
Holiday (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,258 Times in 3,104 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by mac55 View Post
Rockerfeller Tree Lighting 2012

The 80th Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be lit by the 30,000 energy efficient LED lights On Wednesday, November 28th, 2012. The Tree will remain lit and can be viewed until 11pm on January 7th, 2013.

Can't believe that time of the year will be here before we know it!!

Cheers!!

ML

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
It should be a beautiful tv special to see. Tomorrow is the first day of Autumn, and now the days are going to fly by. We'll be putting up our Christmas decorations before we know it. Today, I put my fall decorations out . It all looks so festive.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 AM

NBC shows that there will be another Michael Buble Xmas special this year.

Not sure if it will just be a replay of last year's or something new but they are announcing something is coming this holiday season.

Cheers!!

ML
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
November 28th - is that the earliest it's ever aired? Looking forward to it!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Classic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elf
Originally Posted by KWasser View Post
November 28th - is that the earliest it's ever aired? Looking forward to it!
Not sure, but I believe it's been on at least this early before. With the 22nd being the absolute earliest U.S. Thanksgiving can fall on in any given year*, we will get almost an extra full week of Christmas programming this season.

The last few years Rudolph has been on the day after Thanksgiving, so it may be scheduled for Nov 23 this year!

* for our non-American friends, U.S. Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday in November, so whenever November 1st lands on a Thursday, which it does this year, it will be a year in which Thanksgiving is at its earliest.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
Yeah, that last week of November is always crammed full of Christmas programming...I'd rather they save some of them for mid-December, not because it's too early for Christmas specials (it's NEVER too early!) but because it seems like we get to Mid-December and they're not airing any classic Christmas cartoons anymore (they've already aired all the classics in late November)...not sure why that is, maybe I'm just overlooking them.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I used to look at the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree TV Special as the start of Christmas programming on TV...nowadays, it seems like it's just one program in a week of Christmas specials (the airing of Rudolf included).
The Following User Says Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
frostyman (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 AM

CBS has always aired Rudolph around Dec 1st - but I noticed that if one station has a holiday program on, the others match on the same date, which is annoying really. You can't watch two things at the same time without having to DVR one and most replay later on in Dec anyways.

Cheers!!

ML

Originally Posted by KWasser View Post
Yeah, that last week of November is always crammed full of Christmas programming...I'd rather they save some of them for mid-December, not because it's too early for Christmas specials (it's NEVER too early!) but because it seems like we get to Mid-December and they're not airing any classic Christmas cartoons anymore (they've already aired all the classics in late November)...not sure why that is, maybe I'm just overlooking them.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, I used to look at the lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree TV Special as the start of Christmas programming on TV...nowadays, it seems like it's just one program in a week of Christmas specials (the airing of Rudolf included).