Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Recipes » Old Fashioned Chocolate Meringue Pie

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Rob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elfRob is a good elf
Old Fashioned Chocolate Meringue Pie

This is the one I always make but put whipped cream on top instead of meringue:
OLD-FASHIONED CHOCOLATE MERINGUE PIE
1 1/4 cups + 6 TBL sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups milk
3 eggs, separated
3 TBL butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 baked 9" pastry shell
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar into the cocoa powder, cornstarch & salt in a heavy saucepan. Whisk to remove any lumps. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens & comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute, remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks until thick & lemon colored. Stir 1/4 of the hot mixture into the yolks; add the yolks to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat & stir in the butter & vanilla. Pour into the pastry shell.
Preheat oven to 400. Combine the egg whites & cream of tartar. Beat until foamy. Gradually add the remaining 6 TBL sugar, 1 TBL at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over the filling, sealing to the edge of the pastry. Bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before serving

My Christmas Friend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:
ChristmasFanatic56 (10-12-2009), Christmas_Angel (10-11-2009)
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Pie is my favorite!
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Christmas_Angel has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
This is the one I always make but put whipped cream on top instead of meringue....
My Gramms used to make one like this. I have been looking for a similar recipe, Rob.
Thanks for sharing! C.A.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,060 Times in 28,844 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds Yummy!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

ChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry disposition
Already printed this one out! thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
Sounds just like Grama's....Yummy....Thanks Rob....