Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » Seymour Hicks as Scrooge--try it, you'll like it

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,132
Threads: 54,248
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, elf princess

Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,209 Times in 6,090 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Seymour Hicks as Scrooge--try it, you'll like it

It seems as though the 1935 British Seymour Hicks version of "Scrooge" may unjustly be the least popular film version of "A Christmas Carol." Most viewers are more familiar with the newer, flossier versions: the 1938 M-G-M version, the classic 1950 Alastair Sim version, the 1984 George C. Scott version. But try old Sir Seymour sometime.

Try to find a video of the complete 78-minute version---not the abridged version usually available, which is a good 20 minutes shorter. If you can't find one, try the shorter version anyway. The film is very faithful to the mood and tone of Dickens' text, and Sir Seymour puts his heart into his performance. By the time he made this film, he had played Scrooge for decades on stage and once before in films, in a 1913 silent film. He may look different from other Scrooges you've seen, but his voice is perfect. Donald Calthrop, who plays Crachit, looks eerily like John Leech's illustration of him in the first edition of "A Christmas Carol." In the uncut version, he has a very touching scene in which he sits for a few moments with the body of Tiny Tim.

Although Sir Seymour is a perfectly gruff and grouchy Scrooge, you can catch him occasionally doing a "take" that may remind you of W.C. Fields---and why not? Fields was a fan of Dickens' books, and probably saw Sir Seymour play Scrooge on stage while Fields was touring in vaudeville as a juggler. I like to think Fields pays tribute to Sir Seymour when he does one of HIS "takes" in a film.

Long story short---if you're a fan of "A Christmas Carol," try Sir Seymour Hicks. He may not become your favorite Scrooge, but once you've watched his performance, you'll find a spot for him in your Christmas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
pkcrafty (12-04-2008), Trevor (12-06-2008), Wenceslaus (12-12-2008)

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
I have watched this and I agree, he was a great Scrooge.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree

One of my favs!
I love em both!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Trevor has shown a merry disposition
I have perhaps 7 different DVDs with some version of Scrooge, it's a film that tends to be included in a lot of sets or even CD collections. I'm not even sure which versions I own, but hopefully among them I have them all. Perhaps I'll check them out this weekend.