Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > TV » Anybody have Direct TV?

TV For any child of the 1960s (and later) Christmas just wouldn't be the same without television. Talk Christmas on the tube here, brought to us and constantly updated by the most comprehensive Christmas television resource online, MerryChristmasTV.net.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,464
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Gift 2 The Bog Ruby...
By Meceka
08-20-2011 10:33 AM
Last post by ibelieveinchristmas
10-11-2011 10:05 AM
1 Posts
Christmas at the White...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:28 PM
60,246 Views  0 Posts
Fred Claus (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:47 PM
53,508 Views  0 Posts
santahat Santa Speaks 2012
By MMC Editor
10-09-2012 10:26 AM
Last post by lanoraloveselfs
11-26-2012 02:54 PM
93,308 Views  1 Posts
How does Santa get down...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:56 PM
63,162 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Anybody have Direct TV?

I was wondering if anyone has Direct TV? If so, how do you like it compared to cable? I have Comcast right now and they are getting ridiculous with their rates and I was thinking about switching to Direct TV. The price looks ok but, was wondering about their DVR's and all of that. I have 2 Tivo's right now but, thought that maybe the DVR's that they provide would be better and cost less. What do you think, anybody? Thanks!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
We have Charter cable and I'm starting to really wish that we had a dish instead. In the new year they plan to raise the rates again from anywhere between $8- $12 more.

We have HBO as part of our package ,but decided that we wanted to drop it and just have basic cable . Well they informed us that we couldn't do that as we signed the deal for the extended package and that if we went to just basic that they would still have to charge us for the extended package .Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

They are also a internet and phone provider .

I don't watch a lot of tv ,my son watches some ,as he works night's and sleeps through the day ,so basically my b/f watches the most tv when he gets home from work and even he says that there is never anything on anymore. The only time I really watch tv is for NASCAR .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Yeah, Comcast is supposed to raise their rates again this coming year as well. I have HBO but, only because it was half price at $8. Now that deal is over and it's $17.95! I'm going to be dropping that but, not until after Christmas, I want to be able to watch the Christmas movies that come on HBO from time to time! I think we'll be switching but, I have to look into it more. Thanks though.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Santa Clausologist

officepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elfofficepro4u is a good elf
I have had DirecTV almost since it came out. I LOVE IT!!! The only drawback is that when the weather is REALLY BAD, you sometimes lose a signal. NOT good when watching a football game or something like that. But all in all, I am very pleased!!
Santa's Helper (12-10-2008)
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

BritneyBug is a good elfBritneyBug is a good elfBritneyBug is a good elfBritneyBug is a good elfBritneyBug is a good elfBritneyBug is a good elf
We have had Direct TV and Time Warner Cable and I much prefer Direct Tv. I'm almost positive it's much cheaper, and the signal only goes out when the weather is really really bad. (almost never)
The Following User Says Thank You to BritneyBug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,891 Times in 2,409 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
We switched to DirectTV more than a year ago, Thanksgiving 2007 from Comcast. We noticed right away the big difference for the better. For less money we get more channels, even if we pop the extra $10 a month for HD channels (WORTH IT). The DVR is a gift from God, the greatest invention of all time bar none.

We kept Comcast for Internet only. But for TV, give me my Direct TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
I had the whole package from direct tv and it was junk,the phone always had problems,the wind blew the wrong way and the internet was out. Just for tv would be ok,not the package.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I've also got Direct TV. I really like it! I agree at times (rarely here but now and again) you can lose a signal but it doesn't or hasn't for me lasted very long. I think once we got so much snow I lost the signal went outside with a broom to sweep the satellite off and I was good to go. Now and again they also give you free movie channels for awhile. Only down fall I would have to say is they don't have local stations for me. So if I want to know what is happening in Montana I look it up on the net. As for the weather report Direct does offer a interactive channel that I can check any state and local for my area to see a 5 day forcast. You just click your zipcode in with the remote and your good to go. You can also check lottery numbers, horoscope etc. I have gotten excellent service via telephone as well if any problem has happend. For example I order UFC once and planned to record it on my DVR (which I love!) and it didn't record for some odd reason so they didn't charge me the 40-50 bucks it would have normally costed.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I am leaning towards Direct tv. I will miss my Tivo's but, if I get the DVR's from Direct then I think I should be ok. I've had Tivo for years so I'm used to those, it will take a little while to get used to something different. I have a question though about HD. If your tv isn't a HD tv can you get HD channels by getting a HD box? There seemed to be some confusion on the phone about this when I talked to them today. I am with Verizon so I will keep my phone and internet with them and I am also going to go through Verizon to get the Direct tv since I will get a discount on my phone package by doing that. It's just so much to look at with the packages and the channels, the receivers and dvr's. I hate having to read too much stuff and if I get lost just a little bit then forget it. It will be nice though to be able to get more than just basic channels on my other tv's. With Direct I'll have a receiver in each room so that will be good and they carry the Boomerang network which shows all the good cartoons! Cartoon Network only shows crappy stuff anymore. I'm just hoping that they can mount the dish in my back yard on a pole or something because I don't want it on the house! I hate that. We'll see, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!