Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » "Polar Express" 3D

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,843
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 12-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
"Polar Express" 3D

As many of you know my favorite Christmas movie is "Polar Express" ,well my son gave me "Polar Express"3D for Christmas.It comes with 4 pair's of 3D glasses and we watched it last night or at least tried to. Every now and then we could see some of the 3D effect's ,but not as much as I had expected .What really bugged me was the character's all seemed to have a "ghost" effect around them .

Would the size of a tv screen have anything to do with it?My son said this tv is 20 inches.

I don't really recall ever watching a 3D movie before.

Does anyone else have this version and if so what are your opinion's ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Christmas Royalty

sugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnog
I haven't heard of the 3D version. I have one 3D optional movie (Santa vs. The Snowman) but we don't watch it in 3D mode. No one liked it. We saw it at IMAX in 3D and loved it, but the DVD version isn't good. Maybe it's the glasses or something. Luckily we can still watch it as a regular movie. I'm not sure if the size of the TV would have anything to do with it. Maybe DVDguy can help. He knows a lot about that kind of thing. He is an expert. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

Last Achievements

Chido has shown a merry disposition
I actually got to see the "4-D" version (whatever that is!) on a huge screen at a theme park (Dollywood) in Tennessee. It was amazing.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Christmas Royalty

sugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnog
I bet that was amazing. I would love to see it in 3D or 4D one day.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
I didn't have any real issues with the blu ray. Several 3d scenes were spectacular
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Last Achievements

PoloPlayr has shown a merry disposition
Watched the 3D version on an Imax screen at the Science Museum here in London last year with big clunky 3D glasses. After the initial 15 minutes of feeling a bit queezy I must say I absolutely loved it and the 3D effects were very nice indeed. Especially the more exhilarating train-going-off-the-tracks sequences!

Been thinking of picking this one up on bluray.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Paul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elfPaul_C_NB is a good elf
I assume by ghost effect you mean it looked like they had a outline around the characters ? If so I experienced the same issue on a 40in screen. I thought perhaps I had a bad disc or that it may have been an issue with my DVD player since it upscales the videos to 1080P. The best scenes for 3-D IMHO were when the little girls ticket made it's lengthy trip from the train & back and the scene where the train is out of control when they go down the super steep train tracks.

That is part of the problem with almost any 3-D show, unless they are trying to poke things out of the screen it mostly adds depth to a scene with is not as dramatic.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,702 Times in 14,908 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I know this thread is quite old, but I couldn't wait to get this movie in 3d bought it and was completely disappointed and ended up selling it. So we have our original copy when it first came out on DVD. Absolutely love The Polar Express though.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,260 Times in 28,880 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I didn't even know that they had this in 3D. I will be looking around for it now.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Last Achievements

Fezziwig has shown a merry disposition
I have both versions... I thought the 3D would be great so I bought it after having the original. I have to agree with others that it was really disappointing...Couldn't really see the 3D effects and wearing the classes at home was a real challenge when looking at the TV.. you can still see the surrounding area beyond the TV and it looks strange. One of my favorite movies, and I'm sticking with the original....