Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Retro » Who really started.....

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Sam's First Christmas
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:23 PM
48,389 Views  0 Posts
Enlisting Your Kids in...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:27 PM
47,900 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas When Life...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:23 PM
44,633 Views  0 Posts
How to Properly Light...
By MMC Editor
08-29-2011 02:10 AM
0 Posts
Christmas Ball 3 Michael Buble Returns...
By MMC Editor
10-08-2012 01:55 AM
42,743 Views  0 Posts
View Poll Results: Age old question.. ALL are divided...Who started METAL? Not Hard Rock...but METAL...
Led Zeppelin 7 31.82%
Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Don't know but Ill pick Black Sabbath.What about Iron Maiden and Judas Priest..I remember them . I was a young kid in the early 70s but I still remember them as well later on.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowytree For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

stevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoestevieray would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It's definetely Black Sabbath. Just like what other posters said. Zep is a blues band that turned their amp to eleven. <<<Spinal Tap humor!!

SR
The Following User Says Thank You to stevieray For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
What about DEEP PURPLE they were around before Black Sabbath

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottCalvin For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 45,225 Times in 7,237 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by ScottCalvin View Post
What about DEEP PURPLE they were around before Black Sabbath
My research said that they were formed in 1968, too. I wonder if they influenced each other - then all could be said to have started "Heavy Metal".
Great band, btw. Thank you for bringing them up, ScottCalvin!
The Following User Says Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
Most bands seemed to be around from the same time, so it makes it hard to say that any particular were the founder of heavy metal it seems that a number could have that claim.

But this is turning into a good discussion to determine who.

Here is another to throw into the mix Steppenwolf formed in 1967 but their big hit 'Born to be Wild' in 1968 could it not be deemed the first 'heavy metal' song?

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The song "Born to Be Wild" does have the phrase "heavy metal thunder", but it's referring to the sound of motorcycles on the road, not to music. The song itself is what I'd call biker rock which, once upon a time, the Doobie Brothers were playing too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wenceslaus For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-03-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Wenceslaus View Post
The song "Born to Be Wild" does have the phrase "heavy metal thunder", but it's referring to the sound of motorcycles on the road, not to music. The song itself is what I'd call biker rock which, once upon a time, the Doobie Brothers were too.
It was not he lyrics I was thinking off more the style the heavier guitar riffs compared to the those of the day

rodmonster (02-04-2009)
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

YellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elf
Black Sabbath.

As many have mentioned, LZ pioneered a very heavy blues style, especially with their debut album. Very bluesy.

Sabbath broke away form the 12-bar blues formula and develped a whole new sound that IS heavy metal. Even their lyrics were dark & mystical in a way that wasn't explored prior to BS. Also, T. Iommi pioneered "down-tuning" on his guitar. He did this to relieve the tension on the strings since he lost his fretting finger tips in an industrial accident. The result was a deeper, darker, more foreboding sound. Todays uber-heavy bands still use this technique to darken their sounds/tones.

YS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YellowSnow For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (02-04-2009), Wenceslaus (02-04-2009)