Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Retro » You know you grew up in the 70's if...

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Bells The Nativity Part IV: He...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:47 PM
66,453 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Things Santa...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:07 PM
50,454 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in the South...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:15 PM
46,095 Views  0 Posts
A Fat Man's Holiday
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:18 PM
44,858 Views  0 Posts
stocking Top Ten Reasons You...
By MMC Editor
09-23-2013 04:07 PM
13,751 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
You know you grew up in the 70's if...

"All skaters, change directions" means something to you.
A predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid".
If female: you thought that Shawn Cassidy was "dreamy", lusted after "Ted, your ship's photographer" on the Love Boat or Chachi.
If male: your first love was Marsha Brady, Jeannine, Samantha from Bewitched, Josie or any one of the Pussycat.
Most of the fillings in your mouth are directly related to Bazooka or Bubble Yum.
Rotary phones.
Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you learned things like grammar, math and history. (A big hint here is if the only way you can recite the Preamble to the Constitution is by singing it.)
The Brady Bunch Movie brings back warm memories.
There was nothing strange about Bert and Ernie living together.
This rings a bell: "and my name, is Charlie. They work for me."
You actually believed that Mikey, famed kid on the Life cereal commercials, died after eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke.
You actually remember Benetton.
You ever had a Dorothy Hamill haircut or used Short and Sassy shampoo.
You ever owned a Donnie and Marie or Sonny and Cher poster.
You ever wanted to learn to play "Stairway to Heaven" on the guitar and choreographed "Dancing Queen" by yourself in your room.
You know all the words to the double-album set of the "Grease" soundtrack.
You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out... and still carry the emotional scars to prove it.
You remember Bo and Luke Duke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, or, worst of all - what Sheriff Roscoe's full name was. (Coltrain)
You remember having to get off the couch to change the TV channel.
You remember when there was only "G", "PG", and "R".
You remember when your cable TV box had a sliding selector switch and your "cable or VCR remote" was connected to the TV by a CORD!
You took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van and remember riding in the back of the station wagon trying to get passing trucks to honk at you.
You tuned in regularly to the adventures of the Bionic Man and Woman, Wonder Woman, and/or the Incredible Hulk.
You were not allowed to see The Exorcist, The Omen, or The Blue Lagoon when they came out.
Your first musical purchase was an 8-track tape.
Your jaw would ache by the time you finished one of those brick-sized packages of Bazooka!
Your parents paid $2,000 for a top-loading VCR that was almost the size of a coffee table.
Your parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes anyway.
You've ever owned a pair of rainbow suspenders like the ones Mork used to wear.
You've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases: "You know, back when...," "When I was your age...," or "When I was younger..."
Old 01-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
Your parents paid $2,000 for a top-loading VCR that was almost the size of a coffee table.
Lol and weighed as much as a baby Elephant

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottCalvin For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (01-31-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,470 Times in 911 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
I can relate to alot of those but not all as I missed the first couple years in the 70's. I didn't come along until 73.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
Yes, and the 'remote' had a 20' cord!!

Originally Posted by ScottCalvin View Post
Lol and weighed as much as a baby Elephant
Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
stocking

This true brought back memories. I really appreciate you sharing this awesome post. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chillywilly For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (01-30-2009)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Last Achievements

rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Same

Same year for me - but i remember a TON. The shows, the toys, the music, the clothes, Elvis passing.. tons....

Originally Posted by Minta View Post
I can relate to alot of those but not all as I missed the first couple years in the 70's. I didn't come along until 73.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Christmasologist

Wenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoeWenceslaus would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
"Members Only" jackets...say no more.
Chevy Chase was really funny in those vacation movies.
The Members Only jacket came out in 1981, and the first Chevy Chase vacation movie was released in 1983.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wenceslaus For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (01-31-2009)
Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 AM

Last Achievements

=(

Sorry - 70s and 80s blur for me sometimes - growing up in both.
=)
I corrected it!
=)
Originally Posted by Wenceslaus View Post
The Members Only jacket .........
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,668 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I loved watching School House Rock, After School Specials. Do you all remember Time for Timer? He did the public service announcements promoting healthy eating and personal hygiene for children. I'm thinking late 70's early 80's. Do you recall some of these videos? I sure do!
Sunshine on a stick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaVWM1mqG74
Hanker for a hunk of cheese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jgo...eature=related
Eat Breakfast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjnKz...eature=related
Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 PM

Last Achievements

I

I have all the SH Rocks, T4Ts, One to Grow on, Now you Knows, Willie Survies, Zack Attacks, Etc.
Tons...
I had my lil girl watch a few hours of them with me a few months back - Floored me on how fast she got them and how much she really liked them all.
Still sings the Mr Yuck song and some from Mr Slim Goodbody!
=)