Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Anyone planning to scale back for Christmas '09?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Bells The Nativity Part II:...
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:43 PM
58,629 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas Past Comes...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:17 PM
0 Posts
“Christmas Afternoon” by...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:51 AM
38,805 Views  0 Posts
Nobody Believes Me
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:30 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
08-30-2013 05:10 AM
55,808 Views  4 Posts
Christmas Tree The Christmas Tree Ship
By MMC Editor
01-03-2013 03:15 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
07-17-2013 02:30 PM
38,957 Views  1 Posts

Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,676 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
holly Anyone planning to scale back for Christmas '09?

With all the dire news being fed to us 24/7, does anyone here foresee changing the way they have Christmas in 2009? I have been stowing away bargains I am finding now for my nieces and nephews for gifting and have already put away some things I found for 75-90% off for my tree. But, I wonder how it will work out for some of those who are without jobs and who may be still struggling come next November and December. My holiday grocery bills generally are pretty big...I feel fortunate that we are able to manage, but even at that, I may start a little holiday fund going now!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 45,250 Times in 7,243 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We actually have been every year - spend somewhat bigger on the nieces and nephews. I try to pick things up all year long, but this year haven't found much - everything is picked over by the time I get to the store.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

sgrover has disabled reputation
So far I've no plans to cut back, but I'm not a big $pender anyway. It's more about the music, the decorations (which I have plenty of - just ask my husband! ), the time spent together etc. It's not just the gifts.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I'm not planning on scaling back as of right now. Who knows what the next few months will bring though. Now that my brother has a job it will definately make it easier on me for Christamas this year. Last year he was laid off and I bought most of his gifts plus all of the stuff that I normally buy so that was tough. Thankfully I was able to do it. I usually start shopping early and put stuff aside but, I really haven't started anything yet. I will probably start this summer for some things. I have a few ideas for some things to get now but, I will start in a couple of months. I don't really need any more decorations so I'm not looking to get anything in that dept. except for lights. I always need lights. I still have some unopened sets from last year though. We'll see. My boss said that we have plenty of work and not to worry about our jobs, atleast for this year. The president/CEO/owner of my company told everyone at the Christmas party that our company has no debt so he wasn't too concerned about our business failing either. So, it looks as if my job is pretty secure right now so hopefully that will continue and I'll be able to ride out this economic crisis being employed and secure. My mom works there too so I really hope that the company can ride this out because if not then we'll both be out of work and that's not good. We'll see what the next few months bring though.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
We have been talking about scaling back and looking for bargins. We already have 3 people done for Christmas and have picked up a couple gifts and elf gifts for the kids. We plan on scaling back on gifts for members outside our house - having been toying with an idea of buying each person an ornaments that is specific to that receiver. I also picked foam ornament kits that the kids can do and then give each aunt/uncle and grandparent a homemade ornament.

I love to bake, especially around the holidays. I have found several new recipes that I will be trying out all year to see which ones I will add to my baking. I love to give baskets filled with homemade goodies.

I have started putting aside all my change from my purse and any extra money I can spare each week for Christmas. I think once summer hits I will start buying gift cards each pay and put them aside to pay for the holiday dinners.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 15,987 Times in 3,675 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I don´t think we will have to scale back...we are pretty short with the money everyyear anyway....so we never do it that big...but we will see what the future brings

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
Nope! If the rest of 2009 is as stressful as the first two months have been, I plan on going all out for Christmas 2009!!! Mind you, I won't dip into savings, but every loose dollar will go for Christmas merriment! I gotta have some fun.

I think I need to add a footnote to this post! By merriment I mean food and visiting friends, etc....gift buying will be reserved only for my daughter this year (and a little something for my best friend)....but I have all my Christmas cards bought already!!

Last edited by HolidayHoney; 03-03-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
The celebration itself will be larger than ever.

We'll have to see about the gift giving as Christmas approaches.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
I know that I should, but it's Christmas and like everyone has already stated, it's not the gifts but the time spent with loved ones. The decorations are already bought and I'm going to put them up and enjoy them as usual. But there is only two of us and I don't have any family close. I'm going to put up all my trees this year and enjoy them. If something happens to where gifts are more important, then I'm not in the true Christmas spirit.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,676 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by Head Elf View Post
I know that I should, but it's Christmas and like everyone has already stated, it's not the gifts but the time spent with loved ones. The decorations are already bought and I'm going to put them up and enjoy them as usual. But there is only two of us and I don't have any family close. I'm going to put up all my trees this year and enjoy them. If something happens to where gifts are more important, then I'm not in the true Christmas spirit.
Well said!