Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Christmas Eve traditions??

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,838
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I usually start off the day by finishing up any shopping that my mom's calls on me to do! Then I finish wrapping and deliver all of the gifts to my mom's house. Then I finish up any baking and I fix up 2 plates of cookies, one for my mom and one for my brother. Then I get myself ready, get the dog ready in whatever she is going to wear that night and head up to my mom's around 6pm. We have a casual dinner of ham or turkey and then we head over to the tree. It's usually my mom, brother, my husband and me and of course my dog! Then I head home with all of my stuff loaded into my car around 11 that night and get ready for Santa to visit!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), hilarios (11-10-2009), lizziexo (07-22-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012), xmasbug (10-16-2012)
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

Moondust has shown a merry disposition
I spend the day with my little cousins and help them to deliver cards around their housing estate while we all wear Santa hats. Then my mum picks me up on the way home from work, bringing the kids' presents with her so they can open them while we're there. Then we go home and I generally act like I'm ten years younger than I actually am, jumping up and down like a total moron and gibbering incoherently (OK, this is more of a bad habit than a tradition, but shhh). Then I watch festive TV in the evening, and go to my room to make sure all my parents' presents are packed nicely in their gift bags (of course they are, I've spent weeks re-arranging them, but I have to do it once more just for the excitement...)

Then I watch cartoons that I watched as a kid and get dreadfully sentimental, so indulge in a glass or two of wine/port/whatever's closest and scoff fruitcake with my mum. My Dad arrives home from work and empathises with my childishness.

Then we all sit in the glow of the tree and the lights (which never look prettier than on Christmas Eve) and watch festive TV, like films, sitcom holiday specials, festive documentaries, whatever's on, and snack on our own body weight in indulgent munchies. Then I go to my Nan's house a street away to exchange gift bags (save her carrying things up the hill). Then I generally slug my way upstairs for a few hours to talk to people online (guess which site I'm going to be loitering on this year hi there) then I get changed and me and my Mum meet my Nan who lives a street away and we all walk to midnight mass.

All through midnight mass I'm shamefully distracted from religion by the lovely atmosphere and my own silly excitement. On the way back we wave goodbye to my Nan and go home, where my Dad has hot turkey and stuffing sandwiches prepared for us. I put my Christmas PJs on (the past two years, it's been a Disneyland Paris Christmas Nighty, terribly unflattering but so adorable), I carry my parents' gift bags downstairs, then disappear into my room and lie there reminiscing about when I was younger and I'd be listening out for Santa's sleigh.

I just realised that I really ought to grow up by now. 19's not too old for still acting like a child, right?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Moondust For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), ballcoach (09-30-2009), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), Janey (09-30-2009), jollyliz (11-14-2009), kathrynfell (11-10-2009), lizziexo (07-22-2009), Mumof2 (05-18-2010), Sanity Clause (12-11-2012), snowflake22 (09-18-2012), xmasbug (10-16-2012)
Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

dancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elf
When I was younger there wasn't really any traditions I can remember except for making mince pies and leaving them out on christmas eve night, but the past few years I seem to have done near enough the same thing.
I always get up early so I can make sure I've got everyone's gifts ready and wrapped. I help my mum clean the house then I go with her to visit my nans grave and see any family members who live that end of the village, then we go and visit my godparents to exchange gifts. Then its back home to make mince pies ready for supper at night and for christmas day. Once we know everything is ready for christmas we have hot chocolate and a box of cadburys chocs and watch a nice festive film, the past 2 years its been miracle on 34th street.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dancer_90 For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), lizziexo (07-22-2009), xmasbug (10-16-2012)
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

lizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elflizziexo is a good elf
we've never had any traditions on christmas eve, just sit around and watch tv really. My mum buys me the TV quick which has all the tv listings for the whole of chirstmas so I get a pen and circle what I want to watch and try and fit them all in on a schedual so nothing crosses over.
I tend to have 50 million cups of tea on christmas eve too. Then my eldest brother will go pick up my eldest sister and my nephew up with her presents and everyone stays the night. I tend to watch tv with him which is nice, I'm his favourite aunty
Then for tea it's anything my mum can be bothered to make. Then we'll watch more TV and get baths, lots of hot water is used. One bad thing having a big family who's all home for christmas - LOTS of hot water is consumed !!
After that my little brother will put out a carrot for rudolph and some sherry and a mince pie for santa
So my younger brother and sister will go to bed which means my other brother enjoys a nice glass of sherry and a mince pie, Aha!
After a while when my mum knows my brother and sister are asleep she'll bring down the presents and wrap up a few which stil need to be done, but just little ones. During this time my sister makes us each a a coffee thing with tia maria and a cream float with warmed up mince pies with squirty cream MMMMMMMMMMMM
then she puts out our presents in our spots which we've had forever! and we all go to bed and wake up around 7ish - i remember one year it was half 5! thats just tooo early ahahaha

Oh & just to let everyone know I've LOVED reading all your posts
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lizziexo For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012), xmasbug (10-23-2012)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

Jolly Old Elf Mary has shown a merry dispositionJolly Old Elf Mary has shown a merry dispositionJolly Old Elf Mary has shown a merry dispositionJolly Old Elf Mary has shown a merry disposition
If I'm not working, I start my day around 7am. I turn on all the Christmas lights and then gather my tv/vcr combo, dvd player and all my Christmas movies/favorite childhood cartoons and set them up in the diningroom. I pop in one of the programs and while it's playing, I start a pot of coffee. After I've watched a few minutes of the program, enjoyed a cup of coffee and fixed a second cup, I put on my apron and start making the many holiday candies on my list, along with a couple of peanut butter pies. I finish with the sweets around 5pm (I stop a few times to watch the Christmas programs) and then start the food. By this time, I have watched MANY Christmas programs, some twice. On Christmas Eve, one of our local tv stations always plays "It's A Wonderful Life". I have this movie on tape, but it's always better to watch it on tv, so this movie is playing while I cook the few side dishes I make for the Christmas dinner.

I, usually, finish up the cooking and cleaning of the kitchen around 10pm, then head for a bath and bed. I too lie in bed reminiscing about my childhood and I will sometimes look at the sky in hopes of catching a glimpse of Rudolph's nose. Of course, as an adult, I know it's a plane I'm looking at, but when I was a child, I just knew that was Rudolph leading Santa's sleigh through the sky.

Alot of my friends hear about my Christmas Eve cooking day and complain about how tiring it sounds. It's alot of work, but I really enjoy it. I just shutout the outside world, put on the Christmas programs and enter my own little world. It really enhances my Christmas spirit.

If I'm working Christmas Eve, I make the candies the weekend before and then the food Christmas Eve night. Again, the movies/cartoons are playing the whole time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jolly Old Elf Mary For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), ballcoach (09-30-2009), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), MsChristmas (09-30-2009), Neotericisis (10-24-2012), snowflake22 (09-18-2012), xmasbug (10-16-2012)
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

BrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elfBrittanyMarie is a good elf
Growing up we spent Christmas eve hanging around the house and trying to make the day go by as fast as possible. We would watch A Christmas story as soon as it came on. We would all get to open up one present, which like many, would usually be some kind of pajamas. We would go to bed at 9:30 sharp every year. We would all sleep in the same room so that no one would be tempted to go into someone elses room and possibly see any of the presents. I have such good memories of all those times.

Now we usually spend Christmas eve getting ready for Christmas day. A good portion of the day is spent baking and finishing up any wrapping that may be left. Towards the evening the family gets together and has a nice dinner and we usually watch a Christmas movie. It's very nice & relaxing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrittanyMarie For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), ballcoach (09-30-2009), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012)
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
candle

Growing up Christmas eve was a day of great anticipation. My Mom would still be doing her cleaning (no decorations could be put on the windows until they were cleaned and her washed curtains were hung). The tree usually was brought in the house after dark (it took all day for Dad to get it, he had to do his last minute shopping at 4:45 pm, the stores closed at 5 pm. Then it was finding a bucket and some rocks to put the tree trunk in and if that didn't hold, my Dad would pound a nail in the wall attach a string to the tree and nail and the tree would stand.

Finally we could decorate the tree and put lights around the picture window. Then my Mom would stay up all night finishing her cleaning, (we have the home movies to prove it plus the kitchen clock is in full view). You heard of spring cleaning, well my Mom did major Christmas cleaning on Christmas Eve. Then my brother and I would go to bed and get up before the break of day (my Mom and Dad had only been sleeping about an hr. or else just got to sleep. Or my Mom had to go to work Christmas Day and she would get us up really early to see us look at our presents (they were never wrapped when I was small). So Christmas eve growing up was busy and yet fond memories still dwell in my heart.

Traditions do change because life changes. Now we spend Christmas Eve with our children and their families. I make my Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, I started doing it when my kids were small. It enabled me to enjoy Christmas Day and not be stuck in the kitchen. I never made my kids wait to have decorations or have the tree up. And I always wrapped all of their gifts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joyful For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012)
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

ohchristmastree has shown a merry dispositionohchristmastree has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Moondust View Post
I spend the day with my little cousins and help them to deliver cards around their housing estate while we all wear Santa hats. Then my mum picks me up on the way home from work, bringing the kids' presents with her so they can open them while we're there. Then we go home and I generally act like I'm ten years younger than I actually am, jumping up and down like a total moron and gibbering incoherently (OK, this is more of a bad habit than a tradition, but shhh). Then I watch festive TV in the evening, and go to my room to make sure all my parents' presents are packed nicely in their gift bags (of course they are, I've spent weeks re-arranging them, but I have to do it once more just for the excitement...)

Then I watch cartoons that I watched as a kid and get dreadfully sentimental, so indulge in a glass or two of wine/port/whatever's closest and scoff fruitcake with my mum. My Dad arrives home from work and empathises with my childishness.

Then we all sit in the glow of the tree and the lights (which never look prettier than on Christmas Eve) and watch festive TV, like films, sitcom holiday specials, festive documentaries, whatever's on, and snack on our own body weight in indulgent munchies. Then I go to my Nan's house a street away to exchange gift bags (save her carrying things up the hill). Then I generally slug my way upstairs for a few hours to talk to people online (guess which site I'm going to be loitering on this year hi there) then I get changed and me and my Mum meet my Nan who lives a street away and we all walk to midnight mass.

All through midnight mass I'm shamefully distracted from religion by the lovely atmosphere and my own silly excitement. On the way back we wave goodbye to my Nan and go home, where my Dad has hot turkey and stuffing sandwiches prepared for us. I put my Christmas PJs on (the past two years, it's been a Disneyland Paris Christmas Nighty, terribly unflattering but so adorable), I carry my parents' gift bags downstairs, then disappear into my room and lie there reminiscing about when I was younger and I'd be listening out for Santa's sleigh.

I just realised that I really ought to grow up by now. 19's not too old for still acting like a child, right?
I think it is lovely that you are still reminiscing about christmas as to when you were a child! It is just like my christmas and it is the best!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohchristmastree For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Mistletoeologist

Smiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
As a child we would always go to my dad's mom's house for a Christmas party on Christmas Eve & she's have dinner (a teaser of what was to come the next day). All of the kids would play & my aunts & uncles would sit around & laugh & tell stories. Us kids played until we were too tired to stay up anymore. Every year we'd plot how we were gonna stay up to see Santa (failed every year LOL). My grandmother has since passed & my grandfather moved in with one of my uncle's & his family. Now on Christmas Eve I go to the mall with my dad so he can get mom's gift LOL!

Sometimes my dad has to work on Christmas Day because he's a firefighter so we'll stay up until Midnight & have Christmas then so dad can be there to share presents and other things like that. I could never really get into the milk & cookies thing since I don't like milk but my brother always left some out for Santa.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smiley21 For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), Seawaters (11-14-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

MrsmerryChristmas has shown a merry disposition
It is so neat to read about everyone's Christmas Eve traditions. One Christmas Eve tradition my family has is that we eat pizza for dinner on Christmas Eve. We've been doing that since I was a kid. My mother started that tradition when we were young to save herself some time, since it was such a busy night (plus, it was a treat for us kids, as we hardly ever had a chance to have pizza any other time of the year!)

We still continue the tradition and its probably one of the things I look forward to the most.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrsmerryChristmas For This Useful Post:
aleighanne (09-14-2012), Beki (10-05-2009), hilarios (11-10-2009), Seawaters (11-14-2009), snowflake22 (09-18-2012)