Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Recipes » Super Bowl or Any Time Snacks

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Rudolph Controversy
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:21 PM
47,909 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas Sight
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:36 PM
47,611 Views  0 Posts
The Year the Reindeer...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:17 PM
64,049 Views  0 Posts
Frankincense
By MMC Editor
06-08-2011 05:45 PM
47,353 Views  0 Posts
The Connection Between...
By MMC Editor
10-21-2011 09:32 AM
56,738 Views  0 Posts

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Super Bowl or Any Time Snacks

SuperBowl Sunday is upon us. I thought I'd share some tasty recipes that can be enjoyed today or any time you have friends gathering and want tasty snacks to serve them.

Spiced Bacon Twists

1 C. light brown sugar
2 T. dry mustard
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 lb. sliced bacon

Arrange oven racks in middle and bottom positions. Preheat oven to 350°F. To make clean-up easy, line bottom of a broiler pan with foil.
Place a sheet of waxed paper on shallow tray or counter. Place brown sugar, mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne on waxed paper and rub together with your fingers until mixture is evenly blended.
Dip bacon strips into sugar mixture, coating evenly. Twist each bacon strip several times. Arrange about half the slices in a single layer on rack of broiler pan. Bake 30 minutes or until bacon is almost crisp and sugar is bubbly. Carefully place hot bacon strips on a piece of clean aluminum foil to cool slightly before serving. Repeat with remaining bacon slices and sugar mixture. These may be served warm or at room temperature.

Black Bean & Corn Salsa (a dip that goes well with tortilla chips or if you dare you could use it over homemade potato skins or baked pita chips.)

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups cooked corn
4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 onion, peeled and diced
1/2 cup parsley, stemmed and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1 lime, juiced

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes to meld flavors. Refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor.

Jalapeno Crab Dip
After tasting this dip, Christmas guests fell in love with it, it’s a tad spicy. (Don’t quote me on the tad - some like it hot.)
1 pound crab meat
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 cup pickled jalapeños
1/4 pound Monterery Jack Cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Parmesan Cheese

Chop the jalapeños and grate the cheese.
Combine all ingredients except the Parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle the Parmesan over cheese mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees F about 25 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes.

Creamy Salsa Dip (Great with nacho chips, vegies, etc.) I bring this to my parents' for their Christmas Eve buffet.

1 container of sour cream
1/2 pkg. cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup chunky salsa sauce (I use med. spicy)
1 tsp. only flakes
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic

I double the recipe if I'm taking this dip to a party. Just mix everything together and let it cool in the fridge before serving so it firms up a bit.

Mom's Nuts & Bolts Recipe

Nuts and Bolts
(Brush lining of roast pan with a garlic clove or dried - crushed garlic)
4 cups of Shreddies, Life (Chex) and Cherrios / ½ cup butter, melt and add
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce / 2 teaspoons celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt / 3 tablespoons seasoned salt.
Bake for 1-1 ½ hrs. at 250 degrees - stirring every 15-20 minutes. Add peanuts, pretzels, etc. Serve.

What's a party without desset? If you can't add the Guinness, try the alternative recipe below, if not cake - go for pie!
Guinness Cake Recipe

2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Guinness (Stout)
3/4 cup Cocoa (Unsweetened)
3/4 cup Sour Cream
10 tsp Butter (Unsalted)
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Eggs

In a large bowl over a medium heat, combine the Guinness and butter.
When the butter has melted, add the sugar and cocoa then blend together.
In another bowl, mix together the sour cream, vanilla extract and eggs. Then add to the Guinness mix.
Add the baking soda and flour while mixing, then whisk well. Pour into a large cake pan.
Place in an oven preheated to 350 F and bake for about 45 minutes.

Pumpkin Hazelnut Pie

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
1 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
Whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping (optional)

Combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and spices in a medium bowl; mix well. Pour into the piecrust. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Bake in a 350° F oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted off center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate until serving time. If desired, serve with your favorite whipped topping.

I'm not doing all that today. I'm making salmon wraps and we'll have some Torpedo Shrimp later during the game.

You wanna make Salmon Wraps?
It's the easiest thing in the world.
One can of Salmon (red is best)
Half a container of Cream Cheese
3 tablespoons of Horseradish
Crush about six croutons
Mix all ingredients together. You'll want to soften the cream cheese to make it easier to mix.
Squirt a dash of lemon juice (or squeeze a wedge of lime into the mixture and blend it again)
Spoon mixture onto wraps (we prefer Spinach, Tomatoes and Herbs or Ancient Grain tortillas shells)
Add some chopped lettuce and wrap away. Store in fridge or serve fresh.
Tastes yummy!
It's also tasty on toasted bagels.

Now, I'm getting hungry. Enjoy the game!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
CharlestonNole (02-01-2009), One Spoiled Brat (09-14-2010)
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Keeper of the Yule Goat

CharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the WisemenCharlestonNole could be one of the Wisemen
All of it sounds great!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Last Achievements

AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
You betcha! I had the Spiced Bacon Twists at a friend's party once and grabbed the recipe from her.

I like stuff with a little "kick", but not enough to call it a "tackle" or a "field goal". HaHa.

Look honey, I made a football joke.

Runs to tell her husband how funny she is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (02-02-2009), Santa's Helper (02-01-2009)
Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I had to make Cheesy potatoes for my husband to take to work today because they are having a super bowl party today. He works 2nd shift so he'll be watching it all during his shift at work. Too bad he doesn't really like sports! It's like torture to him when they watch football or hockey. Weird I know!! But, he participates in all of the festivities just the same. He's a 911 dispatcher so I guess it's good that somebody there isn't interested in watching the game. Someone has to answer the phone!!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Last Achievements

Yeah, I imagine there isn't a shift that goes by when the phone doesn't ring.

I don't mind watching sports a bit when it's the finals, it's the lead up I don't find exciting. It's like American or Canadian Idol. I'd rather watch performers after they've made a success of their talent.

I used to be a Die Hard Blue Jays fan back when they won the World Series two years in a row, then there was the break (strike) and I never got back into it.

I watch a bit of Tennis, love Horse Racing and watch some Equestrian competitions. I also watch a few events and the opening and closing ceremonies of the Winter or Summer Olympics when they cross the screen.

If I went back in time and did it over, I would have liked to have played Basketball in Junior or Senior High School, but I don't care to watch it.

The last live baseball game I attended was when the Blue Jays played the Angels in the old stadium before moving to the SKYDOME.

The last time I watched football with a great deal of interest, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were playing for the 49ers.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 45,215 Times in 7,237 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds yummy - especially the Jalapeno crab dip. Thank you for posting the recipes!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Last Achievements

That's one of my favourites. MMmmm. Gives me hot flashes even when I don't have hot flashes.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

One Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnogOne Spoiled Brat will NOT spit in your eggnog
Thank you so much....The crab dip sounds too good NOT to make....So, since you twisted my arm, okay, I'll do it....Smiles....