Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Lawyer Fights for Christmas in Schools

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
MMC Newshound

Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,078 Posts
ElfBot has disabled reputation
Lawyer Fights for Christmas in Schools

While some public schools now talk about “winter break,” rather than “Christmas vacation,” Missouri attorney Dee Wampler is leading an effort to restore the traditional holiday name. “I believe we are sacrificing our history and cheating our students out of an honest look at American history,” said Wampler, a member of Second Baptist Church in Springfield. Wampler [...]

More from Defend Christmas...
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)

Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

olympicfan has shown a merry disposition
ok i have never met anyone offended by the term Christmas break... i really don't understand how anyone could be
The Following User Says Thank You to olympicfan For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,724 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I don´t understand all that fuss myself.....I have a few muslim friends and one even gave me a Christmas present once....they just accept that this time of the year is called Christmas....some take part in the celebration...some just enjoy the free days they have in that time....but noone is offended......I mean....I doubt that the Turkish or let´s say Tunesian government is thinking of calling Ramadan and the day of celebration when the fasting is over any other name, so they don´t offend Christians or Jews...and with good right....Most people there are muslims or at least grew up with the customs of the country.....And that´s how it is in the States, too....Most people are Christians and/or grew up with the custom of Christmas.....it´s a US-Tradition....as it is in France, Germany, England and on....all that political correctness only fuels anger on other religions sometimes, that they don´t deserve....because they usually don´t care....all people that I know that are atheists, muslims or jews still like Christmas....either because they also celebrate it....or...because they enjoy the free days of work....I hope You guys understand what I meant......It´s important to respect and know a bit bout other religions...BUT it´s very, very important to respect one owns Religions and the traditions that have been going on for years that never hurt anyone....but those fundamentalist atheists...who I think are the ones that are causin most of that.

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,424 Times in 28,909 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
They just changed it here last year from christmas break to winter break and they said it is because the kids are getting off two weeks and not just for christmas. I think it is stupid and we all know why they did it. I can understand why they did it though. They didn't want any kind of fight over it and they didn't want to spend money trying to defend it so they just changed it to avoid the hassle and I think that says something about the times we live in.
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,124 Times in 9,459 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
When I was a kid it was called, Christmas Vacation, when my daughter started school as a kindergarten (she is 23 years old now) they called it, Winter Vacation and still do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 07-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Am 30 now, but when I was a kid they called it Christmas Vacation throughout all my graduating year in 97.

They even made a movie in 1989 called Christmas Vacation movie staring Chevy Chase. Surely, it wasn't called National Lampoon's Winter Vacation, or National Lampoon's Winter Solstice.

Basically, these past years have developed into a huge cultural war involving political correctness. That's all it is. In part, it entails the government not wanting to offend the minority who may inevitably feel discriminated by the foundations that have been set up by a our once predominantly Christian nation while the attacks on the Christmas movement and other religious efforts have been very seductive to young adults newly released from parental oversight as well as those who feel christianity has somehow threatened their own beliefs (or lack thereof).

This is solely based on the opinion on why Christmas is being excluded from mainstream outlets and substituted for other so called "less threatening words" that do not include the subject of Christianity. Unfortunately, Christmas was never, ever a threatening word until those who disagree with the faith claimed to be offended by it and eventually made a discrimination case over the issue.
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by usafvet View Post
Christmas was never, ever a threatening word until those who disagree with the faith claimed to be offended by it and eventually made a discrimination case over the issue.

I disagree about it being people of different faiths being offended and complaining. I think for the most part it is White Liberals who are scared to offend other people who made Christmas a dirty word.

Before I get backlash for this let me inform that not only am I white I am also liberal. So I know not all whote liberals are like that. I just think the ones who make the biggest fuss are.

Them and Militant Athiests. Before I get backlash from any athiest( I doubt there are many on here, but just in case) let me say I am an agnostic with athiest leanings.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
I disagree about it being people of different faiths being offended and complaining. I think for the most part it is White Liberals who are scared to offend other people who made Christmas a dirty word.

Before I get backlash for this let me inform that not only am I white I am also liberal. So I know not all whote liberals are like that. I just think the ones who make the biggest fuss are.

Them and Militant Athiests. Before I get backlash from any athiest( I doubt there are many on here, but just in case) let me say I am an agnostic with athiest leanings.

I think you misunderstood my post that you quoted.

"Christmas was never, ever a threatening word until those who disagree with the faith claimed to be offended by it and eventually made a discrimination case over the issue."

When I state "those who disagree with the faith" it is not just limited to anyone who may be of a different faith and may disagree with the Christian faith, possibly "offended and complaining" as you so put. Rather, the point I am trying to make in that statement is simply, those who disagree with the faith (meaning anyone in general: liberals, athiests, those opposed of the Christian faith, and anyone who feels obligated to take issue on the CHRIST word of Christmas.)

I imagine some of these individuals are likely the same folks who have taken up issue on having the ten commandments displayed in many state court houses or having "God" mentioned in any affair intwined with our Government, such as in our Pledge of Allegience, our currency, the walls of Congress, etc. I wanted to make sure and verify this since I was quoted, and since you may have misunderstood, the chance to explain in further detail seemed to be in order.

Bottom line is there is a war waged in our society where moral relativism challenges a belief system such as Christianity (and other religions to their respect). Those who buy more into moral relativism and the humanistic theory (where the boundary of right or wrong is merely based on one's perception) feel less inclined to follow a biblical standard and more inclined to secure moral relativism as a modern way of life. If that calls challenging the government to take God out of such entities to secure that livelihood, then many will find ways to claim Christianity and other religions as discriminatory. Many liberals have adopted the movements aforementioned as it secures a humanistic livelihood that many liberals (and the lifestyles they support) hope to obtain. The Government in turn appeases these minorities in an attempt to not offend them.

I didn't want to get into all of that because it is pretty deep stuff in a nice little Christmas forum, but based on a forum of the Christmas controversy & opinion, it all is a component to this very thing.

I certainly do not post this to offend anyone or talk religion. Just wanting to give my two cents worth based off my media/communication and religious studies. Had to put it to use somehow.