Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » Anyone have traditional family christmas meals to share?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,083
Threads: 53,867
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,459)
Welcome to our newest member, NMcKeel

Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

Medipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elfMedipaul is a good elf
Anyone have traditional family christmas meals to share?

Every year, going back generations, my family gets together on Christmas Eve. We used to all gather at Grandma and Grandpa's house (bless their souls) and now we meet at my aunt and uncle's house (Aunt and uncle Mary and Joseph...how ironic).
Grandma was into her Norweigian heritage, and every year we continue to have lutefisk, lefse, and norweigian meatballs for Christmas Eve dinner. THose are the staples, we also usually have potatoes, other dishes brought to pass and enough cookies to circle the earth (twice). Afterwards all the kids write down on a list what they will perform this year, and they put on the annual christmas program where they will sing a song or play an instrument for the show. It's a great time!

Anyone else have their traditional family holiday foods?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
For breakfest on Christmas Eve I will make chocolate Chip pancakes and a sausage, egg & hassbrown casserole for breakfest.
French toast casserole & Stuffed French Bread for breakfest onChristmas day.

We have seafood either on Christmas Eve or New Years Eve. It depends on if we have guests for dinner on Christmas Eve. If we do then we have stuffed shells and meatballs.

Christmas Day we either do a turkey or ham dinner with my recipe of home made mac & cheese. I first made the mac & cheese about 4 Christmases ago and since then it has because a must have for Christmas dinner. A new tradition was born.

Now for baking: there is a list of cookies that I MUST bake every Christmas. Some of those cookies were the same ones I used to make with mom when I was a child and now I make them with my kids. There a few types of cookies that I will bake in the beginning of the month for just our family to enjoy and then the weekend before Christmas I do a big baking weekend of the rest of must have cookies for us and for the baskets that I give out each year. There a few cookies that I may switch out for a different type of cookie but I always bake the must haves first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Medipaul (06-10-2009)
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
My Christmas dinners are usually traditional. I have my dinner on Christmas eve unless something in the family happens and we have to change it.
Ham is usually the staple meat, but we have had steaks and also Turkey breast. But there will always be ham on my Christmas dinner table.
Mashed potatoes/gravy/green bean casserole/pumpkin pie/cherry pie/pumkin roll or bars/rolls and a fruit salad.

Last Christmas eve we lost our electric power right before it was time to eat. Thank goodness everything was cooked and I had planned to eat by candlelite. But after the meal trying to keep 5 young grandchildren occupied proved to be a challenge. So we all left and went to my daughter's house.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,621 Times in 12,679 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Minta View Post
with my recipe of home made mac & cheese. I first made the mac & cheese about 4 Christmases ago and since then it has because a must have for Christmas dinner. A new tradition was born.
I LOVE mac and cheese. Please share your recipe. I have many versions and changeout every few months, just to add variety.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
santahat

We have Turkey along with Ham. My wife's famous dressing that she makes. Macaroni and Cheese, Mash Potatoes and gravy, Sweet Potatoe Pies, German Chocolate Cake, Pumpkin Pie, Cranberry Jelly, Olives along with a veggie tray, And what ever else my wife and daughter can think of.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
I LOVE mac and cheese. Please share your recipe. I have many versions and changeout every few months, just to add variety.

I justed added my recipe for home made mac and cheese under the recipe section.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
momnan30 (06-12-2009), Seawaters (06-11-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

Janet has shown a merry dispositionJanet has shown a merry disposition
Christmas dinner usually includes ham, sweet potato casserole, mac and cheese, rolls, corn casserole, deviled eggs and coconut pie.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Minta View Post
I justed added my recipe for home made mac and cheese under the recipe section.
I am on my way there right after I post this. Thanks bunches. One can never have too many mac and cheese recipes!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Last Achievements

Minta's recipe looks absolutely divine. I have already copied it to my Carolina Cooking folder!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
here ya go......

Here ya go..... check some of these posts for the meals we made in 08....

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/foru...ad.php?t=14050

Originally Posted by Medipaul View Post
Every year, going back generations, my family gets together on Christmas Eve. We used to all gather at Grandma and Grandpa's house (bless their souls) and now we meet at my aunt and uncle's house (Aunt and uncle Mary and Joseph...how ironic).
Grandma was into her Norweigian heritage, and every year we continue to have lutefisk, lefse, and norweigian meatballs for Christmas Eve dinner. THose are the staples, we also usually have potatoes, other dishes brought to pass and enough cookies to circle the earth (twice). Afterwards all the kids write down on a list what they will perform this year, and they put on the annual christmas program where they will sing a song or play an instrument for the show. It's a great time!

Anyone else have their traditional family holiday foods?