Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » What defines a Christmas movie?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,843
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
What defines a Christmas movie?

Sometimes a movie takes place at Christmas time that just isn't a Christmas movie.

To me an example of this to me is Die Hard.

There are other movies that people feel are Christmas movies that some others don't

I've never thought of Home Alone as a Christmas movie

What to you defines a Christmas movie?

Are there Christmas time movies that you don't consider Christmas movies?

Debate

And remember everyone is entitled to an opinion
Christmas-A-Holic (06-24-2009)
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,986 Times in 9,434 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
To me, Home Alone, is a Christmas movie because of how he survives alone and decorates the house for Christmas. He gets his family home on Christmas Day to celebrate. My husband is like you and said he didn't think of it as a Christmas movie.

My husband feels that Trading Places is a Christmas movie to him because it took place during Christmas. I don't get that Christmas feeling from that movie but he has to pop in the dvd every year.

Here is a movie that it seems no one has heard of and it's one of my favorite Christmas movies, The Lemondrop Kid with Bob Hope. It was the movie that first introduced the song, Silver Bells sung by Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell. I love this version of this song but I have never found a recording of it, I only hear it in the movie. I feel it to be a Christmas movie and a great comedy. I am not sure that others think of it as a Christmas movie but I cannot go a year without watching it.

As far as a favorite and what I define as a Christmas movie, it would have to be, It's a Wonderful Life. That says it all for a Christmas movie in my opinion. Very moving and heartwarming! A desperate man at his breaking point sees how everyone is affected if he was not around. He learned all this on Christmas Eve. I cannot count how many times I have seen this movie. I know I have seen it at least 200 times. I own 2 copies on dvd, 1 on vhs and 1 I recorded on a vhs off the tv. I have to have an extra in case someone borrows one, I have 1 at home. I think I would panic if there was not a copy at home to watch, lol.

Here are some others I feel define a Christmas movie, A Christmas Carol for the obvious reasons that a troubled man turns his life around on Christmas Eve. The movie, A Christmas Story has a nostalgic feel to it and funny. I love the movie, Prancer. It has a heartwarming feel to it about saving Santa's reindeer.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
I have heard people say lemon drop as a Christmas show.

Not many mind you, Mostly because I think not too many people know of it.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
I have heard people say lemon drop as a Christmas show.

Not many mind you, Mostly because I think not too many people know of it.
I am glad some people are aware of that movie! I felt alone. Lol...Everyone I personally know seem to be clueless when I mention it.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I am glad some people are aware of that movie! I felt alone. Lol...Everyone I personally know seem to be clueless when I mention it.
Yes, well I think most people these days are not familiar with alot of the classics.

I have to wonder how many people are aware of the "ROAD" movies with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby

Outside of these forums I mean. I bet a few of our members are fans
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
Yes, well I think most people these days are not familiar with alot of the classics.

I have to wonder how many people are aware of the "ROAD" movies with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby

Outside of these forums I mean. I bet a few of our members are fans
The "Road" movies are great!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Im a little torn on what I think makes a movie a Christmas movie. Of course there are the obvious ones (Fred Claus, Santa Claus etc..) but to me if it has to do with Christmas (even Home Alone) it is Christmas enough for me
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,300 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
How about semi-Christmas movies that fall into a sort of gray area? I'm fond of "The Shop Around the Corner," which most people wouldn't consider a Christmas movie, but the last couple reels take place during the Christmas season, and the film winds up on Christmas Eve. I love the scene where everyone is leaving the shop as it closes for Christmas, and the shop owner, desperately wanting to spend Christmas with someone, chats with each departing clerk, fishing around to see if they have plans. They all do, and it looks like the shop owner is headed for a lonesome Christmas---until he speaks with the young errand boy and finds that his family lives out of town, so he, too, is expecting to spend Christmas alone. The shop owner gleefully invites the boy to join him for a fabulous Christmas Eve dinner at a local restaurant. Beautifully played by Frank Morgan and Charles Smith.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Great question!! I have to think about that a little. There are so many things that can make a Christmas movie a Christmas movie... the warm fuzzies with lights, decorations & winter scenes in The Christmas Gift to the comedy in Elf. In the meantime, I am looking up The Lemon Drop Kid & The Shop Around The Corner on Amazon!

I also love the movie Prancer!!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 22,608 Times in 3,644 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I just added the Lemondrop Kid & The Shop Around The Corner to my Netflix que!