Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » What defines a Christmas movie?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,130
Threads: 54,231
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,429)
Welcome to our newest member, LHansford

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,069 Times in 277 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I love While You Were Sleeping too and definitely consider it a Christmas movie!

For the most part, I think that if Christmas has a part of the actual storyline, then it is a Christmas movie. So Home Alone, While You Were Sleeping, Love Actually are right up there with Its a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol and Rudolph!

Now there are some that I do not consider Christmas movies, but yet, Christmas time seems like the appropriate time to watch them - such as: The Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz. Nothing really Christmas-y about them, but I grew up watching them on TV every holiday season.

Others like Die Hard or Gremlins, eh, not so much!

~Laney

Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Theres got to be a Christmas feel to the movie for me
Or a message, or something

If a tree shows up in one scene it doesnt automatically get added to my playlist.

Harry Potter for instance. I believe several of the movies have a Christmas type scene, but I don't watch these come December.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,983 Times in 9,777 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
Theres got to be a Christmas feel to the movie for me
Or a message, or something

If a tree shows up in one scene it doesnt automatically get added to my playlist.

Harry Potter for instance. I believe several of the movies have a Christmas type scene, but I don't watch these come December.
I don't understand the, Harry Potter, thing. Last year on, The Family Channel, when they had, The 25 Days of Christmas special, that I watch every year, they played Harry Potter as part of that. I didn't get it and a lot of others felt the same as me. I went to The Family Channel forums and they had a lot of upset people. I never joined or posted on there but read what others were saying. I just watched Fa La La La Lifetime and Hallmark more last year than I did Family Channel.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,065 Times in 613 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
I don't think the tv networks know what a Christmas movie or Christmas tv show is but there was a time they did know.
So many great older christmas movies that could be aired on network tv but of course they are not. So many great tv shows from the past that could be aired but again they are not.
So I buy the old Christmas tv shows on DVD and enjoy them commercial free.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by joyful View Post
I don't think the tv networks know what a Christmas movie or Christmas tv show is but there was a time they did know.
So many great older christmas movies that could be aired on network tv but of course they are not. So many great tv shows from the past that could be aired but again they are not.
So I buy the old Christmas tv shows on DVD and enjoy them commercial free.
Same here! That is why I own over 300 Christmas shows, cartoons and movies, the last time I counted a few years ago. I have added more since then. A lot are ones I recorded on vhs starting 22 years ago when my daughter was 1 year old, then every year kept adding more. In that collection is, of course, dvd's and bought vhs ones. I still pick up old vhs Christmas cartoons, movies and shows at thrift shops and garage sales. I can't believe with owning that many there are still 100's or maybe 1000's more Christmas shows I don't own. We do watch as many as we can each year and on tv as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:33 PM

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Same here! That is why I own over 300 Christmas shows, cartoons and movies, the last time I counted a few years ago. I have added more since then. A lot are ones I recorded on vhs starting 22 years ago when my daughter was 1 year old, then every year kept adding more. In that collection is, of course, dvd's and bought vhs ones. I still pick up old vhs Christmas cartoons, movies and shows at thrift shops and garage sales. I can't believe with owning that many there are still 100's or maybe 1000's more Christmas shows I don't own. We do watch as many as we can each year and on tv as well.
You should join us in the movies 365 group

Well you all should
Christmas-A-Holic (06-24-2009)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

christmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elfchristmas87 is a good elf
i like this topic cuz there are alot of movies that take place during christmas but arent nessceily a christmas movie.like harry potter.they have started doing this on the 25 days of christmas.they think becuz there are a couple christmas scenes in there its a christmas movie which i dont agree with at all.
The movie that i think people can debete on is the movie NOEL with robin williams.i know its around christmas time but it could be a toss up between it being a christmas movie or not.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dvdguy View Post
You should join us in the movies 365 group

Well you all should
Thanks! I am very new to these forums. I will certainly join it. I love talking Christmas movies and music, ummm, I love talking anything Christmas!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by christmas87 View Post
i like this topic cuz there are alot of movies that take place during christmas but arent nessceily a christmas movie.like harry potter.they have started doing this on the 25 days of christmas.they think becuz there are a couple christmas scenes in there its a christmas movie which i dont agree with at all.
The movie that i think people can debete on is the movie NOEL with robin williams.i know its around christmas time but it could be a toss up between it being a christmas movie or not.
My opinion on the Harry Potter movies is that because they have a Christmas scene in them, they play them for the ratings & not for the Christmas message
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
Thanks! I am very new to these forums. I will certainly join it. I love talking Christmas movies and music, ummm, I love talking anything Christmas!
Just to get off track for one second:

there are several groups on the forums that everyone can join. find the ones you like & join up.

Back to the track