Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Walter Cronkite, dies at age 92

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,941
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,079)
Welcome to our newest member, TeamYANTSU

Old 07-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,563 Times in 13,328 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star Walter Cronkite, dies at age 92

In the splintered, frantic, snark-happy, 500-channel multimedia universe in which we now live, it's hard to imagine one man with the kind of almost universal regard Cronkite, who died Friday at the age of 92, had in the 1960s and '70s. In retrospect, Cronkite seemed a little taken aback by his status; in his 1996 memoir, "A Reporter's Life," he is consistently self-deprecating and rarely fails to mention a writer, producer or CBS staffer who helped him nail a story.
But his power was undeniable. In those years, there were only three networks splitting the national television audience, and CBS was No. 1 for news, as it was in prime time.
Cronkite did not take his role lightly. He delivered the news with care and consideration and humanity, never far removed from his declarative sentence, wire service and radio announcing roots.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/17/cro...ion/index.html

I remember listening to him often on the news. He lived a long life and will always be remembered for his nightly sign off..."that's the way it is"

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,972 Times in 2,435 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Uncle Walter, as we called him in our house, was an anchor of my childhood. I remember the shock and sense of loss I felt when he retired.

You know, there is a great Christmas connection I have with Walter Cronkite, too. Back in 2003, I think it was, he came to Salt Lake City as the "guest artist" of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's annual Christmas concert and lived out a fantasy of his own by conducting the Choir in the Hallelujah chorus.

But he also narrated a presentation set to "Silent Night" about the "Christmas Truce" of 1918. The rich baritone coupled with his gravel-like twang told the story to perfection and coupled with a heart tugging arrangement of an 8-part men's chorus made it a compelling, moving thing to watch. The used pictures of family members of the choir who served in WWI and it put everyone in tears. I still watch this very presentation every year, making Walter Cronkite something of a Christmas tradition in our home as well.

God be with you, Mr. Cronkite. You were much appreciated and will be missed.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:30 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,972 Times in 2,435 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I found the video! Of course, it's not in surround sound on a big screen but it still moves me....
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-18-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,563 Times in 13,328 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star Thank you for sharing that

I have never heard it before, but it will be a part of our Christmas this year.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 161,351 Times in 30,668 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Prayers to his family and friends.

Thanks for posting the link Jeff.