Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » A Different Kind of Christmas

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Xtree1 Saying No to Black Friday
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 07:05 AM
Last post by sprinkleshouse
07-28-2013 02:25 PM
52,905 Views  5 Posts
“Happy Christmas Time”...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 02:56 PM
28,381 Views  0 Posts
Bells Joseph, Mary and Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:52 PM
63,586 Views  0 Posts
The 12 (Easy) Ways of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:52 PM
45,094 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 Yes, Virginia -- There...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 01:39 PM
0 Posts

Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,614 Times in 578 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
There are six cousins on my dads side of the family. When I was around 10 years old, one aunt decided she wanted to draw names instead of buying for all the cousins. She had one child, another aunt had two kids, and my dad had three. No matter the way we did it, mom still had to buy three gifts for the same three cousins! She didn't like it, but I know now why my aunt wanted it. She couldn't afford to buy five gifts, but she could swing one gift.

My SIL wanted to draw names between the three siblings & three in-laws two years ago. My sister said "NO!" I didn't want to either, but I just go with the flow. Sister, not so much!! Last year, my sister decided, after I had started buying gifts, that we needed to draw names! We rigged it to where I got SIL's name since I had already bought her gift! For years, we've exchanged with DH's sister and her DH and it was hard because you never knew what to get and usually got something you really didn't need/want. SIL & her DH had financial problems last year, so I suggested to her that we just buy for the kids (she has six, we have one).

You know what? It was fine. No extra junk to bring home with us, and we were able to really think about the few gifts we were giving. We draw names for stockings with my family too, so I ended up getting nothing for my sister and two gifts for my brother! It bothered me that I wasn't getting a gift for my sister, but it ended up being okay. We had four less gifts to buy in total, so $100 saved in our budget for gifts.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,285 Times in 3,109 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Oh officepro4u, I feel for you! That will be a hard "transition!" It's hard to change a good thing...especially for those reasons! 3/4 of the fun is all the shopping, the hustle & bustle & watching that person open their gift! Is there any way to change their minds? I hope you all enjoy anyway!!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,469 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
I know change can be very hard but even though you do not like what is being proposed you can still make it positive. Sing Christmas carols, play a couple games of Christmas Trivia prusuit and have cute little gag gifts for the winner. That will help to extend the time together. Other things you can is help out a needy family for the holidays or pick a child off of an angel tree and buy them a gift or two.

I had proposed to do something similar with DH's sibilings and a close friend of the whole family- drawn names or do an ornament exchange as it was getting to the point that in some cases gift cards were being exchanged in place of an actual gift. Not very christmassy in my book.

So after much discussion between me and DH this what we decided to do. The kids and I will be making homemade ornaments, cakes and breads to give as gifts to them. We are going to take the extra money we would have spent on their gifts and spend them a couple of troops stationed over in Irag and Afghanistan who normally would not be receiving anything. We will be able to help out a few deserving people in a true Christmas fashion.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
If your Brother and his Wife want to draw names for present fine let them, let them 'draw 2 names' for gifts and when they have handed their gifts out for Christmas and received theirs, you can go back to your own traditional family Christmas where everyone has brought presents for everyone else. If your Brother then has anything to say you can say 'Well we talked it over as a family and decided we liked our traditional Christmas best, so we did not want to hurt your feelings we also went along with your idea as well.

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottCalvin For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (08-11-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Christmaschick has shown a merry dispositionChristmaschick has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by ScottCalvin View Post
If your Brother and his Wife want to draw names for present fine let them, let them 'draw 2 names' for gifts and when they have handed their gifts out for Christmas and received theirs, you can go back to your own traditional family Christmas where everyone has brought presents for everyone else. If your Brother then has anything to say you can say 'Well we talked it over as a family and decided we liked our traditional Christmas best, so we did not want to hurt your feelings we also went along with your idea as well.

Good Idea!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by sdkluger View Post
Some people have more of Scrooge in them than the Christmas Spirit. That's a shame, but don't let it drag your Christmas down. We started drawing names when my brothers' and my families started getting bigger. We just didn't have the money to get for everyone. I'm used to it as that's what my parents, aunts, and uncles did. One of my brothers (he's single) has gotten something for everyone anyway. That's his choice. He doesn't expect to receive from everyone; he just gets for everyone. We understand and are glad he is able to do that. Perhaps you could suggest that homemade gifts should be given instead of store-bought gifts. Hopefully they wouldn't object to putting some of their time into their gifts.

Well said.