Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,472
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,038)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree The Evolution of...
By MMC Editor
10-10-2011 12:10 AM
66,236 Views  0 Posts
Dear Santa: Say a Prayer
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:37 PM
Last post by Christmasstar
07-11-2011 05:27 PM
1 Posts
Christmas Vacation...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:25 PM
Last post by carmenpaigee
07-16-2011 12:03 AM
67,152 Views  2 Posts
The 12 (Easy) Ways of...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:52 PM
45,192 Views  0 Posts
The True Story of Silent...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:58 PM
54,968 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,581 Times in 3,716 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
My Best Buddy...

Just a sad note to all you who have pets or are just animal lovers... my best buddy, my beagle Thor, passed away in his sleep last night. Thor was fourteen (maybe fifteen) and lived a full life, eleven of those years with us. He was fine up until Wednesday or Thursday when he had a sudden onset of what the Vet called Hemolytic Anemia... something not uncommon in older dogs and certain breeds (beagles being one of those breeds). Basically, it's an auto immune disorder where his white blood cells began attacking his red blood cells, causing them to burst. His organs were working overtime to compensate and his spleen, in particular, was enlarged to twice its normal size to filter out the hemoglobin... this disease strikes very fast... he grew lethargic on Wednesday (which we thought was due to the weather being 86 degrees) and threw up his last solid food on Thursday (again, not unusual for Thor... he was always eating crap off the ground and giving himself an upset stomach), he grew more lethargic on Friday and was breathing a little harder than usual... again, we thought it was a combination of the heat and an upset stomach... Saturday, we took him to the vet when I noticed blood in his stool (turns out it was actually unprocessed hemoglobin, not blood per se)... the Vet gave him steroids but told us not to hold out much hope for a dog of his advanced years. He said the next forty-eight hours would be critical and suggested that we take him to the animal hospital for a blood transfusion (not a cure, merely a delaying of the inevitable)... we chose to have him home with us instead. We didn't want him in a strange place surrounded by people he didn't know for his, most likely, last hours. We took him home, tried to give him the prescribed steroids but he threw them up within a half hour after taking them each time. Sunday, he rallied a bit from the I.V. steroids, enough to want to go into the yard under our lilac bush and dig a hole to lie in, presumably to die. He did this several times, laying in the 86 degree heat, but layed in the holes for about an hour, decided that he wasn't going to die, then hobbled back into the house for some water... around two o'clock, I brought him in and put him in his day bed on the couch (he was too weak to walk at that point)... he layed there for the remainder of the day, growing steadily weaker until he couldn't even sit up without help... Denise, Megan and I all sat with him and petted him and told him what a good boy he was and how much we loved him... realize, he was never in any pain (or discomfort) until midnight or so when his breathing became really labored... we propped him up on pillows to help alleviate this... his bed in his pen was next ours and I had trouble sleeping listening to his labored breathing so I went downstairs to sleep on the couch... I was laying awake about 2:15 in the morning when I SWEAR I heard his distinctive bark off in the distance (a dog owner can recognize his dog's bark among all others, just like a mother can pick out her child's cry)... five minutes later, Denise came down and told me he wasn't making that breathing sound anymore... I went up and checked. Thor, my buddy, was gone... but he stopped by to bark a goodbye to his "dad"... he died in his sleep, surrounded by a family that loved him... we should all be allowed to go that way. He was my best buddy and constant companion for the past eleven years. I loved him more than I can express in words and I will miss him always. I've been crying like a baby for the past two days and, in fact, am getting weepy just typing this... my healthy, happy dog was taken from me in three short days... but he knew I loved him... if you have a pet, please spend some quality time with him/her today... you just never know. Thanks for listening.

Me, Thor and Megan at Obedience School Graduation eleven years ago.
ballcoach (08-17-2009), Head Elf (08-23-2009), ILuvChristmas (08-23-2009), Meceka (08-17-2009), sugarplum fairy (08-23-2009), trackrebel (08-17-2009), Wenceslaus (08-19-2009)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,411 Times in 1,737 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Oh George, my heart goes out to you - been there, done that and still it hurts 4 years on. Hope this helps (it'll probably make you cry again!)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,581 Times in 3,716 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
How very appropriate to talk about the Rainbow Bridge for a dog named "Thor"... thank you... I'm bawling like a baby right now...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

digbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry dispositiondigbugsgirl has shown a merry disposition
I'm so sorry George. I have three and know the day will come when I have to say goodbye. The oldest just turned 7 Saturday, so hopefully we'll have plenty of time together. We almost lost our youngest last year from a groundhog attack (of all things!) I can't imagine what it's going to be like when they do pass on, but I know it's going to be painful. They are, after all, my children.
The Following User Says Thank You to digbugsgirl For This Useful Post:
George Broderick, Jr. (08-17-2009)
Old 08-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,618 Times in 579 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
George, I really do understand. You see, I am taking our 15-year-old cat this afternoon to be put to sleep. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she was our "baby" for 11 years until our daughter was born.

We noticed last Tuesday that she hadn't eaten anything on Monday. We noticed Wednesday that she was breathing heavily. I took her to the vet on Thursday and found out she has a heart condition that has caused fluid to fill in and around her heart, causing the breathing problem, and no blood getting to her lower half of the body. I could have had her put to sleep then, but DH was in meetings at work and I wasn't sure what he wanted to do. We should have discussed it before I took her. The doctor gave her a Lasix (sp?) shot to drain the fluid.

The cat has been lying around since then, but drank a lot of water Friday and has been eating almost normally as well. We were hoping she would die before today so we wouldn't have to take her back to the vet. Alas, unless she has passed on during the day today, I leave in about an hour to start the trek to the vet. Just trying to figure out how to explain all of this to our 4-year-old daughter. I have to take her with me to the vet's office...
The Following User Says Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 145,295 Times in 26,723 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Prayers to your entire family George. I remeber what it was like when I lost my dog in high school. I had him from the time I was three years old until I was 16 and I cried for days. He meant even more to me because I went with my grandpa to pick him out just days before he died of a heart attack. So losing him was kind of like losing the last little piece of my grandpa.
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,915 Times in 9,105 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I feel your pain. I am so in love with my animals and my one dog, Chico, who is my very best friend. I cannot even bring myself to think of life without him. It is so hard to lose a pet/family member. I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Great reminder to spend lots of time with your pets. I know I do spend lots and lots of time with mine. Prayers are with you at this time!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,147 Times in 3,699 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Hi George...my heart goes out to You and Your family. I have a cat...and my mom has two...and I love pretty much every animal I see........I feel Your pain and hope Thor didt feel too much of it.
May Thor rest in peace...poor little fella...

I´m bawling...it just makes me weep

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,147 Times in 3,699 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
just one more thing....Thor was a very beautifull dog...I can just imagine that joy and love he brought to Your house

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,772 Times in 4,433 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am sorry, my friend. I know what a great companion a dog can be. It's terrible that they have such short life spans.

My hunting partner, Ben, is a 14 year old black lab, now with a gray chin. I got him right after Nancy & I got married, so he's older than my children. He still loves to play, but he moves a lot slower than he used to. I don't try to throw the frisbee anymore because I'm afraid he'd hurt himself trying to catch it. I'll toss a tennis ball a few steps away for him, and happily goes to get it. I think I'll take him bird hunting again this December when it's cooler. He loves that so much.

It scares me when I call him and he doesn't move right away. He's getting hard of hearing, too.

It's an awful loss when a good friend is take away like that. Let me know if I can do anything for you.